PDA

View Full Version : Wow, this writer actually gets it!

Michael82
03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
The Ravens acquired running back Willis McGahee from the Buffalo Bills today in a move that is supposed to upgrade their running game, but it's nothing to get really excited about -- not when it cost the team three draft picks. To put it bluntly, within the past two days the Ravens have given up on an old malcontent of a running back with a bad knee for a young malcontent of a running back with a bad knee.

McGahee is a couple of years younger than former starter Jamal Lewis, and he might put a little more pizazz in the rushing offense, but the trade is somewhat puzzling.

Soon after the 2006 season ended, top Ravens officials said they no longer were interested in mortgaging the present for the future, but they gave up third-round draft picks in 2007 and 2008 plus a seventh-round pick this April in exchange for McGahee.

As of today, the Ravens don't have a third- or fourth-round pick in April's draft because they gave up the latter in the trade for quarterback Steve McNair last offseason.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.preston308,0,1271830.column

camelcowboy
03-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Pete Prisco was ripping Baltimore as well.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10047765

Carlton Bailey
03-08-2007, 10:00 PM
So true. I'll bet Raven fans view this guy as their Jerry Sullivan.

feelthepain
03-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Can't please everyone.

Devin
03-08-2007, 11:22 PM
While I dont think Willis is gonna be a 2000 yard back ever I could see him churning out a few 1200-1400 yarders.

njsue
03-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Ozzie Newsome you need your head examined! :roflmao:

GhostofVanPelt
03-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Teams spend money/trades on RB's because they don't want to spend a draft pick on a RB(answer to Pete Prisco's question).

For example..

Say the Jets were going to draft a RB at pick #37...

The Top 2 backs would be long long gone(Lynch and Peterson).

They would have to choose from "2nd class" runners who are not sure starters in this leauge.

So instead they get Jones(good stop gap player), and another player instead of a RB that may or may not be better than what they have.

Same thing goes for the Ravens.

They probably would have drafted Kenny Irons at #28.. Now they get to use that pick on something else.

Night Train
03-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Looks like the whole U. thingy has worn on that writer.

ddaryl
03-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Willis' problem is in his character and personality.

If he has great success in Baltimore, he'll implode upon himself with his "I'm the best" attitude. he'll grant interviews and say moroninc things, and he'll think he is too good to have to workout with the team in the offseason.

Wills won't change until he hits rock bottom, and by then he'll have burnt another bridge IMO.

gr8slayer
03-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Great read.

SmokeUpJohnny
03-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Just so you know, Mike Preston is reviled and mocked in Baltimore for his consistent and baseless bashing of the Ravens. If we got Willis for free, and he signed for $1 he would have a problem with it.
He is famous for his "Who's Ed Reed? he will be a bust" article after we drafted him. I am sure every town has one like him, unfortunately.

Michael82
03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Just so you know, Mike Preston is reviled and mocked in Baltimore for his consistent and baseless bashing of the Ravens. If we got Willis for free, and he signed for $1 he would have a problem with it.
He is famous for his "Who's Ed Reed? he will be a bust" article after we drafted him. I am sure every town has one like him, unfortunately.
Sounds like Jerry Sullivan. :ill:

mchurchfie
03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Unforutnately he is right on this time. You will see as time goes on. Willis is still prospering from what he did when he had two good knees. He's an average runner with a ***** attitude. Hopefully he won't forget what down it is when you are in the middle of an important game and are going for it on 4th down.