PDA

View Full Version : Report: Simon suspended 22 games

YardRat
03-10-2007, 01:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6554930

Chris Simon, the New York Islanders' tough guy who slashed the Rangers' Ryan Hollweg in the face Thursday night, has suspended by the NHL for the remainder of the regular season and seven playoff games, TSN reported on its web site Saturday.

Since the Islanders have 15 regular season games left, the suspension could be for as long as 22 games.
This is the sixth time Simon has been suspended by the league.

LtFinFan66
03-10-2007, 01:49 PM
weak

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-10-2007, 01:52 PM
That is BS.

YardRat
03-10-2007, 01:58 PM
SIXTH time. He should be gone for good, especially after the most recent incident.

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 02:35 PM
What a joke

Ebenezer
03-10-2007, 03:05 PM
the NHL keeps showing the garbage garage league that it is...who ever came up with 22 should be fired on the spot.

BuffFan615
03-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Bettman Should just resign on the spot, there is no way he should of signed of on this. He should of been suspended the rest of the year and half of next year. Did Holwig have to end up like Moore for Simon to draw a proper suspension. The NHL has such a good product but with crap like this going on people will never take the league seriously. I hope to God that they crack down on the crap before the playoffs begin because if they dont the league could fall back into that boring pre-lockout product. Bettman should be ashamed of himself.

Ebenezer
03-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Bettman Should just resign on the spot, there is no way he should of signed of on this. He should of been suspended the rest of the year and half of next year. Did Holwig have to end up like Moore for Simon to draw a proper suspension. The NHL has such a good product but with crap like this going on people will never take the league seriously. I hope to God that they crack down on the crap before the playoffs begin because if they dont the league could fall back into that boring pre-lockout product. Bettman should be ashamed of himself.
the problem is that there is an "ole boy" mentality that this type of play is good and fair and ok for the game. their is an underlying goonery issue that is not going to go away until guys like colin campbell are gone.

BuffFan615
03-10-2007, 04:00 PM
the problem is that there is an "ole boy" mentality that this type of play is good and fair and ok for the game. their is an underlying goonery issue that is not going to go away until guys like colin campbell are gone.

Thats true but the instigator rule is a stupid rule if they arnt extemely tough on guys like Simon, Jansen, and Neil. If they let this keep up get rid of the stupid rule and let the players "Take care of it" on the Ice.

Philagape
03-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Here's an exceprt from Simon's statement (got it off the wire, no link)

"After watching the tape the morning after Thursday's game, I was disgusted. There is absolutely no place in hockey for what I did.
I want to apologize to Ryan Hollweg. I was grateful to learn that Ryan is okay and that he returned to the game. My hope is to reach out to him in the near future.
I want to apologize to my team and Islanders fans everywhere. My actions Thursday night played a major part in our team losing a crucial game. I also want to apologize to the National Hockey League for the damage I have caused this great game of ours.
What you saw Thursday is not the person, player and competitor that I am. I know my teammates and opponents over my 14 years in the NHL understand that.
I do not remember much about Thursday's incident. When I saw the tape on Friday morning, it explained a lot to me when I saw the look on my face after being hit into the boards. I was completely out of it. When I met with the media about 30 minutes later, I still was not feeling well."

YardRat
03-10-2007, 07:19 PM
He's got the hang of this PR deal after geting nailed five times before.

"After watching the tape the morning after insert date of infraction here game, I was disgusted. There is absolutely no place in hockey for what I did.

I want to apologize to insert name of player you assaulted here. I was grateful to learn that insert name of player you assualted here (Hint: use first name only to insinuate a friendly relationship) is okay and that he returned to the game. My hope is to reach out to him in the near future.

I want to apologize to my team and insert name of team that employs you as a grease-man here fans everywhere. My actions insert date felony occurred here night played a major part in our team losing a crucial game. I also want to apologize to the National Hockey League for the damage I have caused this great game of ours.

What you saw insert date of attempted murder here is not the person, player and competitor that I am. I know my teammates and opponents over my 14 years in the NHL understand that.

I do not remember much about insert date of assault here incident. When I saw the tape on insert the date following the attack here morning, it explained a lot to me when I saw the look on my face after being hit into the boards. I was completely out of it. When I met with the media about 30 minutes later, I still was not feeling well."

Philagape
03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
What you saw Thursday is not the person, player and competitor that I am.

Simon was suspended four other times for violent on-ice acts and received a three-game ban in 1997 after directing a racial slur toward player Mike Grier, who is black.

During the playoffs in 2000, Simon sat out Game 2 of a series against Pittsburgh after he cross-checked Penguins defenseman Peter Popovic across the throat in the opener while with Washington.

In April 2001, Simon received a two-game ban for elbowing Anders Eriksson of Florida. He then was given a pair of two-game suspensions in 2004 -- for cross-checking Tampa Bay's Ruslan Fedotenko and then jumping on him and punching him, and for kneeing Dallas defenseman Sergei Zubov.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2794019

camelcowboy
03-11-2007, 12:39 AM
NHL punishes according to the amount of time the victum is hurt. Since the guy from the rangers was ok, and didn't break his neck. The NHL feels that 22 games is enough. Its horse crap.

Michael82
03-11-2007, 09:28 AM
The NHL should be ashamed of themselves! :cynic: