PDA

View Full Version : Flip The Coin

patmoran2006
03-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Its either Patrick Willis or Marshawn Lynch now.

* No RB on the FA market is worth #1 RB money, including Brown, Dillon or Droughons (should he become available)

* There is no really solid starting LB on the FA market, other than Cato June, who will probably demand too much $ from Buffalo.

So do you go with someone like Willis, who is a tackling machine and can blow up the run? Or do you go with Lynch, who could be a game changing RB that's clearly better than the next level of RB's?

Both positions are pretty deep in the draft, but these guys are by far the creme of the crop (not even counting Peterson at RB).

Unless Okoye happens to slip to 12, you can pretty much be assured we're going RB and LB early-- so who does it look like its going to be?

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Im torn two players that would be perfect for Buffalo's needs. I wouldn't be upset with either pick but Lynch's possible character issues make me lean towards willis.

casdhf
03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I think MLB is a much tougher position to fill than HB is. Go with Willis, we'll get a descent back later.

patmoran2006
03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Im still not totally decided yet.. But for right now, I think Willis looks like the better pick.

I think the next tier of RB's (Pittman, Hunt, Irons, Bush) as a whole is better than the next tier of LB's after Willis.

I think anyway. Both positions are extremely important.

Ed
03-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Okoye for sure if he's there. I think it would be a lot easier to find talent at RB and LB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds then DL. But if Okoye is gone, yeah, I guess I would literally have to flip a coin between Lynch and Willis.

If we are keeping Spikes, I'd be more inclined to go with Lynch, but with all the losses on defense, Willis seems like the smarter pick.

I guess I still don't know enough about the rest of the prospects at RB and LB and where they project to go during the rest of day 1.

OpIv37
03-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I think we're putting way too much stock in Willis still being on the board at 12. But if he's there, he has to be the pick. We can get an RB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

User Manuel
03-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Pat,

Do you think we could trade down and still get Willis?

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Im still not totally decided yet.. But for right now, I think Willis looks like the better pick.

I think the next tier of RB's (Pittman, Hunt, Irons, Bush) as a whole is better than the next tier of LB's after Willis.

I think anyway. Both positions are extremely important.

I agree the best value would be willis then one of the RB you mentioned. I like Pittman alot, Bush has some upside as well it all depends on that injury. Now if Peterson by some act of god falls, ill change my tune.

Ed
03-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Im torn two players that would be perfect for Buffalo's needs. I wouldn't be upset with either pick but Lynch's possible character issues make me lean towards willis.
Yeah, I didn't think about character. What's Lynch's deal? He beat up his girlfriend or something? If that's the case, I would rather go with Willis and look at RB in round 2.

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Pat,

Do you think we could trade down and still get Willis?

No Carolina is hoping we don't chose him with morgan's mellon problems.

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I didn't think about character. What's Lynch's deal? He beat up his girlfriend or something? If that's the case, I would rather go with Willis and look at RB in round 2. He had some accusations a month or two ago from a girl that claimed he took liberties. Even though he is in the clear i could see Marv passing on him. Other people have said that Lynch has some of the same characteristic of Wills McShakespeare.

patmoran2006
03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
If you try and trade down and still get Willis you'd be flirting with danger..

the Rams and Carolina would probably both love to get their hands on them.

The upside of trading down is you could probably still get Lynch, and pick up another day one pick. I think GB at 16 would likely be the first team to draft Lynch, and if they passed on him he'd probably fall all the way to 20 (Giants)

I really dont see the Bills moving down.. If anything, I'd expect them to try and move up 1-2 spots for Okoye or Branch should one be there, or if they took Willis or Lynch at 12 to try and trade back up into the late first round like last year, and land the next best RB (or LB)

The good thing about crowell is that if Willis is gone they dont HAVE to take a MLB if the better LB on the board at our pick is a OLB. Crowell could play either, though i'd prefer him to stay on the outside.

Ed
03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
I think we're putting way too much stock in Willis still being on the board at 12. But if he's there, he has to be the pick. We can get an RB in the 2nd or 3rd round.
I don't know, have you seen him projected as going any higher? I don't think I have. There are a lot of good D-lineman climbing the board and they always seem to go before LB's. Plus, I think all the teams in front of us have more pressing needs then LB. I can't really think of another team in front of us that would take him.

Philagape
03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
We can get away with a lesser RB more easily than a lesser LB.

I'd accept Lynch only under the following circumstances:
1. We guarantee we can draft Siler (or Pos)
or
2. Spikes is guaranteed to return to a form that can make an impact.

EDS
03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Haven't Marv and Dick pretty much come out and said that Crowell will be the middle linebacker next year? If so, I don't think they go LB in round one - later on definitely for competition and depth, but not round one. And if Crowell is in the middle they will look more for outside backers.

