PDA

View Full Version : My case for Michael Turner

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 02:29 PM
1)Well he has played in limited action- 31 of the starting running backs in the league would be behind L.T. Maybe some of the traits that we praise L.T. for like his maturity, and his leadership would rub off on this kid. How about receiving a back from a wining program like the chargers?

2)He has never carried a full time load for a NFL team- People actually look at this as a weakness? Turner has less ware and tear on him then most of the running backs comming into this draft. A running back has a short shelve life, the less work they receive the better. Do we know for sure if Peterson, or Lynch can shoulder the load for a NFL team? No, but Peterson has shown he gets hurt alot. Turner has far more expierence then any rookie, and he has less ware then any "veteran" runners. Veteran runners that we a clamouring for that have failed to keep their old jobs.

3)The charger's o-line is better then the bills- I will not argue that point, but i will say the bills have made strides this offseason. What running back runs well behind a crappy offensive line. Ask the Edge, or any denver running back the importance of a offensive line.

4) He doesn't have the speed - Turners a power runner but he has elusiveness to be a number 1 back. He was a kick returner and a damn good one. He can take it to the house and he's shown that in San Diego. He had longer runs and Yard per rush far great then McGahee has ever came close to as a Bill.
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>G</TD><TD>GS</TD><TD>Att</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lg</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>20+</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=left>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>104</TD><TD>5.2</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>4</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>57</TD><TD>335</TD><TD>5.9</TD><TD>83</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>11</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>80</TD><TD>502</TD><TD>6.3</TD><TD>73</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>24</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 id=total_CAREER_back_rushing vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD class=bg4 align=left>TOTAL</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left></TD><TD class=bg4>43</TD><TD class=bg4>1</TD><TD class=bg4>157</TD><TD class=bg4>941</TD><TD class=bg4>6.0</TD><TD class=bg4>83</TD><TD class=bg4>5</TD><TD class=bg4>10</TD><TD class=bg4>39</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=13>http://images.commissioner.com/images/dot_clear.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=13>Receiving</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Year</TD><TD>Team</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>GS</TD><TD>Rec</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lg</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>20+</TD><TD>40+</TD><TD>1st</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=left>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>2.0</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>---</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>47</TD><TD>15.7</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 id=total_CAREER_back_receiving vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD class=bg4 align=left>TOTAL</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left></TD><TD class=bg4>43</TD><TD class=bg4>1</TD><TD class=bg4>7</TD><TD class=bg4>55</TD><TD class=bg4>7.9</TD><TD class=bg4>30</TD><TD class=bg4>0</TD><TD class=bg4>1</TD><TD class=bg4>0</TD><TD class=bg4>2

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Turner i would argue is as good or better then any running back in the draft. He's 24 which is still very young for a 4 year NFL vet. I would love to see him in a bills uni, and for all those argue that he could be like Rob Johnson please move on. I argue that any running back taken in the draft could be like Willis Mcgahee, or Chris Brown. Turner does have risks, but they are no greater then any back you draft, or of any vet who couldn't keep their job and were cut loose by another team(s)

Ickybaluky
03-10-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't think people realize how good the guy is.

Turner carried the load in college. He gained almost 5,000 yards rushing in college at Northern Illinois.

The guy is built like a fullback, and has 4.4 speed. His speed is more straight-line, but if he isn't stopped initially he can take it the length of the field (hence the nickname "the burner"). He has good run skills and instincts, and while he isn't elusive he is a bull of a runner and hard to tackle. The guy will be a great feature back.

The only reason he hasn't established himself yet is because he plays behind the best RB ever. Although talented, he played college ball in the MAC, so people weren't certain how his game would translate and it took him some time to establish himself.

He will be a feature back soon. However, A.J. Smith is adamant they aren't giving him up for less than the 1st and 3rd that it would take to sign him to an offer sheet. They consider him very valuable in case something happens to Tomlinson, and A.J. is a stubborn son-of-a-gun. It will also take a pretty big contract to sign him. The guy came into the NFL as a 5th rounder, so this is his chance to make a score. It will take the kind of deal McGahee received.

