PDA

View Full Version : I need some help on a few guys

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-10-2007, 02:04 PM
OK, my 3rd round pick in my mock draft is coming up and I need some info on a few guys before I put together my list. Sometimes my ego gets in the way:

Jon Abbate, LB, Wake Forest - I love the way the kid plays, is it to early in the 3rd?

Johnathan Wade, CB, Ten

Tarrell Brown, CB, Tex

Bo Smith, CB, Weber State - 2nd day pick, but wondering what the vibe is.

Is it to early with the 2nd pick in the 3rd to take Zak DeOssie?

kernowboy
03-10-2007, 02:32 PM
OK, my 3rd round pick in my mock draft is coming up and I need some info on a few guys before I put together my list. Sometimes my ego gets in the way:

Jon Abbate, LB, Wake Forest - I love the way the kid plays, is it to early in the 3rd?

Johnathan Wade, CB, Ten

Tarrell Brown, CB, Tex

Not sure about most of the guys. Wade is a little small at 5ft10 as is Brown and Smith but the latter to ran a 4.45 ...... a more interesting option might be Travarous Bain at 6ft+ who ran a 4.43 from Hampton

Abbate makes Fletcher-Baker look big being under 5ft10 and is as slow as hell running a 5.04 at the combine. I would rather see Crowell move inside if the MLB went down and instead draft Tim Shaw, 6ft1 -236lbs running a 4.49.

I would take both deOssie and Shaw in the 3rd and Bain in the 4th

SABURZFAN
03-10-2007, 11:21 PM

yes

yes

mysticsoto
03-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Johnathan Wade, CB, Ten

Tarrell Brown, CB, Tex

For CB, like Kerno...I like Bain also.

And no, I don't think it is too early to take DeOssie with the 2nd pick in our 3rd. I think it would be a good pick!

LifetimeBillsFan
03-15-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm with Saburzfan on Abbate and DeOssie--don't know about the DBs.

I loved what I saw of Abbate in college, but I really don't think he has the size/speed combo to be a starter in the NFL. Zack Thomas was not considered fast when he came out of college, but he had size and seemed to be everywhere in the games that I recall seeing him back then. Abbate plays with the same kind of heart, but just seems too slow to me. The Tampa 2 defense requires LBs who are fast--not necessarily big, but they must have speed--that's one quality that Abbate will never have. It is also the reason that I do not believe that HB Blades would be a good fit for the Bills: he hits hard, but was horrid in coverage because he just doesn't have the speed to keep up.

I don't know why a lot of people are so high on DeOssie. Yes, his dad played in the NFL, but he played in the Ivy League! He may be super intelligent, but it is still going to take him time to adjust to the NFL. And, while he was a dominant player at that level (which, with his size, he should have been to have pro aspirations), I'm not sure that he would be anywhere near that at the next level. I'm not sure whether he would be worth a late 3rd round pick and, given the needs that the Bills have, I would be shocked if the Bills were taking a LB with that pick and had not done so earlier. Also, if the Bills are going to take a LB at that point in the draft who is going to need time to develop on the pro level, as DeOssie will, I would rather see them take Rory Johnson out of Mississippi who is raw, but has great speed and would be a good fit in a T2 defense.