I also think history has shown us that productive running backs can be found after round one. Pittman, Henry, Bush, etc. all could be feature backs or at least a big part of a two back committee.

My leading candidates for the Bills top pick are Branch, Okoye, Willis and Carriker.

Ed
03-09-2007, 11:18 AM
We can get away with a lesser RB more easily than a lesser LB.

I'd accept Lynch only under the following circumstances:
1. We guarantee we can draft Siler (or Pos)
or
2. Spikes is guaranteed to return to a form that can make an impact.
Well that's a problem. I don't think it's possible to guarantee either of those things.

OpIv37
03-09-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't know, have you seen him projected as going any higher? I don't think I have. There are a lot of good D-lineman climbing the board and they always seem to go before LB's. Plus, I think all the teams in front of us have more pressing needs then LB. I can't really think of another team in front of us that would take him.

it seems unlikely but the draft is an inexact science. Every year, someone does something unpredictable (read: stupid, and it's usually the Jets). Who saw the Texans passing on Reggie Bush last year? Plus, there's always the possibility that someone could trade down and a team that needs an LB could jump ahead of us.

We obviously need help at LB- my concern is that we wait until the draft to get that help then both Willis and Siler are gone.

Philagape
03-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Well that's a problem. I don't think it's possible to guarantee either of those things.

Exactly, which is why I don't want to take Lynch

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Having the 12th spot is great, but moving down i could very well see the bills losing a shot at Lynch or Wills. St. Louis or Carolina would grab Wills, and Green bay would probally take Lynch. The bills should stay put.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I think MLB is a much tougher position to fill than HB is. Go with Willis, we'll get a descent back later.
Great point!

madness
03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Just to clear up a couple things.

1. If we draft Willis, he'll most likely be playing WLB not MLB. So you're looking at Willis-Crowell-Spikes as of right now. Marv & Dick have spoken very highly of Ellison and expect him to come in to camp a little heavier and compete for WLB. This may factor into the decision of drafting Willis or not, but we still need depth at LB either way.

2. Lynch does not have character issues as stated and is not as dumb as McGahee as I've seen mentioned on this board before. His EX-girlfriend claimed he hit her but the case was thrown out by the DA for lack of evidence and an inconsistent testimony given by the ex. Lynch is very much respected by his peers and coaches and is known for having an excellent work ethic and above avg. football smarts. The guy has all the tools to be an excellent back in the NFL. The big knock on him is that he's too aggressive to the point that it might shorten his career. This type of style could benefit the Bills if they want to use the RB by committee approach.

With the depth of LB and RB's in this year's draft, the Bills will definitely have the flexibility to help this team as they see fit.

Here's a tidbit of how the Giants feel about the LB's in this draft.

Giants | Giants targeting linebackers in draft
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 02:27:20 -0800
Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reporting for the Sporting News, reports at the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/183">NFL Combine, the New York Giants (http://www.kffl.com/team/26/nfl) fell in love with the overall group of linebackers and came away convinced that there are four or five worthy of a first-round selection. They need two outside linebackers and are almost certain to use the 20th overall pick at that position. A few that might be considered are Penn State LB Paul Posluszny (http://www.kffl.com/player/13415/nfl), Florida State LB Lawrence Timmons (http://www.kffl.com/player/16058/nfl), and Oklahoma LB Rufus Alexander (http://www.kffl.com/player/13458/nfl). Whomever they draft will have an opportunity to walk right into the NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) and start.

kgun12
03-09-2007, 11:24 AM

I agree with this. Willis in a heartbeat!

Ed
03-09-2007, 11:27 AM
You know what's funny. We're probably gonna spend the next couple months talking about Okoye, Willis and Lynch to death, and we're gonna end up not taking any of them.

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 11:45 AM
You know what's funny. We're probably gonna spend the next couple months talking about Okoye, Willis and Lynch to death, and we're gonna end up not taking any of them.

We all knew Whitner and McCargo were going to be the picks :oops:

capitolneal
03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
I just see them taking a db with this pick I know they say they are hi on youbouty but u can never get enough good dbs

Saratoga Slim
03-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Haven't Marv and Dick pretty much come out and said that Crowell will be the middle linebacker next year? If so, I don't think they go LB in round one - later on definitely for competition and depth, but not round one. And if Crowell is in the middle they will look more for outside backers.

I also think history has shown us that productive running backs can be found after round one. Pittman, Henry, Bush, etc. all could be feature backs or at least a big part of a two back committee.

My leading candidates for the Bills top pick are Branch, Okoye, Willis and Carriker.

I'd be OK with Crowell at MLB if we spend a 2nd-3rd round pick on someone to give Spikes/Ellison a real run for their money.

I'm still rooting for Okoye. He's my number 1 guy right now.

