PDA

View Full Version : Don't panic on RB...wait until draft day

CSFAN
03-10-2007, 07:33 AM
There is a huge temptation to think, OMG - Willis is gone! We need to get someone NOW.

We can easily get someone in the 2nd or 3rd round as good as Brown or anyone else still left in FA. Beyond that, there is an excellent chance that Peterson will slip in the 1st round & that we may have a shot to grab him with our pick.

Good article on the topic on nfl.com - because of all of the RB activity in free agency, most of the good prospects in the draft will likely drop further than expected:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10050457

I'd hate to see us commit to someone who is sub-par & could hold us back down the line, when we can do much better w/ a little patience...

rocketman
03-10-2007, 07:50 AM
CSFan,

I cannot agree with you more. I have spent the entire week in panic over this situation. What made me calm down is the fact that the Donahoe teams really weren't very competitive. At least we are taking steps that hopefully lead to obtaining some stronger caliber players. It is no secret that the best teams are built through the draft.

In addition, it is still early in the season and alot can happen between now and the first game. What I have observed is that everytime Marv is criticized for his decisions, they seem to yield positive results. I have given up trying to second guess him until I see the end result.

I really do like the direction the team is headed, even though we have lost some notable players. We are on the verge of great things and I believe it so much that I became a first time season ticket holder this year.

Go Bills!

Rocketman

ddaryl
03-10-2007, 07:55 AM
I agree too

Using a 1st rd pick on a RB sounds great, but we have more pressing needs in the 1st rd like a DT LB or CB.

However a 2nd rd RB/ 1st day RB will probably work out justy fine with a vet FA RB added to the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us make some draft day moves to get us back into the 1st rd to pick up a RB, but at #12 were taking defense !!!!

RedEyE
03-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the boards both of you. I'm not at all concerned about the running game. In fact, as long as A-Train re-signs, I'm actually quite alright going into the season with him and Shaud Williams. I'd like us to sign/draft a feature back, but nothing in FA excites me, and both Bush and Peterson are going to be a shot in the dark to snag. So, if all else fails I'm fine with Anthony Thomas and Shaud Williams....as crazy as that may sound.

don137
03-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Other than two years ago RB's are one of those positions that players tend to fall since it is like QB and if you have a feature guy you don't need another one. Since other positions have multiple spots like DB, OL, DL, LB etc they tend to not have players slide since there is usually more chances a need is there.

X-Era
03-10-2007, 08:03 AM
There is a huge temptation to think, OMG - Willis is gone! We need to get someone NOW.

We can easily get someone in the 2nd or 3rd round as good as Brown or anyone else still left in FA. Beyond that, there is an excellent chance that Peterson will slip in the 1st round & that we may have a shot to grab him with our pick.

Good article on the topic on nfl.com - because of all of the RB activity in free agency, most of the good prospects in the draft will likely drop further than expected:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10050457

I'd hate to see us commit to someone who is sub-par & could hold us back down the line, when we can do much better w/ a little patience...

I think this reads good, your post is quality, but its still unlikely.

I think your looking at teams like Atlanta, Minnesota, and then dont rule our teams below us moving up if there is a fall, teams like Pitt, GB, Tenn.

Now, If he does fall out of the 3 pick, I can see him drop to 7. If hes someone we want, we could move into the 6 pick and most likely get him.

Personally, Im not that sold on him. The speed is there, the production is there. Im a bit concerned about durability, and I dont know that hes as natural fo a runner as Lynch is.

However, we could do MUCH worse than to make a move up to 6 for him.

patmoran2006
03-10-2007, 08:18 AM
1- Will you guys quit being silly and even thinking about Peterson.. Its NOT happening..

2- OHio State's Pro day is today, Im very interested in seeing how Pittman looks, as he could be a second round target.

HHURRICANE
03-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Going to be hard to take Peterson/Lynch and Willis with one pick.

MarvLevy
03-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I agree too

Using a 1st rd pick on a RB sounds great, but we have more pressing needs in the 1st rd like a DT LB or CB.

However a 2nd rd RB/ 1st day RB will probably work out justy fine with a vet FA RB added to the roster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us make some draft day moves to get us back into the 1st rd to pick up a RB, but at #12 were taking defense !!!!

how many times can we draft a DT? We took 2 last year. I love the L'ville kid tho.

MarvLevy
03-10-2007, 08:32 AM
1- Will you guys quit being silly and even thinking about Peterson.. Its NOT happening..

2- OHio State's Pro day is today, Im very interested in seeing how Pittman looks, as he could be a second round target.

I agree. so lets move up!
dont want Pittman tho.

what about Bush from L'ville?

