X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Bills are within budget

The Buffalo Bills have not spent more than they were planning to spend thus far in free agency, but they’re getting close to their spending limit.

The Bills currently are committed to spending about $103 million in real dollars in 2007, according to figures compiled by The Buffalo News. That’s money the team will pay players in base salaries, signing bonuses and other roster bonuses this year.

The Bills’ salary cap for 2007 is $112 million. The team has said it will not spend over the salary cap limit in real cash, even though it could do so under the NFL’s salary cap accounting rules.

The $103 million does not count money the Bills will pay their draft choices, plus about $2 million in extra space they will need during the season in case of injuries. Nor does it count the money they will need to add a couple of veteran role players, such as a freeagent running back. The rookies will cost $5 million or more, depending on how the Bills structure the contracts. So that brings the Bills very close to $112 million in cash payments.

Conclusion: The financial picture is even further evidence that a trade of linebacker Takeo Spikes is likely. Spikes is due to earn $4.6 million from the Bills this year, and that’s space they probably want to use for several less expensive players.

• Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills are within budget

Damn, so we spend all that money on fixing the offensive line and then could end up losing our 2 star linebackers and our #1 cornerback, plus our #1 running back. And they don't seem to have much money to fill all that. WTF!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
      Damn, so we spend all that money on fixing the offensive line and then could end up losing our 2 star linebackers and our #1 cornerback, plus our #1 running back. And they don't seem to have much money to fill all that. WTF!
      I agree, Mikey. Although Spikes is expensive and not what he once was, his departure will leave us real short at linebacker, even assuming Ellison develops quickly. And, unless we sign Brown or another FA RB, we're totally decimated at RB.

I know Marv has a plan - he's certainly getting rid of players who are making more money than their on field performance warrants - but he's certainly creating a lot of holes. Filling most of them through the draft is probably the way to go, but the draft is always a risky proposition.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

Maybe they will wait until after the draft to unload Spikes. Players are usually cheaper the longer the free agency period goes on. Plus, if you spend money on a player to fill a need before the draft and a great player falls to you at that position in the draft you might of watsred you money. Since the Bills need to be very cost conscience I think a trade after the draft and waiting to fill the rest of the holes until after the draft would be best for a team counting pennies unfortunately. The bad side is you may not be able to fill a hole adequately.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

Speaking of cheaper players later in the FA period... Cato June's still out there.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

I thought maybe Wilson changed his minds and thought he owed it to his fans to put a winner out there. Especially after the good start with the OL.

But what the hell good is having a better OL going to accomplish if the defense is even WORSE than it was last year?

YOu lose your top DB, your top LB, and your going to trade Spikes too? and you dont sign a single person on the defense via FA to strengthen the unit?

I'm sorry, but if this team is done signing players of any significance and relies 100% on the draft to fill all these holes, you can forget about contending for the playoffs in 2007-- that's just the way its going to be... That defense isnt even close to good enough yet. They need a couple of solid vets plus a couple more good draft picks.

I wanted Dockery and Walker; but not at the expense of having a bigger swiss cheese defense than last year. I thought we were making good moves, and they were; but now we're going to make up for it by dumping players and making the team weaker than it was last year everywhere else

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

I don't think he's going anywhere unless we trade him to Chicago for Lance Briggs, and that would only improve our LB situation.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                I thought maybe Wilson changed his minds and thought he owed it to his fans to put a winner out there. Especially after the good start with the OL.

But what the hell good is having a better OL going to accomplish if the defense is even WORSE than it was last year?

YOu lose your top DB, your top LB, and your going to trade Spikes too? and you dont sign a single person on the defense via FA to strengthen the unit?

I'm sorry, but if this team is done signing players of any significance and relies 100% on the draft to fill all these holes, you can forget about contending for the playoffs in 2007-- that's just the way its going to be... That defense isnt even close to good enough yet. They need a couple of solid vets plus a couple more good draft picks.

I wanted Dockery and Walker; but not at the expense of having a bigger swiss cheese defense than last year. I thought we were making good moves, and they were; but now we're going to make up for it by dumping players and making the team weaker than it was last year everywhere else

Marv said he'd fix the OL and he did. He also said he'd fix the Dl and he will. He already made you look like a crybaby when you b!tched about the OL too soon . Some people never learn.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Hold up, we did this before...over-reacted...with the cash to cap comments. This is speculation again. We dont know the actual dollar figures, and we dont know the actual rules that the FO is operating by. It could be true, but it also could be crap.

I trust in Marv. If we wanted a player and he would help us next year, we would get him. I believe that.

You want proof that we arent done? Just listen to the presser for the OL signings. Jauron said we werent done and that we will probably sign a couple more. Those were his words, Marv made a similar comment as well.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

#1- I didnt ***** about the OL because everybody knew we'd sign someone, just didnt think it would be Dockery. I gave credit for that.. But if signing him means we have to dump off key players in trades and neglect other spots, then no guard was worth the money.

2- Marv will fix the DL how? Through the draft? Umm ok, just like he's going to fix RB, 2 LB's and CB through the draft too right? Cool, cause because he better be the next Bill Polian.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

I'm pretty sure this is what I've been saying. It's not quite as bad but I'll show you where:

Losing Clements=Picking up Dockery. So that move is okay and I might even argue that Dockery will have a lot more impact at his position than Clements.

Losing Spikes= ????. I think losing him will leave a hole because at 4.6 million we are not going to bring in another 4.6 million dollar guy to replace him. I don't see his upgrade in FA so we are looking at a late 3rd rounder (Ravens pick) or later to replace him.

Fletcher=1st or 2nd round LB. Fletcher is going to get replaced in the draft. I actually think we were going to be in great shape here until we announced that Spikes was gone. I don't know how smart Crowell is but he better have some leadership skills. Becase that is one young group.

McGahee=big loss. Before you go over why not, I agree that he was a total loser on and off the field. However the guy did average over 1000 yards a season behind a ****ty OL. The OL is better but RB is a crap shoot. We could draft a guy in the first only to see a guy in the 4th be "rookie of the year". It's also very rare that a backup, no matter how much potential, ends up being a successful starter.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

As far as I'm concerned, we lost Clements.

The stars of Fletcher, Spikes and McGahee were as bright as a 5 watt bulb in 2006. They were good at one time but living in the past does nothing to improve the team. Lineup changes are a yearly given in the cap age of the NFL.

We will add talent at LB, CB and RB by training camp. The only significant drop I can predict may be at Clements spot but that was something we saw coming.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

And people wonder why other people are saying the Bills had the worst off-season so far.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

There is no way we are going to be competitive if we only spend 9 million more in FA. Unlike teams like the Colts or SD, we're far from a Super bowl contender with what we had.

We have a better OL than last year; but our defense is clearly weaker, we did nothing to get Lee Evans any help; Shaud Williams is our only Rb on the roster; we don't have a FB; our DL is the same bunk DL it was last year; Nate is gone and as of right now the next best CB is Youboty or Jabrari Greer; Fletcher is gone and Spikes could be next;

Lovely

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                              2- Marv will fix the DL how? Through the draft? Umm ok, just like he's going to fix RB, 2 LB's and CB through the draft too right? Cool, cause because he better be the next Bill Polian.
                              I don't know how or when but he isn't gonna do it the way you Donahoe fans want it done.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X