PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown looks like he will sign with us

BILLSROCK1212
03-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I saw somewhere on this board or some other board that he was deciding between us and Detroit and now that Detroit has plenty of pretty good RBs (Jones, Bell, Calhoun, Duckett, and i think maybe Bryson)......this pretty much leaves 2 options, start talking to the Titans again or sign with us........i think he will sign with his by Sunday night.

Don't Panic
03-09-2007, 10:38 PM
If the kid could just stay healthy, he'd be an adequate fill-in. Hopefully its no more than a two year deal.

BILLSROCK1212
03-09-2007, 10:45 PM
If the kid could just stay healthy, he'd be an adequate fill-in. Hopefully its no more than a two year deal.he could break them though and win us some games....if we draft a good enough RB we could survive about 4 games without him and if we signed him hopefully he'd miss les but deffinetly not anymore

Don't Panic
03-09-2007, 10:48 PM
he could break them though and win us some games....if we draft a good enough RB we could survive about 4 games without him and if we signed him hopefully he'd miss les but deffinetly not anymore

At best, he's only going to be an average back. But even with that being the case, we're not in a position to be thinking about a franchise back unless we want to roll the dice on Lynch, and there's no guarantee that even he will be a stud. He obviously couldn't be the only guy brought in (Brian Leonard), but it could be a worthy gamble.

YardRat
03-09-2007, 10:50 PM
The pickings are getting pretty slim. Now that Rhodes and Duckett are out of the picture, it's down to Brown, Turner, or a first or second rounder.

Don't Panic
03-09-2007, 10:53 PM
The pickings are getting pretty slim. Now that Rhodes and Duckett are out of the picture, it's down to Brown, Turner, or a first or second rounder.

I'd still love to see Turner, I'm just pretty sure that OBD won't pony up (or shouldn't pony up) what it'll take to get him here. That leaves us pondering Chris Brown.

Elminster
03-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Chris Brown is about as good as McGahee, except he's more of a slasher than a "power" guy. He'll be a good, solid signing to work in tandem with a draft pick!

Bert102176
03-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Turner will be the Rob Johnson at a rb position

Don't Panic
03-09-2007, 11:03 PM

That's a bold claim. 6 yards a carry is a little more impressive than what Johnson did before we gave up the Fred Taylor pick for him.

camelcowboy
03-09-2007, 11:12 PM

The guys is a beast, and young i'd buy his jersey the first chance i could get. I think the bills are looking at a trade more then signing any of these guys. Lets face it, they are being awfully patient. Part of me thinks they have a deal already worked out with another team. Maybe draft day, or maybe lynch is their man, Maybe trading up Peterson? I believe something is set at the moment and we are going to have to wait till draft day to find out.

Mahdi
03-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah,,,, i think he will be similar to Lamont Jordan,,,, great change of pace RB but wont cut it as an every down player.

Bmax
03-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I just have this feeling the bills have their eyes on a guy already that will be available in rd 2 ...Keep your eye on Pittman from Ohio st or Jackson fron Nebraska-rd 4 guy....Leonard from rutgers is a dark horse in rd 2....

Bmax

JJamezz
03-09-2007, 11:33 PM

That exact thought has crossed my mind every time I see Turner's name mentioned.

I'm not being a smart ass - this is a genuine question - I don't follow college ball very closely, and I'm wondering what it was about Turner that made him a late 5th round pick? What has the guy done in the NFL to now warrant even the consideration of a 1st or 2nd round pick as a trade?

He comes in and spells the best back and best player in the league, and runs behind one of the best lines in the NFL - sure, he has some speed, but man, it just seems like a REALLY risky proposition - maybe not Rob Johnson-eque, but still VERY risky.

JJamezz
03-09-2007, 11:35 PM
I have no problem at all with Chris Brown and a 1st or 2nd round RB in our backfield next year.

Michael82
03-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Come on Brown...you know you wanna sign here. :pray:

Michael82
03-09-2007, 11:36 PM
I have no problem at all with Chris Brown and a 1st or 2nd round RB in our backfield next year.
I agree. :up:

ZacGriffi~82
03-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Chris Brown/Brian Leonard = Very happy Zac.

jamze132
03-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Don't we have some guy on the practice squad that was a stud in NFLE? Jackson if I remember correctly? Why not give this guy a shot?

kernowboy
03-10-2007, 02:00 AM
I am starting to like the idea of Brian Leonard more and more. A 4.52 dash, enough size at 226lbs, also a decent receiver and an above average blocker. If we could pick him up in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd then it would be a decent selection.

