PDA

View Full Version : Good morning america: Simon may face criminal charges

Mitchy moo
03-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Wow!

Nassau prosecutors opened a preliminary probe Friday into whether Islander Chris Simon committed a crime when he struck a Rangers player in the face with his hockey stick, a spokesman said.

Prosecutors began reviewing game footage Friday morning of Simon swinging his stick with both hands as Ranger Ryan Hollweg skated toward him, hitting Hollweg on the chin and sending him to the ice at Nassau Coliseum Thursday night.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lihock0310,0,6044426.story?coll=ny-main-bigpix

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Every county where one of these incidents happen in looks into filing charges. Canada wanted to for the Bertuzzi hit. Most likely nothing will happen.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Every county where one of these incidents happen in looks into filing charges. Canada wanted to for the Bertuzzi hit. Most likely nothing will happen.

Actually Bertuzzi was charged with assault, he plead guilty accepting a plea bargain, and received probation.

Ebenezer
03-10-2007, 11:51 AM
somebody should set the example.

Mitchy moo
03-10-2007, 12:01 PM
A year in jail for him might keep the sticks down.

Ebenezer
03-10-2007, 12:05 PM
A year in jail for him might keep the sticks down.
a life time ban with accompanied by a back-bone enforced statement would do it. "Banned for life and the next person that does it will also be banned for life. We will no longer tolerate blows to the head. If you don't like it quit or sue the league. For the protection of all of our players and the enjoyment of all of our fans, we will not tolerate this crap any more."

YardRat
03-10-2007, 12:08 PM
That's outright assault in any other situation.

The NHL has no excuse if they don't clamp down hard on these illegal hits/cheap shots. Part of the game, my ass.

Football has more contact and is a more violent sport than hockey, and the NFL has a much better grasp on controlling/policing incidents like this. There's no reason professional hockey can't do the same.

GThirst
03-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Why not just make all head hits agains the rules? They are against the rules in football, and it works great. They are unnecessary and no1 wants to see it.

Yea yea yea, Umberger hit was "cool". It was clean. But at the same time, its just flat out disrespectful and intent to injur. I don't like seeing that crap.

Head hits should be out of the game. At least try the rule out and see how it goes.

CuseJetsFan83
03-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Why not just make all head hits agains the rules? They are against the rules in football, and it works great. They are unnecessary and no1 wants to see it.

Yea yea yea, Umberger hit was "cool". It was clean. But at the same time, its just flat out disrespectful and intent to injur. I don't like seeing that crap.

Head hits should be out of the game. At least try the rule out and see how it goes.

disrespectful??
umberger had the puck and got laid out plain and simple...... as far as intent to injur, thats the fine line that who really is the one to decide? whats excessive to you may be within the bounds to me

as far as a hit on someone without the puck, thats just assanine and deserves the harshest penalty possible

YardRat
03-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Something needs to be done.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-11-2007, 06:19 AM

I'm not sure how someone can compare the Umberger hit to someone swinging his stick and hitting someone above the shoulders.

chernobylwraiths
03-11-2007, 07:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyGj9g2Y9nE

IMO this is worse than the Simon hit. He got a 1 year suspension. Oh, and he now plays for Montreal.

YardRat
03-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Draw the line and enforce it.

Men can lose their careers for a little regular weekend weed, but they're allowed to commit assault. Ridiculous.