PDA

View Full Version : What's the plan after McGahee??

bigbub2352
03-08-2007, 08:59 AM
It is painfully obvious our current starting running back will be someone else's problem next year, so that leaves us with the dilemma of what we do in his place...

Do u draft a RB in the first round, and sign a vet?

Do u sign a vet and draft a runnning back on the first day?

Do u sign two mediocore vets and not draft a running back?

Do u not sign any vets draft 2 rbs one on the first day and one on the second?

Do u sign a vet and not draft a RB and hope to find some camp casulties later during camp?

Or do u sign A-Train and keep Shaud, and draft or sign a UDFA this upcoming April?

I personally think we draft a RB on the first day, and sign 2 vets to compete in camp to be the change of pass back to who we draft..
any thoughts?

gr8slayer
03-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Marshawn Lynch.

RockStar36
03-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Draft a RB in the 1st or 2nd and have him split time w/ Chris Brown or Corey Dillon.

acehole
03-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Trade this years second (Ravens) and next years second to Sd for M Turner and Resign A Thomas. We have a 3rd down back in S Williams. We could take a flyer on M Bush in the 3rd if he is there. A vet a up and coming jorneyman and a rookie.

Anything else?

gr8slayer
03-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Trade this years second (Ravens) and next years second to Sd for M Turner and Resign A Thomas. We have a 3rd down back in S Williams. We could take a flyer on M Bush in the 3rd if he is there. A vet a up and coming jorneyman and a rookie.

Anything else?
Marshawn Lynch. We need our second round picks, there are too many holes on the team.

RockStar36
03-08-2007, 09:07 AM
If Willis is available at 12 it's going to be hard to pass that up. I'm completely undecided on what I'd do if Lynch and Willis were both available.

SpanishBill
03-08-2007, 09:12 AM

Anything else?
Agreed. As I said in another post I think Michael Turner could be the answer (not The Answer :; ) if we finally trade McGahee. But do you think he would cost two 2nd round picks? I think that's too much. Maybe just for the 2nd we get from Baltimore (if we do get it)?

bigbub2352
03-08-2007, 09:12 AM
If the trade goes down, i think u either go D or RB with first pick, if u go D, then u take a rb with your first pick in the second round

Bye the way how do u give/get rep..

gr8slayer
03-08-2007, 09:14 AM
If Willis is available at 12 it's going to be hard to pass that up. I'm completely undecided on what I'd do if Lynch and Willis were both available.
Lynch. We are fine at LB with Spikes-Killer-Ellison

mysticsoto
03-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Sign Chris Brown for 1 yr with incentives so that he is not expensive if he goes down with an injury and only achieves a decent salary if he gets a certain amt of yardage and games played in.

Sign Rhodes for 1 yr that is not to expensive and with incentives also. Let him know that he will likely play behind Brown but that he's likely to get good playing time b'cse of injuries and could become the #1 back as the season goes on.

Draft Adrian Peterson if he's there at 12 (yes, this is a possibility now). If not, draft a later decent raw prospect that can be put on the PS and maybe move into 3rd string the following year replacing Shaud.

Draft franchise RB in '08 if we don't get Adrian Peterson.

This is how I would approach it.

gr8slayer
03-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Sign Chris Brown for 1 yr with incentives so that he is not expensive if he goes down with an injury and only achieves a decent salary if he gets a certain amt of yardage and games played in.

Sign Rhodes for 1 yr that is not to expensive and with incentives also. Let him know that he will likely play behind Brown but that he's likely to get good playing time b'cse of injuries and could become the #1 back as the season goes on.

Draft Adrian Peterson if he's there at 12 (yes, this is a possibility now). If not, draft a later decent raw prospect that can be put on the PS and maybe move into 3rd string the following year replacing Shaud.

Draft franchise RB in '08 if we don't get Adrian Peterson.

This is how I would approach it.

The Browns are reportedly intent on using a two-back system in 2007.
The door on Cleveland selecting Adrian Peterson at No. 3 may have not completely swung shut, and will be more realistic if Reuben Droughns is released once his $1.75 million roster bonus comes due next week.

alohabillsfan
03-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Bring in a vet.

Dillon and draft Bush (aquired from the highly speculated not yet true trade to Baltimore).

Overall draft to look like this..

12 DT A. Okoye
43 RB M. Bush
61 CB C. Houston
74 MLB DeOssie
107 OLB S. Nichols
169 WR Trannon
203 Either Safety or small quick pass catching RB!

gr8slayer
03-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Bring in a vet.

Dillon and draft Bush (aquired from the highly speculated not yet true trade to Baltimore).

Overall draft to look like this..

12 DT A. Okoye
43 RB M. Bush
61 CB C. Houston
74 MLB DeOssie
107 OLB S. Nichols
169 WR Trannon
203 Either Safety or small quick pass catching RB!
I doubt Houston will be there at 61

acehole
03-08-2007, 10:10 AM
At the very least doent a Mcgahee trade set the bar for M Turner? I mean If we were to get the 2nd this and next year 5th from the ravens would you be happy then shipping those off for turner?