And if we get through the 2007 season, the addition Day1 pick in 2008 could be extremely useful in allowing us to move up for a stud in next years draft, and then we could consider moving Leonard back to FB, leaving us with a dynamic duo in the backfield. A Slaton/Leonard backfield to start the 2008 season sounds the real deal.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-10-2007, 02:19 AM
I am starting to like the idea of Brian Leonard more and more. A 4.52 dash, enough size at 226lbs, also a decent receiver and an above average blocker. If we could pick him up in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd then it would be a decent selection.

And if we get through the 2007 season, the addition Day1 pick in 2008 could be extremely useful in allowing us to move up for a stud in next years draft, and then we could consider moving Leonard back to FB, leaving us with a dynamic duo in the backfield. A Slaton/Leonard backfield to start the 2008 season sounds the real deal.

My thought precisely.

Leonard would be ideal because he can block and catch well--so he can play on third down, even if the Bills have a rookie starting. And, if the Bills do wait until next off-season to draft their quick, speedy RB (Slaton, Hart, Rice, Davis, Jones), they will want/need to have a bigger RB to run the ball in short yardage, which Leonard can do. If the Bills can't get Leonard, I wouldn't be upset with Irons or even Hunt, who are bigger backs who lack top end speed, since the speed will come from the RB taken in 2008 to carry the bulk of the load in the rushing game. But, Leonard (who I really wasn't that keen on the Bills taking previously) would be the ideal guy if they wanted to go this route.

Michael82
03-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Don't we have some guy on the practice squad that was a stud in NFLE? Jackson if I remember correctly? Why not give this guy a shot?
:gag: Ken Simonton ring a bell? :ill:

Jan Reimers
03-10-2007, 05:42 AM
I think Brown is about the best we're going to do at this point. He's a decent back when healthy. We may as well put the A-Train re-signing money toward Brown, who is certainly younger and faster.

With Brown and a first day pick at RB, we'll be in good shape.

Historian
03-10-2007, 05:53 AM
"If you want to avoid the rotten apples, don't go to the barrell...pick one off the tree!"-Sean Connery, The Untouchables.

Marv's going to draft someone.

Hopefully, the next Thurman.

John Doe
03-10-2007, 06:49 AM
I think that the Bills will draft 2 backs this year.

HHURRICANE
03-10-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm excited. Let's sign a guy who couldn't beat out our throw away. Is that really moving forward? If I were a reporter I would have a field day with this:

Draft McGahee to replace a guy that was completely reliable, hard working, and productive. Trade him to Tennessee where he beats out there high pick starter. Than we trade the guy that we drafted to replace Henry and now we are stuck signing the guy that lost his job to guy we should have never gotten rid of in the first place.

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds really bad?

Philagape
03-10-2007, 08:42 AM
I'd rather keep Thomas than sign Brown.

Ultra Chimp 1
03-10-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry. But it won't be a running back by committee if we sign Chris Brown, it'll be running back by backups.

Nighthawk
03-10-2007, 10:41 AM
If Brown signs with us, I'm betting that a lot of you will be surprised how good he actually is. He's as good as McGahee, except he's had some issues with injuries...but so has McGahee. I, for one, hope the Bills sign him...it will make me feel a little more comfortable going into next season.

justasportsfan
03-10-2007, 10:44 AM
what's with all the negativity about A-Train and Brown. Are you forgetting we still have Shaud? :sadwalk:

Tatonka
03-10-2007, 10:45 AM

i am gettting tired of agreeing with you all the time.:bandwagon

Ultra Chimp 1
03-10-2007, 10:47 AM
If Brown signs with us, I'm betting that a lot of you will be surprised how good he actually is. He's as good as McGahee, except he's had some issues with injuries...but so has McGahee. I, for one, hope the Bills sign him...it will make me feel a little more comfortable going into next season.

LOL at anyone who thinks Brown is a good player.

Tatonka
03-10-2007, 10:49 AM

again, i couldnt agree more..

brown looked every bit as good as mcgahee, rushing for over 1000 yards in 11 games..

for whatever reason, he has had bad luck with the injury bug..

people say he runs too upright, and he gets injured because of it.. but i cant understand how a turf toe injury is because he runs upright.. call me crazy.

the guy has speed and is explosive.. after he had his 1000 yard season, he was primed to be a starting rb and a big time player in this league, but he fell short due to injuries that would keep him off the field for 2-3 games at a time. tennessee grabbed henry and white and brown fell into obscurity.

i would love for brown to be a bill.. brown or dillon.

