PDA

View Full Version : Bills Have Options With Eight Draft Picks

The Spaz
03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
The Buffalo Bills admit that as it stands right now their running back position is a bit unsettled following the trade of Willis McGahee.

"There are always some unanswered questions in football as you go into a season and some unanswered positions," said Bills GM Marv Levy. "(Running back) is one of them now, but we're not panicking about it. We think we can take steps that will help our team be better."

Buffalo figures to take at least one of those steps to address their running back position in the draft. With eight picks at their disposal, including four in the top 100 selections, the Bills have the power to maneuver themselves into position to snatch a player off the draft board that they might covet.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4660

Saratoga Slim
03-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm honestly not that worried about RB. Its obviously going to get addressed, and I'm pretty confident in the front office's ability to find a good solution.

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Moving up
Making a bold move up the draft board is not uncommon to the Bills. They've done it two of the last three years, first to land quarterback J.P. Losman in 2004 and last year to grab John McCargo. The Bills have a few holes to fill in their lineup on defense so surrendering picks is probably less likely this season, but if the right prospect slips Buffalo can take action.
Option 1: If one of the players Buffalo has ranked in the top five on their draft board is still available at pick five or six, the Bills have the picks to make a bold move. Using their top two picks (#12, #43) they have the value (1,670 points) to make a legitimate offer for the 5th (1,700 points) or 6th pick (1,600 points) in the draft.
Option 2: Much like last year, Buffalo again has the power to move back into the bottom of the first round by offering up their second (#43) and initial third-round pick (#74) which total 690 points for the 26th (700) or 27th (680) pick in the draft.
Option 3: Buffalo also has the ability to move into the bottom of the second round (pick 55) by offering up both of their third round selections (#74, #92).
Other options: Though compensatory picks will alter the order of the selections Buffalo possesses in rounds four through seven, the Bills will likely have the ability to move into the top half of the third round by offering the third round pick they received from the Ravens (#92) and their fourth-round pick.
Offering their fourth and sixth round picks should also be able to land them in the top 10 selections in round four.
And at this point it appears that they would even be capable of offering their two seventh-round selections to climb into the bottom of round six.
Moving down
With more than a couple of positions to fortify there's a good chance Buffalo will stand pat with their eight picks, but if there's nothing they covet on the board during a particular round when they're on the clock, the Bills may choose to stockpile more picks and move down the draft board.
Option 1: If every prospect Buffalo has a remote interest in at pick 12 is off the board, perhaps they would prefer to slide back a few spots in round one. The Bills could move back four places to pick 16 and find a team with the picks to offer in return that represent equal value in Green Bay. The Packers would have to give Buffalo their pick at 16 in addition to their third-round pick (#78) to pull it off.
Option 2: If the Bills want to move down in the second round because nothing appeals to them they could slide back seven picks from 43 to where Tennessee has a pick at 50. If the Titans were willing they could give Buffalo their pick at 50 and their fourth-round pick (#111).
Option 3: In round three Buffalo has the ability to move back four spots from their initial third round selection (#74) down to pick 78 where again Green Bay is a possible trade partner. The Packers would have to give the Bills their sixth-round pick (#178) to make it an equal value deal.
Other options: Again the compensatory picks will complicate this, but for now Buffalo could trade down from their second third-round selection (#92) into the fourth round and pick up a seventh-round pick. They could move down 10 spots from their current fourth round selection (#107) and add a sixth-round pick with a willing trade partner if the selections lined up. Beyond that the compensation would be pretty minor.

I always found this power system interesting. It wouldn't shock me if they trade back into the first round again this year.

Don't Panic
03-09-2007, 10:34 PM
I'll have a Moving Down, Option 1 with a side of Moving Up, Option 3. Forgive me... I'm a sucker for hypotheticals like these. Its like a Choose Your Own Adventure book! (anyone remember those?) This would give us the #16, #43, #55 and #78 for day one. Imagine the possibilities...