Agreed. As I said in another post I think Michael Turner could be the answer (not The Answer :; ) if we finally trade McGahee. But do you think he would cost two 2nd round picks? I think that's too much. Maybe just for the 2nd we get from Baltimore (if we do get it)?

SpanishBill
03-08-2007, 10:30 AM
At the very least doent a Mcgahee trade set the bar for M Turner? I mean If we were to get the 2nd this and next year 5th from the ravens would you be happy then shipping those off for turner?
Absolutely. I do agree with you that McGahee's trade should set the bar fot Turner's. Even some could argue that McGahee has shown much more than Turner on the football field (off field is another matter), and they'd be right, that's why I didn't like two 2nd rounds for Turner. But a 2nd and a 2008 5th round or lower sounds great to me :up:

In fact, I'd swap whatever we get from McGahee to get Turner... as long as we get a 2nd, which isn't that clear, because if we just have one 2nd round pick I don't see it happening with all our needs. And SD won't bait for a 3rd and another low pick (my guess).

camelcowboy
03-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I vote after this mcgahee thing is over that the bills start focusing on adding to this team and not dismantling it. We have alot of needs mcgahee traded makes one more. Rest of the Off season should be about Plugging holes at corner, DT, and RB. Oh yeah they may trade spikes as well. This offseason is giving me a massive migraine.

bigbub2352
03-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Only thing is with Turner is he might cost alot to sign, as well as give up a 2nd for him, i am not oppossed to this since the RB situation is so thin in the draft, but still u dont know how effective Turner will be as a full time starter

lightningbolt444
03-08-2007, 10:39 AM
my view on running back is draft lynch that being said i still think we need to sign a vet too but dont think we should sign any of the three that have come to buffalo i think we should wait till the second wave of free agents hit when a lot of players are cut because of their roster bonuses ala Droughns.

lightningbolt444
03-08-2007, 10:43 AM
i dont think turner is the answer hes behind a great line and even more so behind one of the best running-backs of all time. He will command a lot of money as well as both our 2nd round picks so say good bye to filling a lot of our holes so we can take a chance on an unproven back that is a great back-up but who knows how he would be as a full time starter getting 15-20 carries a game it take a special type of person who can take the beating the runningbacks do year in and year out and still be productive

kgun12
03-08-2007, 10:51 AM
The child protection department of Social Services in Buffalo will throw a big party :balloons: and go on a long and well deserved vacation! :whew:

Ed
03-08-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't know anything about next years draft class, but I have heard that it will be a strong and deep one for RB's. So with that said, I'd like to see us bring in Chris Brown or Dillon and draft a RB early, but only if it's someone that the Bills really think could turn into something special. I don't want to see us waste a draft pick this year on a RB if he's only going to be a part time player and we have a chance to pick up someone even better next year.

I wouldn't be opposed to going after Lynch in Rd 1, but only if Okoye isn't available and we are still able to address our LB needs through free agency or the draft. It sounds like there could be some good LB prospects in rounds 2 and 3.

acehole
03-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Agree agree and agree. We can still draft one 3-7 round as insurance/change of pace back and also Resign A thomas. Baltimores 2nd is almost at 3 and under my sceanrio we would keep our own 2nd.

Vin
Only thing is with Turner is he might cost alot to sign, as well as give up a 2nd for him, i am not oppossed to this since the RB situation is so thin in the draft, but still u dont know how effective Turner will be as a full time starter

bigbub2352
03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
rather draft an unrpoven then sign one i guess, for starter money

bigbub2352
03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
rather draft an unrpoven then sign one i guess, for starter money

SpanishBill
03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I see your point, bigbub. But if nobody gives him a chance to be a full time starter, well never know is he's a great player either. I understand that Turner has rushed just 157 times in three years, but that 6 yds avg and those 941 yds are pretty impressive. That's why I say let's be us who gives him his chance. Besides, the guy does not have off-field issues that I know of and does not open his mouth (pretty difficult to do when LT is in front of you, anyways...).

But even if I'm up for giving a 2nd for him, I'm not up for breaking the bank. Do you think he'd demand outrageous money even after being a carrer backup to this point?

SpanishBill
03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Agree agree and agree. We can still draft one 3-7 round as insurance/change of pace back and also Resign A thomas. Baltimores 2nd is almost at 3 and under my sceanrio we would keep our own 2nd.

Vin
Yep, no dobt we should keep our 2nd. I said ship to SD what we get from the Ravens to get Turner, but do not touch our picks. So hook me up to your bandwagon ;)

But I think this discussion, as interesting it might be at least for me, has become useless as it seems we got two 3rds (2007 and 2008) and a 7th (2007) so...

bigbub2352
03-08-2007, 11:40 AM
i was just gonna say that spanish bill, now i think we draft a rb or 2 and sign a vet, but i see what u were sayin but to give up a 2nd to unproven is too much, rather just draft and see, no the real offseason begins, time to fill some wholes....