Tatonka
03-10-2007, 10:49 AM
LOL at anyone who thinks Brown is a good player.

firetrucking toolbox.

ublinkwescore
03-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm excited. Let's sign a guy who couldn't beat out our throw away. Is that really moving forward? If I were a reporter I would have a field day with this:

Draft McGahee to replace a guy that was completely reliable, hard working, and productive. Trade him to Tennessee where he beats out there high pick starter. Than we trade the guy that we drafted to replace Henry and now we are stuck signing the guy that lost his job to guy we should have never gotten rid of in the first place.

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds really bad?

Actually, what I heard was that Chris Brown couldn't stay healthy - otherwise, he would have been the undisputed starter in Tennesee - and coincidentally, Travis Henry got his act together at about the same time.

HHURRICANE
03-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Can we stop the Turner talk. The Chargers aren't letting him go for a second. His compensation is a first and third for a reason. They have already gone on record as saying it's not negotiable.

ublinkwescore
03-10-2007, 10:57 AM

We need to sign someone - I'd preferr if it were Dillon so he could groom whoever we draft (someone stated earlier it worked out great for Rudi Johnson and Maroney) - now it's our turn.

HHURRICANE
03-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Actually, what I heard was that Chris Brown couldn't stay healthy - otherwise, he would have been the undisputed starter in Tennesee - and coincidentally, Travis Henry got his act together at about the same time.

With that logic Bo Jackson should be in the HOF. Last I looked what you do on the field is what counts. If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts it would be Christmas all year long.

Ultra Chimp 1
03-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Can we stop the Turner talk. The Chargers aren't letting him go for a second. His compensation is a first and third for a reason. They have already gone on record as saying it's not negotiable.

So give them them the first and third. It's a still a fair price to pay.

ublinkwescore
03-10-2007, 11:01 AM
With that logic Bo Jackson should be in the HOF. Last I looked what you do on the field is what counts. If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts it would be Christmas all year long.

I never said I'd bank on the guy staying healthy - I've been an advocate for a Dillon signing for a while now - but like I said a few posts ago, we do need to sign someone - plain and simple.

ublinkwescore
03-10-2007, 11:02 AM
So give them them the first and third. It's a still a fair price to pay.

I'm glad as hell your name isn't Marv Levy.

madness
03-10-2007, 11:02 AM
I'd rather keep Thomas than sign Brown.
How about both? Jauron said on Sirius, they intend to sign another vet, resign Thomas and draft one. RB by committee.

Ultra Chimp 1
03-10-2007, 11:05 AM

Tell me why you think it's not a fair price?

Illmatic15
03-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Just forget about Brown and get Michael Turner. CB is bound to get injured just like Mcghaee..

/thread.

Ultra Chimp 1
03-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Just forget about Brown and get Michael Turner. CB is bound to get injured just like Mcghaee..

Yup.

eyedog
03-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Ah yes, Michael Turner. The new and latest "name" that everyone has now heard of but few really know.
I'd offer them a 3rd and that's it. After they decline that, move on and draft your own runner and probably get just as much production.
I swear you would think M.T. was the next Walter Payton the way some gush about this guy.

ublinkwescore
03-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Tell me why you think it's not a fair price?

because there have to be better deals out there, and I don't want to give up picks which for all we know can turn out to be enough to put us over the playoff hump.

Ultra Chimp 1
03-10-2007, 11:24 AM
because there have to be better deals out there, and I don't want to give up picks which for all we know can turn out to be enough to put us over the playoff hump.

Put it this way, if Turner were in the draft this year, he would be the number one RB prospect.

For example, if by some miracle Adrian Peterson fell to us in the draft, wouldn't you take him in a heartbeat?

But the reality is and unlike Peterson; Turner has proved that he can run in the NFL.

Look at his stats - they're pretty freakin impressive.

And unlike any RB prospect in the draft, we at the very least, have seen what Turner can do against NFL talent.

Giving up a first for Turner is the definition of value.

eyedog
03-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Turner hasn't carried the load for anyone as of yet. Nobody knows for sure what he will do as a teams #1. I sure as hell wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for him.