My ideal rest of the offseason would be:

1. Sign vet corner to handle #2 CB position until Youboty steps up
2. Sign Anthony Thomas
3. Draft Okoye at #12
4. Draft LB/RB in 2nd-3rd.
5. Draft a WR in the 3rd-5th, perhaps a raw or small school guy with big upside

madness
03-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I just see them taking a db with this pick I know they say they are hi on youbouty but u can never get enough good dbs

I'm starting to feel that way too. As much as I'd love Willis or Lynch, they might just not go in that direction. With Thomas still not resigned and McGee never being more then a #2, we possibly could go after a DB with #12.

It's interesting that Marv addressed the offensive line right away as did the league. He seemed to pay attention to the supply vs. demand and went with it. Could the draft be the same? If LB and RB seem to have the most depth in this draft will Marv go after a CB instead? I wouldn't count it out.

Earthquake Enyart
03-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't think we'll take Lynch or Willis.

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm starting to feel that way too. As much as I'd love Willis or Lynch, they might just not go in that direction. With Thomas still not resigned and McGee never being more then a #2, we possibly could go after a DB with #12.

It's interesting that Marv addressed the offensive line right away as did the league. He seemed to pay attention to the supply vs. demand and went with it. Could the draft be the same? If LB and RB seem to have the most depth in this draft will Marv go after a CB instead? I wouldn't count it out. That would depress me, Im sick of drafting DB's high and then have no shot at resigning them when they are good. This scheme doesn't require a great corner so draft another need we have some many i just don't want another 1st round DB. :idunno:

Saratoga Slim
03-09-2007, 12:17 PM
2. Lynch does not have character issues as stated and is not as dumb as McGahee as I've seen mentioned on this board before. His EX-girlfriend claimed he hit her but the case was thrown out by the DA for lack of evidence and an inconsistent testimony given by the ex. Lynch is very much respected by his peers and coaches and is known for having an excellent work ethic and above avg. football smarts. The guy has all the tools to be an excellent back in the NFL. The big knock on him is that he's too aggressive to the point that it might shorten his career. This type of style could benefit the Bills if they want to use the RB by committee approach.

I've been leading the charge against him on the intelligence issue around here. But I must admit my feelings are based solely on a 4 minute Sirius interview and that CNNSI article. He's young and possibly just nervous or unaccustomed in speaking to the press. I suppose I don't really know much about his work ethic, football smarts, or what kind of team player he'd be.

Marv and Dick aren't going to draft the guy without interviewing him first, if they haven't already. And they're not going to take him if he's truly an idiot or generally a McGahee clone. If that's the direction they take, I won't complain b/c he does look to be pretty talented.

I'm just more enamored of the idea of spending #12 on Okoye or Willis to improve our run D. I think we'll get good production from RB with Thomas and say, antonio pittman, michael bush or one of the other guys likely to be there in the 2nd round.

DraftBoy
03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I think Im leaning towards taking Beason at this point

patmoran2006
03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Beason at 12?????

madness
03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm just more enamored of the idea of spending #12 on Okoye or Willis to improve our run D.

I've read that Marv is enamored with Okoye also. I would have no problem with him doing whatever it took to draft this guy.

don137
03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
I see the Bills trading down and going DB in round one. Then they will pick up an extra day one pick. With those three extra picks they will do some manuevering around and pick up a LB and RB.

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 12:30 PM
I've read that Marv is enamored with Okoye also. I would have no problem with him doing whatever it took to draft this guy.

12 your going to recieve a impact player, but they don't need to move up they have to many needs and need the picks. If they start filling holes in FA then maybe they should try to move up, but right now best bet stay pat, allow a good player to fall to you.

Bert102176
03-09-2007, 02:21 PM
I go Willis with all the good RB's in this draft we can get say Bush in RD 2, plus they always say D wins Championships.

patmoran2006
03-09-2007, 02:23 PM
maybe im in the minority, but I prefer both hunt and pittman to Bush..

alohabillsfan
03-09-2007, 04:15 PM
First off if Okoye is there draft him! If not I think you entertain all trade down offers. Willis would be great at 12 but if someone wants to throw some picks our way take them! Even if you trade down say with the Giants who covet a RB, LB, and OL (even with Droughns trade) or the Giants could move up to grab Levi to help keep Eli upright.

Maybe the Crowell at MLB is smoke maybe not. The Bills could always grab Timmons, Meecham, Siler, of Houston later in round 1 and have the additional pick/s to help!

How would you like to draft and you all fill in the blanks---

20 CB Houston ARK
44 TE Zach Miller Arizona St
52 MLB Siler UF
76 RB Pittman Ohio St
91 OLB Durant Hampton
108 DT M. Thomas UF

I used the NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN top 100 rankings (not sure when the last update was)

acehole
03-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Willis hands down.We could not stop the run more the we could not run the ball. Willis first another linbacker 2nd RB third.

IMHO