X-Era
03-10-2007, 08:41 AM

Just so were clear. I want a franchise type RB. I want a guy that gets talked about in the top 10. Ive never been a fan of the RB by committee method. Doesnt that just mean we spend 3 downs, with three different RB's and still get 2 yards per and punt? Thanks, but Id rather go with a the same guy who has the TALENT to get 4 yards per and keep our chains moving.

You dont win a Nascar race with 3 jalopys. You win with a very fast car.

Thats just my opinion.

To me, that means, we best get one guy whos an UPGRADE to Willis. Pittman? these guys could go the Terrel Davis route, but the reason they are getting drafted lower, is because the chance is more remote.

No, I say draft a franchise RB in round one, trade back into round one if you need to, or take one at the top of round 2. If they dont, Id say the chances that they truly upgraded from Willis are pretty slim and we may be talking about needing a RB again next year.

North_Coast
03-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I think that with the talent they've assembled on the OL, the Bills can have a more productive running game than they've had in the last few years without having a "franchise type" RB. A-Train, Shaud, and a rookie RB drafted on the first day works for me.

IMO, I think that the Bills are moving towards the NE/Indy model where they have a stud QB, some other stars sprinkled around the offense and defense, and lots of "system" guys who work well together. Keep in mind that NE won a SB with Antowain Smith as their leading rusher and Indy won a SB with Derrick Rhodes and Joseph Addai sharing carries.

patmoran2006
03-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Just so were clear. I want a franchise type RB. I want a guy that gets talked about in the top 10. Ive never been a fan of the RB by committee method. Doesnt that just mean we spend 3 downs, with three different RB's and still get 2 yards per and punt? Thanks, but Id rather go with a the same guy who has the TALENT to get 4 yards per and keep our chains moving.

You dont win a Nascar race with 3 jalopys. You win with a very fast car.

Thats just my opinion.

To me, that means, we best get one guy whos an UPGRADE to Willis. Pittman? these guys could go the Terrel Davis route, but the reason they are getting drafted lower, is because the chance is more remote.

No, I say draft a franchise RB in round one, trade back into round one if you need to, or take one at the top of round 2. If they dont, Id say the chances that they truly upgraded from Willis are pretty slim and we may be talking about needing a RB again next year.
Just so we're clear as well, I want a franchise RB too. But if you're referring to Peterson, we'd almost have to give up our draft to move up to 3 to get him.

X-Era
03-10-2007, 09:32 AM
I think that with the talent they've assembled on the OL, the Bills can have a more productive running game than they've had in the last few years without having a "franchise type" RB. A-Train, Shaud, and a rookie RB drafted on the first day works for me.

IMO, I think that the Bills are moving towards the NE/Indy model where they have a stud QB, some other stars sprinkled around the offense and defense, and lots of "system" guys who work well together. Keep in mind that NE won a SB with Antowain Smith as their leading rusher and Indy won a SB with Derrick Rhodes and Joseph Addai sharing carries.

Hold up, Peyton, Harrison, Freeney, Glenn. Thats far from a "sprinkling" of stars. Thats having 4 gusy who are top 10 in their spots. We have a marginal 1, Schobel.

Pats? Seymour, Brady, Samuel. Furthermore, they had a bonafide stud RB in Dillon, and then drafted a 1st round RB in Maroney. Thats a FAR cry from starting to otherwise backups. A-train and Peterson/Lynch/Bush works for me too, but thats 3 guys that may be better than Willis day one and a helluva backup. Again, not as good as what the Pats were working, but about the same as what Indy was working. I just think Indy doesnt count because they have the best pass game, maybe in the history of the NFL.

The total sum has us much lesser than both the Pats, and Indy. The only way we get to their level is with a stud or combo of studs at RB.

patmoran2006
03-10-2007, 09:35 AM
how many times can we draft a DT? We took 2 last year. I love the L'ville kid tho.
Until we get it right.. No DT on this team is a difference maker.

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Until we get it right.. No DT on this team is a difference maker.

I vote they try getting many of their other needs right in the draft. Im sick of Drafting Dt, and DBs

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the boards both of you. I'm not at all concerned about the running game. In fact, as long as A-Train re-signs, I'm actually quite alright going into the season with him and Shaud Williams. I'd like us to sign/draft a feature back, but nothing in FA excites me, and both Bush and Peterson are going to be a shot in the dark to snag. So, if all else fails I'm fine with Anthony Thomas and Shaud Williams....as crazy as that may sound.

Welcome to the board guys, and for the record if we go into the season with just shaud and A-train i will probally vomit. They have to be planing something better then that, because if this was their plain then they should have never traded rock head.