Ultra Chimp 1
03-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Turner hasn't carried the load for anyone as of yet. Nobody knows for sure what he will do as a teams #1. I sure as hell wouldn't give up a 1st rounder for him.
I don't really understand your point. In fact, it's real shortsighted. Since technically, no player in the draft has carried the load for any NFL team either.

It's like saying Adrian Peterson isn't worth a first round pick since he hasn't played one down in the NFL.

The point is Turner at least has film we can watch of him playing in the NFL. Not to mention his impressive stats.

Can you say that about any collegiate player entering the draft?

Nope.

eyedog
03-10-2007, 12:39 PM
So your ready to drop a #1 on S.Diego for a guy who's been a career backup ? I'd rather use a #1 on a younger faster Peterson, but that's just me.

eyedog
03-10-2007, 12:43 PM
M.T. carried the load a couple of years ago in the MAC conf.

HHURRICANE
03-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Well we agree on that.

Bert102176
03-10-2007, 12:53 PM
the only reason he would sign with us is because all of the other teams needing a RB have signed or traded for one, so no other team needs a RB leaving him not much of a choice.

kernowboy
03-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Michael Turner could turn into a poor mans Lamont Jordan, a backup spelling a great RB and have inflated stats as a result. At least Jordan did have a reasonable run in the team with the Jets at one point.

Bert102176
03-10-2007, 12:58 PM
what's with all this love for M.T. he is a career back up guy nothing more

Philagape
03-10-2007, 01:00 PM
What's funny is that anyone here thinks they know enough about Turner to judge his potential as a starter either way.

Frikkin message board/talk radio culture ... :insane:

Ultra Chimp 1
03-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Michael Turner could turn into a poor mans Lamont Jordan, a backup spelling a great RB and have inflated stats as a result. At least Jordan did have a reasonable run in the team with the Jets at one point.

Or he could turn into a Priest Holmes or Larry Johnson.

Ultra Chimp 1
03-10-2007, 01:09 PM
what's with all this love for M.T. he is a career back up guy nothing more

Do I really have to list all the starting running backs in NFL history who started out as backups?

Or would that still not shut you up?

eyedog
03-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Unlike yourself Philagape a few have watch him play outside of your ESPN highlights. Go back to crying and making excuses for the Sabres.

Philagape
03-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Unlike yourself Philagape a few have watch him play outside of your ESPN highlights. Go back to crying and making excuses for the Sabres.

Watch him do what? 80 carries all year? With fresh legs in late mop-up duty? That's enough to judge him as a starter?

And what excuses have I made for the Sabres? You're just confirming my previous post :insane:

Philagape
03-10-2007, 01:32 PM
btw I like Turner and think he deserves a shot as a starter somewhere, but I wouldn't give up a 1st and a 3rd for him.

Don't Panic
03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Brown is a stop-gap with a chance to have a decent year, nothing more. If we sign him, its to a short term deal and it comes along with a drafted RB. Jackson was mentioned by Levy in the video interview I saw as one of the guys that would get a fair shake in traing camp... I wish we would have given Gates one more year. He could offer a s good of a chance as a lot of the guys being tossed around here lately.

ShadowHawk7
03-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Brown has the same skill set and size as McGahee. The key difference is Brown actually has a 2nd gear of speed. If we signed him, we'd basically trade off a bit of power for a little more cutback ability and a extra turn in speed. Oh yeah, we also get two 3rd round picks and a 7th.
Brown + rookie such as Leonard, Pittman, or Irons + Atrain/Williams + much improved OLine - Willis McGahee = a winning combination IMO.

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Brown has the same skill set and size as McGahee. The key difference is Brown actually has a 2nd gear of speed. If we signed him, we'd basically trade off a bit of power for a little more cutback ability and a extra turn in speed. Oh yeah, we also get two 3rd round picks and a 7th.
Brown + rookie such as Leonard, Pittman, or Irons + Atrain/Williams + much improved OLine - Willis McGahee = a winning combination IMO.

If they wanted Brown they would have signed him by now.

Philagape
03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Or maybe we're making it known that we'll pay only backup money for a RB and they want starter money

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Or maybe we're making it known that we'll pay only backup money for a RB and they want starter money Maybe they realize that this guy isn't worth the additional medical cost.

Tatonka
03-11-2007, 12:34 AM
i really hope he is a bill soon.