Don't Panic
03-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Maybe Smith will have a soft spot for Buffalo (and Marv) and give him up for a 2nd... especially if they find someone they like in that spot as the draft gets closer.

Philagape
03-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I like him, but not for a first and a third.

(Now I'll go look for other threads to post that in)

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 03:30 PM

Im not saying sign him to a rfa offer sheet. Try to work out a way with San Diego. A second this year, a second next year. A conditional pick next year. Maybe we take san diego's pick and turner for our 12th pick like the Thomas Jones trade. Many things are possible, i agree a 1st and 3rd is too much. San Diego may trade him for less.

HHURRICANE
03-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I am making it my quest to kill evry thread related to Turner. The Chargers are not letting him go per their front office. Dream all you want but they want him for a Super Bowl run. Period. There is no negotiating off a 1st and 3rd and even than they still can match. They went on record as saying that they made the tender high to ward off teams because they DEFINATELY WANT TO KEEP HIM!!

Geez, enough already. You might as well try to coax Tiki out of retirment.

HHURRICANE
03-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Im not saying sign him to a rfa offer sheet. Try to work out a way with San Diego. A second this year, a second next year. A conditional pick next year. Maybe we take san diego's pick and turner for our 12th pick like the Thomas Jones trade. Many things are possible, i agree a 1st and 3rd is too much. San Diego may trade him for less.

THEY ARE NOT NEGOTIATING!!!!!!!! Their GM said as much!!!

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 03:46 PM
THEY ARE NOT NEGOTIATING!!!!!!!! Their GM said as much!!!

Yeah all GM's are honest and forthright get your head out of your arse.

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I am making it my quest to kill evry thread related to Turner. The Chargers are not letting him go per their front office. Dream all you want but they want him for a Super Bowl run. Period. There is no negotiating off a 1st and 3rd and even than they still can match. They went on record as saying that they made the tender high to ward off teams because they DEFINATELY WANT TO KEEP HIM!!

They also said they were going to keep schottenhiemer as their coach. Well they changed their mind. You put a high tender on a player to prevent a team from signing him, you tell teams you want to keep him to drive up the price, Don't call it impossible because nothing is, just like you guareented the bills would keep McGahee?

Philagape
03-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I am making it my quest to kill evry thread related to Turner.

Good hunting!

patmoran2006
03-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Camel:

First of all. Excellent post. Very well thought out .

We're not going to land Turner, even if we do want him.. and I think there are two reasons why.

1) SD is in a weird position. They don't have a glaring weakness. After resigning Deilman, they are pretty much stacked everywhere. I really don't think they want to trade Turner. It's kinda like Regier was with the Sabres until injuries left him no choice; didn't want to trade Biron in case MIller went down. The Sabres didnt miss a beat when that happened.

2) Unfortunately (yet expectedly), we're likely done adding impact players via FA. that leaves us with too many gaping holes to fill on draft day. They cant give up high multiple picks for this guy, even if he's worth it.

Now if you could write Mr Wilson a letter and convince him to snag away Indy's Cato June and Nick Harper; that would be a different story and I'd be all for it.

Unless this team signs two absolute starters between now and the draft, they need every pick they can get, and then some.

acehole
03-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Hey HH ever hear of supply and demand? Ever play poker? AJ thought that with all the teams in need a a RB that sombody would bite.....nobody did. On that note no onther team is even rumored to want him. He goes into the negotiations with no other bidders. Try that on ebay and see what stuff you get...it is great (PS watch out for shipping). With just about every team filling there needs at that position..and the draft comming up guess who is losing barging power? With next years draft class rumored to be chock filled with top quality RB's...who is losing bargining power?...who is making a run at a superbowl this year and would love to swap picks in the first round for an impact player? HE is one of the top players available and it would be dumb if marv didnt at least try.

YardRat
03-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Very good post, NE, but I disagree with your opinion that LT is the best running back 'ever'.

He's got a little way to go before being compared to and mentioned with the best of the best.

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Camel:

We're not going to land Turner, even if we do want him.. and I think there are two reasons why.

