PDA

View Full Version : Is two 3rd round picks better than a 2nd this year?

HHURRICANE
03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm on vacation right now so I haven't been keeping up on everything but I wish we had rec'd a 2nd rounder and a 7th to be used this year. Two 3rd rounders is okay but not as big of an impact.

Actaully it's a crappy deal because we don't realize the full benefit of the trade until next year.

Devin
03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
With good drafting and better coaching it doesnt matter where you pick.

i.e. Colston, Brady...Peters.....etc.

Ill take the 3 picks.

Philagape
03-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Extra thirds can be traded to get higher picks

casdhf
We're just in round 2 of this Jauron process, I'm sure it'll be another season before we see full potential. We will be able to use the 3rd next season as well.

Maybe we can get a comp pick for losing Clements and Fletcher as well?

The Answer
I'm on vacation right now so I haven't been keeping up on everything but I wish we had rec'd a 2nd rounder and a 7th to be used this year. Two 3rd rounders is okay but not as big of an impact.

Actaully it's a crappy deal because we don't realize the full benefit of the trade until next year.

It's a good deal as is assuming we keep all the picks - but if Marv pulls another McCargo type of move than it will be questionable.

Regardless Mcgahee was only worth a 4th round pick at best anyway, so The Answer shouldn't complain.

~The Answer

TigerJ
03-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I would rather have had the second, but when you consider that some folks thought Buffalo would get no better than a third, 2 thirds and a seventh is a pretty good deal.

RockStar36
03-08-2007, 04:49 PM
The two 3rd round picks are better for the team in the long run. A 2nd round pick would probably have made a bigger impact this season but I'm perfectly ok with what they got.

DraftBoy
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Deepest draft in a while, two 3rds over a 2nd any day in this class

Yasgur's Farm
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Technically speaking... Considering it's Ravens picks... (2) 3rds = ~250 points while (1) 2nd = ~280.

Captain gameboy
03-08-2007, 05:01 PM

It isn't a "crappy deal" at all.

Part of being a GM is clearing up current problems and preventing them from becoming major problems.

Willis was a current problem about to become a training camp distraction/major problem.

This deal puts the ball in the scouting dept and NFL player personnel dept.'s court.
Thats what they get paid for.

I am so, so sick of Willis and his agent talking about how good he could be while thinking that every single time a Bill was down after a play that it was WM and how many plays would he be out for now.

The guy and his package are freakin' jerks.

Get rid of the trash and move on.

gr8slayer
03-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Always take more picks over higher picks.

Ed
03-08-2007, 05:05 PM
I'd take 2 3rds over a 2nd anyday. I don't think the difference in talent between the 2nd and 3rd round is really that significant. It's all about doing your homework and having some luck. Some 3rd rounders turn out great some 2nd rounders turn out to be busts and vice versa. So at least with 2 3rd round picks you have and extra shot at getting a good player, even if you have to wait until next year.

mikemac2001
03-08-2007, 05:11 PM
I'd take 2 3rds over a 2nd anyday. I don't think the difference in talent between the 2nd and 3rd round is really that significant. It's all about doing your homework and having some luck. Some 3rd rounders turn out great some 2nd rounders turn out to be busts and vice versa. So at least with 2 3rd round picks you have and extra shot at getting a good player, even if you have to wait until next year.

:clap: :clap:

Jan Reimers
03-08-2007, 05:18 PM
We received a 3rd and 7th this year, and a 3rd in 2008, for an average, unmotivated RB who never even seemed to be a true part of our team.

Congratulations, Marv, on a GREAT trade.

Jan Reimers
03-08-2007, 05:21 PM
P.S. No one was going to give us a 2nd anyway, so that's not really an issue.

HHURRICANE
03-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Maybe that second rounder helps get us back into the first. I would really like to win in 2007. A decade of rebuilding is looking kind of ridiculous to me.

Everybody keeps bringing up all of these potential backs but if Willis was still here they would all still be backups. We need a legitimate starter and please stop bringing up the friggin Colts unless we are trading for Peyton Manning.

