PDA

View Full Version : Amobi Okoye's excellent adventure

The Spaz
03-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Not so long ago, Amobi Okoye had the grasp on football that Britney Spears has on adulthood. Clueless. He didn't know a touchdown was worth six points or that you had four downs to gain 10 yards. Okoye was stronger than most of his fellow ninth-graders, but his youthfulness overshadowed his brawn.

"In the weight room, he sometimes would make funny sounds," recalls David O'Connor, Okoye's coach at Lee High School in Huntsville, Ala. "His grunts were not mature yet. He made more of a squeaking sound."

It was the spring of 2000 and Okoye was 12. He had moved with his family from Nigeria just a few months earlier. He had run track in elementary school and had played soccer recreationally, but his only exposure to football was film clips he had seen on TV.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=amobiokoyesexcellentadve&prov=tsn&type=lgns

feelthepain
03-09-2007, 11:41 AM
He would be another excellent choice for the Bills at 12!

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
He would be another excellent choice for the Bills at 12!

I could see miami taking him as well. I have heard nothing but good things about this guy.

Ed
03-09-2007, 11:51 AM
From what I've read, he'd be perfect for the Cover 2 defense we run. He's definitely my first choice right now if he's on the board when we pick. I'd even take him over Alan Branch.

The Spaz
03-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I like Okoye, Willis then Lynch.

feelthepain
03-09-2007, 12:07 PM
From what I've read, he'd be perfect for the Cover 2 defense we run. He's definitely my first choice right now if he's on the board when we pick. I'd even take him over Alan Branch.

I think Branch would fill a bigger need for the Bills. One things for sure the Bills are gonna be able to address at least one position in the first round of this draft with a player that has the potential to be a probowler. You gotta love that if you're a Bill fan. The best part is you won't have to trade up to do so. Could you imagne Landry in a Bills uni?? That's scary thought.

Saratoga Slim
03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I think Branch would fill a bigger need for the Bills. One things for sure the Bills are gonna be able to address at least one position in the first round of this draft with a player that has the potential to be a probowler. You gotta love that if you're a Bill fan. The best part is you won't have to trade up to do so. Could you imagne Landry in a Bills uni?? That's scary thought.

Wow, I just thanked one of your posts.

You're right, Landry looks like a helluva safety. I think we're pretty set there and doubt we'll take him, but he would in fact look good in a Bills uni.

I'd take Okoye over Branch. Branch's questionable production at Michigan given his abilities scares me a little. Okoye's upside is mouthwatering.

patmoran2006
03-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I'd take Okoye over Branch too.
I'd also take Landry over ANY of them, but I know Marv isnt going to draft a safety already having Simpson.

Landry is going to OWN someone's secondary for years to come. I"d expect him to have an impact like Polamalu did for Pittsburgh, or like sanders does for Indy.

madness
03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm a Michigan fan but I'd prefer Okoye over Branch any day.

EDS
03-09-2007, 12:56 PM
You just know Marv is going to love this young man's character.

TigerJ
03-09-2007, 01:13 PM
I think the odds are about 50/50 he'll still be there at #12. If he is, I think the Bills will pick him.

patmoran2006
03-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I think the odds are about 50/50 he'll still be there at #12. If he is, I think the Bills will pick him.

I think its less than 50%.. closer to about 25%

But you are right.. There is a 100% chance Marv will pick him if he is there.. you talk about a guy MADE for Marv? this is him right there, and since our DT's are weak as hell, its a SENSIBLE pick ..

Tatonka
03-09-2007, 05:25 PM
I have seen several of his games and some highlights.. watching him play.. there is one player he reminds me of so much.

Tommie Harris.

Tatonka
03-09-2007, 05:30 PM
its funny.. because if we were to pick him.. i would immediately go from feeling our DTs are a weak spot, to feeling like they were a hell of a group.

Tripplett - I thought he played well last year pretty consistently. he had a few dominating games.

McCargo - i am still ver high on him. I was completely happy when they drafted him and still dont mind the pick. The thing that keeps ringing in my head is that both of his linemates said that Mccargo was the best of the three of them and they were all 1st round picks. He didnt show much in the first 5 games of his rookie season, but honestly, show me one rookie DT that has? that is a hard position to grasp as a rookie.

Okoye - reminds me of tommie harris. strong, disruptive and clearly as smart as any player in the draft. does anyone know his wonderlic score??

Williams - is there any way he doesnt improve with his blue collar mentality? he was clearly a great 5th round pick and just like mccargo, will get better with time. the experience he gained last year will be huge for him.

pretty funny how one guy though, in okoye, could make me see the whole line differently.