PDA

View Full Version : Grade The Marv on the McGahee Trade Deal

Meathead
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
and please no doddering old fools

patmoran2006
03-08-2007, 12:17 PM
B-

Wish he could've gotten the second.. But with the market the way it was, this was the most he was going to get for him.

Good player.. Crippling Cancer teammate.. Had no choice

OpIv37
03-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I would have preferred a second but you can't complain too much about two first-day picks for a 900 yard RB who doesn't catch or block well.

Elminster
03-08-2007, 12:19 PM
What seals it to me is that we're getting essentially two 3rds and a 7th. We have more picks this year and the next, which gives a lot of draft day flexibility. Based upon what we got last year, I'm happy with the 3rd and the 7th. We could even move up now, in theory...in the 2nd, I'm guessing...

kgun12
03-08-2007, 12:21 PM
A+

Cutting away a cancer from the team is alaways a good thing!

Static
03-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I think you guys should have atleast got a second rounder out of them.

jmb1099
03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
I am really impressed. Not only did we shore up the draft this year, but next as well. This is what building for the future is all about.

bflojohn
03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
One of the things I like the most is that the Bills acquire another first day pick and can parlay the 2008 3rd rounder to move up if they wish. The point is that this draft is tailor made for the Bills because it is strong where the Bills are in the most need. CB, as an example, has talent into the 3rd round this year, and the Bills are in need of depth there. The DL's in this draft are exactly the same way, IMO!! I would say LB in the 1st round and follow that up with CB in the 2nd and DL in the 3rd....

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Worst deal ever!!

Marv sucks! This team will be lucky to win one game next year!

I give it a B. A second would have been a A.

Night Train
03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Worst deal ever!!

Marv sucks! This team will be lucky to win one game next year!

How did FTP break into your account ? :bandwagon

DraftBoy
03-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I gave it a C, I think Willis will have a great year next year and have some fans *****ing but until I see what we do with these picks, and what Willis does over the next few years, I have no real judgement.

Bert102176
03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
I won't go as far as saying Marv suck's but he got hosed in this deal, I like Marv but am not sure how good of a DM he is gonna be, I mean we need 1 MLB possibly a OLB if we get rid of spikes, and now a major need at RB and all that is in Free Agency is a bunch of 2nd tier hacks a.k.a. Dillon, Brown, Rhodes and any other one out there, plus we need an upgrade at WR, and a TE. I think MLB will be dealt with when we draft Willis, then RB in the 2nd but I would feel better if we had a good veteran at RB also. oh and I gave the trade a C-

Michael82
03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
I would have preferred that the Ravens give us their 2nd round pick, especially seeing how low their 3rd rounder is. But I won't complain, we did get another first day pick in next year's draft and that is huge. The better trade would have been if it was a conditional 3rd that could upgrade to a 2nd depending on the kind of year that he has.

The Answer
03-08-2007, 01:01 PM
It appears that Marv is one shrewd GM after all - Donablow would have never accomplished a feat like this.

The Answer gives Marv an A so far in free agency - no time to shift gears though to a more comfortable speed. We still need to make moves and address the LB, CB, RB, FB positions.

The Answer would like to see a few other veterans brought in so we don't have to rely on rookies from the draft.

Also critical here - need to keep both 3rd rounders this year instead of making another mccargo type of move.

~The Answer

Saratoga Slim
03-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I think its an open question whether McGahee is worth more than the draft picks we got. Hard to say for sure without seeing what he can do behind a solid O-line. He probably will have a great year in 2007. And we now have a big hole to fill at an important position.

But we did get two day one picks and a 7th rounder. I was prepared for the possiblity that we'd trade him straight up for one 3rd, which is what early speculation was.

When you throw in his lack of interest in reporting to offseason workouts or to otherwise invest in the team, reported failure to study the playbook (whether or not that's true), and general "me" attitude, I think it was a OK deal for us.

Add in the fact that we were very unlikely to resign him and thus he'd walk after next season, and I've got to say Marv got a good result all things considered.