Today, right now, the Bills are a weaker team. PERIOD. Until I see a legitmate resolution to not currently having a starting RB on our roster I'll reserve judgement on how good the trade was. A 2nd rounder would've helped now, not later.

Captain gameboy
03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Maybe that second rounder helps get us back into the first. I would really like to win in 2007. A decade of rebuilding is looking kind of ridiculous to me.

Everybody keeps bringing up all of these potential backs but if Willis was still here they would all still be backups. We need a legitimate starter and please stop bringing up the friggin Colts unless we are trading for Peyton Manning.

Today, right now, the Bills are a weaker team. PERIOD. Until I see a legitmate resolution to not currently having a starting RB on our roster I'll reserve judgement on how good the trade was. A 2nd rounder would've helped now, not later.

Willis or not, we are not going deep into the playoffs this year, and we'd be dealing with this at the end of the year with the season wasted on a goof on his way out with no way to guarentee any repayment.

This is a problem solved sooner rather than later.

Let's look at it again after the draft.

feelthepain
03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Technically speaking... Considering it's Ravens picks... (2) 3rds = ~250 points while (1) 2nd = ~280.

Techincally the 93 pick (3rd) is worth 128, the 61st pick (2nd) is worth 292. It's hard to know what next years 3rd will be worth till the final standings, so you can really calibrate that into the equation. But you can do best/worst case, next years pick value is between 265 and 116. So to equal or better this years 2nd the Ravens will have to finish 20th or worse next year....unless there's a clause in the deal that states the Bills will recieve the better of the Ravens 2nd round pick if they have multiple picks, however I doubt that is the case, but possible.

Yasgur's Farm
03-08-2007, 06:04 PM
So Techincally, since you only have one 3 this year, it's 150 instead of 280. The Bills did not get a fair price for Willis.You be the judge... http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

Talk0fNewYork
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM
So Techincally, since you only have one 3 this year, it's 150 instead of 280. The Bills did not get a fair price for Willis.Your an idiot!

feelthepain
03-08-2007, 06:14 PM
You be the judge... http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

It says the same the Ravens 93 pick is worth 128.

feelthepain
03-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Your an idiot!

It's "you're" not "your", and since you can't spell, read or comprehend, I'd say that makes you the idiot!!

Yasgur's Farm
03-08-2007, 06:18 PM
It says the same the Ravens 93 pick is worth 128.or 256 for 2007/2008 + 4 for the 7th rounder = 260.

feelthepain
03-08-2007, 06:26 PM
or 256 for 2007/2008 + 4 for the 7th rounder = 260.

Yes I agree, still you can't spend what you don't have, so this year all you have is a 3rd. If you were to make the previous deal which was believed to be a 2nd and 7th....since we're being "technical". BTW, I know the 7th "technically" has value, but it's 3 picks from "Mr.Irrelevant". So really what's it worth??

J TES
03-08-2007, 06:35 PM
What does two thirds have to do with this draft? You got one this year and one next. And future picks are worth less to teams in the NFL. A second this year has more value than 2 thirds. Not my opinion, look at the chart that teams go by. And again, what does your opinion with this years draft being deep, ahve to do with the Bills getting a third this year and a third next? You make no sense.

ShadowHawk7
03-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I would tend to agree with you although it's unfortunate that the 3rd we got this year is at the bottom of the round.

jmb1099
03-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Teams are built exactly the way marv is going about it. He's starting to stockpile picks for the future, he's addressed our sad oline, in the last draft he addressed our aging and arrogant defense. Three picks for a guy who wouldn't even study the playbook? In case you all forget, mr awesome didn't even break the 1000 yard barrier last year and we still got three picks for him. Sorry any way you slice it Marv's the man.

HHURRICANE
03-08-2007, 08:04 PM
I would tend to agree with you although it's unfortunate that the 3rd we got this year is at the bottom of the round.

BINGO.