Buffalo needs to make replacing Price a high priority...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • itsandthings
    • Sep 2002

Buffalo needs to make replacing Price a high priority...

... because big plays in the offense come in multiple WR formations.

Here are Travis Henry's rushing totals in various sets last year:

0 or 1 WR:

72 att-for-221 yds (3.07 avg), 6 TD

2 WR sets:

149 att-for-598 yds (4.01 avg), 4 TD

3 WR sets:

92 att-for-530 yds (5.76 avg), 2 TD

4 WR sets:

8 att-for-72 yds (9.00 avg), 1 TD

Now for Bledsoe:

0 or 1 WR:

14-for-23, 105 yds (4.57 yds/att), 4 TD, 1 Int

2 WR sets:

81-for-141, 812 yds (5.76 yds/att), 1 TD, 3 Int

3 WR sets:

198-for-313, 2443 yds (7.81 yds/att), 11 TD, 7 Int

4 WR sets:

81-for-131, 988 yds (7.54 yds/att), 8 TD, 4 Int

Bottom Line:

- Travis Henry averaged 3.71 yds/rush with 2 or less WR on the field and 6.02 yds/rush when there were extra WR in the game.

- Drew Bledsoe had 57.9% completions, averaged 5.59 yds/att and had a QB Rating of 73.7 with 2 or less WR on the field, and had 62.8% completions, averaged 7.73 yds/att and had a QB Rating of 90.6 when extra WR were in the game.

Thus, even if Reed continues to progress as a player, depth at WR is a key to this offense. Most of the big plays come with 3 WR on the field.
  • Wys Guy
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

It's a priority I agree, but not a "high" one per se.

We have starters everywhere although the one position that I'm a little hesitant on is DE. I'm just not sold on McKenzie and Jones both coming back off of injuries, neither having had recent great seasons.

But, assuming that we're not gonna make a move for a DE, and assuming we sign Adams and Spikes, which may not be great assumptions, I'd say our priority order for filling positions is as follows:

K: Gotta have one.

OL Depth: We really need someone other than Price. Conaty isn't signed so who knows if he'll be back. One OL for depth would be good. It won't matter who our WRs are if we have two or more injuries to the OL under these circumstances.

WR: Need a 3rd/4th to match w/ Johnson. Thompson would have been great for cheap but apparently we weren't interested. Once no one goes after Gadsen, maybe he'll sign here for cheap. But there are and will be some WRs available to fill 3/4 roles.

S: Wouldn't hurt.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Cntrygal
      Visually stunning but camera-shy.
      • Jul 2002

I agree that it's a priority... but not a HIGH priority....
      Originally posted by notacon
      The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
      X