is there any doubt that Marv is cleaning house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

is there any doubt that Marv is cleaning house?

In about one and a quarter off-seasons, he's cut, traded or refused to re-sign numerous starters/name players from the Donahoe era:

Sam Adams
    Troy Vincent
    Lawyer Milloy
    Jeff Posey
    Eric Moulds
    Bennie Anderson
    Chris Villarial
    Willis McGahee
    London Fletcher
    Nate Clements
    Mark Campbell

In addition, it looks unlikely that Shelton will return, Holcomb may or may not be out, and there were rumors of trading Spikes (but I haven't heard anything about that since Friday so it may not happen).

A lot of these guys were getting old, and at least in the case of Adams and Moulds, the situation between them and the team had become unsustainable so Marv didn't have much choice. And I really think Marv would have kept Clements if it wasn't for the insane cost.

In a lot of ways, this is good. Our team is getting younger and they're the guys that Marv chose, not holdovers from the previous ways. In some ways, it's bad- we've lost a lot of experience. Has anyone on this team even played in a playoff game? I'm thinking maybe Dockery and Royal in 05, Tripplett, and Peerless Price (?)- that's it. And it will take time for this team to develop.

Overall, I'm hoping we're rebuilding the right way this time. I think the base is there for the offense in Losman, Evans, Peters and Dockery and we're just filling in pieces. The D is so young that it's hard to tell if the base is there or not. It seems to me that we've got Whitner, Schobel and a bunch of unproven or middle-of-the-road guys after that. I still say we need 2-3 players on D to avoid being stat fodder on D this year.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: is there any doubt that Marv is cleaning house?

Good post..

I agree.. I think the future is more solid than it was two years ago.

If we could draft some more good talent, I think that in 2008 we could be a legit contender.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• madness
      • Apr 2003

The guy definitely has a plan.

Comment

• billsburgh
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by madness
        The guy definitely has a plan.
        too bad he may not live long enough to see it come to fruition.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Aug 2004

I read somewhere before the Bills traded McGahee that there are only 39 players remaining on the roster of the 59 who were on it when Levy took over. And I don't think that counted Shelton or any of the other FAs who might not be back or Holcomb or any of the others who might not make it through training camp.

Given the mess that the Bills lockerroom was at the end of the 2005 season, I can't blame M.Levy for cleaning house and getting rid of a lot of those players. That team didn't have a good or winning attitude at all: for a bunch of veteran players to repeatedly talk about their goal just being to make the playoffs instead of talking about trying to win a Super Bowl title (whether they were good enough to do it or not) tells you that they were a group that didn't know what it took to be real winners. And, IMHO, having them moved out is no great loss--I want guys on the team who are committed to winning it all and are going to work to that end, regardless of how realistic that may be; I don't want guys who will settle for making the playoffs and a first round playoff exit.
          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

I agree, but notice that Levy is pretty selective. He's not just getting rid of players because they were Donahoe favs. Except for Clements and Fletcher (salary issues coupled with Fletcher's ineffectiveness at stopping the run) every one of those guys was older and declining in effectiveness (Vincent, Moulds, Adams) or an underachiever (McGahee, Posey). The message is clear. "You need to perform and you need to be a team player or you're gone as soon as we don't need you any more."
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
              • Jul 2005

I look at the Willis trade as the symbolic end of the TD era. McGahee was his signature pick, the pick that everyone remembers when they think of TD. Granted we still have JP, Lee and numerous other TD draftees, but today I feel like we've officially moved on.

I think the previous posts in this thread are pretty accurate. I fully agree that Marv has a plan of action, and that he's proven without a doubt that no one, no matter how talented, is safe if they don't fit the scheme, or just as importantly, buy into the team-first concept. And I like that. I think he's laying the groundwork for the type of franchise that can be successful for a long time.

FA isn't over and I'll bet the bank that we're going to see some more personnel moves. Nonetheless, I agree with both Pat and Op that we're probably going to come up a few pieces short from being a real contender this year, though I think we're going to improve from 7-9.

Whatever happens this season, I am gaining more and more confidence that this club is headed in a very good direction.
              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

good. there should be a lot of house cleaning going on.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• njsue
                  Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                  • Sep 2003

I BILLIEVE!

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                    !?!?!?!?!?
                    • Mar 2006

2009 we make playoffs for sure and by 2010 we are Super Bowl contenders

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      In about one and a quarter off-seasons, he's cut, traded or refused to re-sign numerous starters/name players from the Donahoe era:

Sam Adams
                      Troy Vincent
                      Lawyer Milloy
                      Jeff Posey
                      Eric Moulds
                      Bennie Anderson
                      Chris Villarial
                      Willis McGahee
                      London Fletcher
                      Nate Clements
                      Mark Campbell

losman will be added to that list next year around this time.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                        • Jun 2005

Losman wont be added to that list. The only thing that is going to happen with Losman is you and Dummy appoligizing to him and the fans who were right when he is a probowl QB this coming season.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsIN05
                          Losman wont be added to that list. The only thing that is going to happen with Losman is you and Dummy appoligizing to him and the fans who were right when he is a probowl QB this coming season.

all the better to get rid of him.
                          Originally posted by yordad
                          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• jamesiscool
                            suck it fool.
                            • Feb 2007

marv is just cleaning up the mess that TD made in his stay here. he'sfiding players who believe and fit in the new coaches system instead of the old regime's tendency to make a splash in FA and the draft and hope to god they work in our system or aren't to old to get a few good years out of them.

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                            all the better to get rid of him.
                            ignorant statement
                            Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• unpaid_bills
                              • Nov 2004

we couldnt win with them so ....
                              Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills .... Bills Mafia for life

Comment

Working...
                              X