Saratoga Slim
03-08-2007, 01:08 PM
And let me add this: Marv got a HELL of a better deal for McGahee than Jerry Angelo did for Thomas Jones. That actually makes Marv's work more impressive, as he had to work against the precedent set by the TJ deal--the most comparable back to Willis on the market.

TigerJ
03-08-2007, 01:14 PM
The third next year is a nice bonus.

Mad Bomber
03-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I would have preferred a second but you can't complain too much about two first-day picks for a 900 yard RB who doesn't catch or block well.

"This is a runner who can make people miss and has the explosion and speed to take it the distance," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "He also has the power and size to run inside. He's a viable receiver out of the backfield and is a good pass blocker, not something every back can do."

Ozzie doesn't know what he's getting.

ShadowHawk7
03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
And let me add this: Marv got a HELL of a better deal for McGahee than Jerry Angelo did for Thomas Jones. That actually makes Marv's work more impressive, as he had to work against the precedent set by the TJ deal--the most comparable back to Willis on the market.
I don't know.. A mid 2nd this year could be considered better than 2 late 3rds, one next year.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-08-2007, 01:38 PM
I give Marv an A-/B+ for the deal.

I would have liked to see them get a 2nd rounder for McGahee because that would have made it easier for the Bills to address their needs in this year's draft. But, given the market and the precedent set by the T.Jones deal, I think getting the second first day pick next year makes the deal a pretty good one for the Bills. They lose a potentially pretty good RB who has generally been a disappointment and could have been a real problem in the lockerroom this season and gain some real flexibility in this draft that could pay off. (What I don't like is that moving McGahee--for any price lower than a first rounder--may tempt the Bills into taking Lynch and not a player who can fill one of their major holes on defense. But, I'm not sure that they had a choice in terms of keeping Willis after his Playboy interview--not only would the Bills lose him for nothing because they would not re-sign him, but the Buffalo fans would give him a world of grief for his comments.

With the Ravens losing Pashos and now cutting Mulitalo, I'm not sure how good of a season McGahee will have this season. Even with those losses, the Ravens' O-line probably will be a shade better than the lines he ran behind with the Bills in 2005 and 2006, but not much. And, while Willis will start out being motivated to show how good he is, I'm not sure that he will continue to run hard if the Baltimore O-line struggles this season. Willis may find that the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" now that he has gone to Baltimore and the Bills have upgraded their offensive line.

djjimkelly
03-08-2007, 01:40 PM
A 2 3rds for a back that doesnt fit into the offense your trying to run is genius

Billsrock4life
03-08-2007, 04:12 PM
B+......I wouldve liked 2 see marv get us a 2nd but oh well hes proved that hes good at drafting so 3 picks is a good deal for us

YardRat
03-08-2007, 04:42 PM
B. Could go up or down depending on what we do with the picks.

Michael82
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
B+......I wouldve liked 2 see marv get us a 2nd but oh well hes proved that hes good at drafting so 3 picks is a good deal for us
That's a good point. Look at what he did with the 2 3rds last year. :up:

He got a good player in Youboty that many people consider a steal. Plus he used the extra 3rd to move back into the 1st. I wouldn't be surprised if he did that again this year.

Elminster
03-08-2007, 04:59 PM
That's a good point. Look at what he did with the 2 3rds last year. :up:

He got a good player in Youboty that many people consider a steal. Plus he used the extra 3rd to move back into the 1st. I wouldn't be surprised if he did that again this year.
Hmmm...just imagine if Lynch slips! Wills/Okoye/Hall and Lynch...how sweet would that be?

Michael82
03-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Hmmm...just imagine if Lynch slips! Wills/Okoye/Hall and Lynch...how sweet would that be?
:drool: :dream:

!Papacrunk!
03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I think that's a pretty good deal, and like the posters above, it will be an even better depending on how the extra picks pan out.

GarnOFreak
03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
I reallt like the 3rd next year when the RB crop is supposed to be better. I say sign a body to a one or two year dealwith maybe a third year as an option(Dillon would be great for this). Start hi mthis year and then have him share with a rookie next year. Two first days picks is great. The 7th this year probably won't amoun to much, but they can afford to take a chance on somone who slips..maybe even grab a FB to groom.