SpanishBill
03-08-2007, 11:59 AM
i was just gonna say that spanish bill, now i think we draft a rb or 2 and sign a vet, but i see what u were sayin but to give up a 2nd to unproven is too much, rather just draft and see, no the real offseason begins, time to fill some wholes....
Now there's no way I'd give a 2nd round for him if it has to be ours. If the price is right, I'd still prefer Turner over a young college stud. Maybe both aren't proven (well, at least Turner has seen some NFL action), but I think Turner would have more to prove after all the comments about getting those nice numbers because LT and SD's O-Line. That 'I-have-to-prove-i'm-not-just-LT's-little-b!tch' mindset could be an asset, IMHO.

But I understand that by getting a rookie you're getting 'your man', not somebody else's second plate, and that's nice... but much unproven.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-08-2007, 01:07 PM
I'd sign Dillon--promising him that he would be the starter this season and split minutes next season--which, at 32, is probably all that he can ask for and would probably accept.

Then, I would draft B.Leonard or K.Irons--whichever one falls to the Bills in Round 3, my preference being Leonard--this year to back-up Dillon and get some experience filling in for him. Even as the starter, Dillon can only handle about 20 touches per game at this point, so there would be enough touches for the rookie to get his feet wet. S.Williams would be the emergency back and play some on third downs.

Next season, when the draft promises to have some real franchise backs of the type who would be a better fit for the Bills, the Bills could use their first round pick on a RB. Dillon would start as the rookie worked his way into the lineup until, by the end of the season, Dillon would be basically splitting carries with the rookie. The RB picked this year would serve as the 3rd down back replacing S.Williams (Leonard would be the ideal guy because he is a good blocker and receiver out of the backfield and is unselfish).

Then, Dillon could retire--at age 34 it would be time and he would probably be ready to--and the Bills would have a solid tandem of RBs, with the RB taken next year starting and the one this year being his Kenny Davis. And the Bills could pick up a late round RB to serve as the # 3 behind them.

Again, a guy like B.Leonard would be the ideal guy in this year's draft to do this. I don't know if the Bills will be able to get him, but, if they could, he would be a great acquisition if they wanted to try to do this.

If the Bills miss out on Leonard, they could still bring in a cheap FA RB to back up Dillon: K.Barlow has been a starter, A.Thomas would be a possibility, and, while D.Blaylock didn't do much as a starter for the Jets, he was a pretty good change-of-pace RB as the # 2 for KC before going to the Jets.

Why Dillon? Even though he has lost a step, he is more proven than M.Turner and will cost a lot less, in draft picks and money, to obtain. And, he will be motivated to show the Pats that he is not washed up and good for only 8 carries a game. Also, while Dillon can be egotistical, he does play hard and is a tough runner--especially around the goal line.

ShadowHawk7
03-08-2007, 01:38 PM
I'd take Brown of FA, then Pittman in the 3rd.

bigbub2352
03-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Now there's no way I'd give a 2nd round for him if it has to be ours. If the price is right, I'd still prefer Turner over a young college stud. Maybe both aren't proven (well, at least Turner has seen some NFL action), but I think Turner would have more to prove after all the comments about getting those nice numbers because LT and SD's O-Line. That 'I-have-to-prove-i'm-not-just-LT's-little-b!tch' mindset could be an asset, IMHO.

But I understand that by getting a rookie you're getting 'your man', not somebody else's second plate, and that's nice... but much unproven.

I think the compesation for signing Turner to a offer sheet is a 2nd rounder, i really think we got a shot now at Peterson or Lynch, with the 3rd rounder to use as leverage to move up if we can, it would solve alot of problems to get Peterson if we could

Saratoga Slim
03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Draft a RB in the 1st or 2nd and have him split time w/ Chris Brown or Corey Dillon.
RB in the 2nd together with Brown/Dillon/Rhodes/Thomas is the plan I like best. I don't see value at RB at #12 cause Peterson will be gone and I am not enamored of Lynch. It would be nice to wait until next year when there's allegedly a better crop of RBs to choose from, but it would also be nice to have a running game this year.

SpanishBill
03-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Why Dillon? Even though he has lost a step, he is more proven than M.Turner and will cost a lot less, in draft picks and money, to obtain. And, he will be motivated to show the Pats that he is not washed up and good for only 8 carries a game. Also, while Dillon can be egotistical, he does play hard and is a tough runner--especially around the goal line.
No doubt Dillon is way more proven than Turner and will cost less, but obviously he's not a long term answer for the RB position. And don't you think Turner would be motivated not only to show the Pats but the whole entire league he's not just LT 'ugly brother'?