1) SD is in a weird position. They don't have a glaring weakness. After resigning Deilman, they are pretty much stacked everywhere. I really don't think they want to trade Turner. It's kinda like Regier was with the Sabres until injuries left him no choice; didn't want to trade Biron in case MIller went down. The Sabres didnt miss a beat when that happened.

2) Unfortunately (yet expectedly), we're likely done adding impact players via FA. that leaves us with too many gaping holes to fill on draft day. They cant give up high multiple picks for this guy, even if he's worth it.

Now if you could write Mr Wilson a letter and convince him to snag away Indy's Cato June and Nick Harper; that would be a different story and I'd be all for it.

Unless this team signs two absolute starters between now and the draft, they need every pick they can get, and then some.

Thanks Pat, but I think the chargers would love to get their hands on a top end saftey or Wide receiver. Ginn, Laundry, would make the chargers consider it. Im hoping against hope the bills bring June in for a visit. he has received little interest on the market hopefully his price is going down. The bills have some many holes this year, im resigned to the fact that we can't fill them this year alone. So if the bills see a player they love like Peterson, or Turner, i would not be angry if they made a move.

patmoran2006
03-10-2007, 04:33 PM
The only top flight safety in this draft is Landry and he's not going to be there at 12.. and I agree about WR.. but they'll still get a WR in round one, I think the WR's are going to slip some on draft day.

Listen, I'd LOVE to get Turner; if Marv was planning on taking Lynch in round one, id be very tempted to use that first rounder on Turner, a guy we already know can play in this league.

I just truly think that the plan will be for us to get a RB with our first pick in round three, as I think only 3 RB's will be off the board (4 at the very most) when we're on the clock (Peterson, Lynch, Bush)

Ickybaluky
03-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Very good post, NE, but I disagree with your opinion that LT is the best running back 'ever'.

He's got a little way to go before being compared to and mentioned with the best of the best.

Best I've ever seen. I've seen better pure runners, but never another runner who could do it all like he can. The guy is a great runner. He can run with power or make people miss. He is a big guy, but he has breakaway speed. He catches the ball like a WR. He even blocks and can throw a pass.

Seriously, there have probably been better pure runners, but I don't think I've ever seen a more complete back in my life.

Dozerdog
03-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Go Balls out to sign him next year

BSU Drew
03-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Ditto.

Devin
03-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Turner will be traded before next season, they'd be stupid not to.

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Turner will be traded before next season, they'd be stupid not to. I agree, the Chargers are good, but they still have some needs. I think they will use him to move up. I hope the Bills make the move.

DraftBoy
03-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Id make a move for Turner, as long as we dont completely move ourselves out of a round in this draft. This is an extremely deep draft, and one of the most defining in our modern history. We have to address our concerns in the draft and I would not be surprised to hear Levy had called about Turner, personally I would offer my 3rd this year (keeping the later) and a conditional pick (as high as a 1st low as a 3rd) next year, and a Day 2 pick 08 for Turner. I think this would make AJ have to stop and think about it. He still may not take it, but Turner is a back who could become the next big back in the AFC. He has the potential to take it all the way every play, but at the same time, there is alot of potential in the backs in the draft. So I dont know what we should do to be honest.

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 08:29 PM
2 this year and a conditional 3 next year.

DraftBoy
03-10-2007, 08:42 PM
2 this year and a conditional 3 next year.

Wouldnt be close to enough

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Wouldnt be close to enough not even if the conditional pick could be a first?

DraftBoy
03-10-2007, 10:14 PM
not even if the conditional pick could be a first?

You said conditional 3rd, which means it can be as high as a 3rd. If you mean it could go as high as a 1st then yes it may be enough. But this is all of course just speculation.

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 10:15 PM
You said conditional 3rd, which means it can be as high as a 3rd. If you mean it could go as high as a 1st then yes it may be enough. But this is all of course just speculation.

Anything else to do this time of year?

Philagape
03-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey Marv, no need for negotiations, we're working out a deal right here!

camelcowboy
03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Marv, no need for negotiations, we're working out a deal right here!

Im faxing a proposal to the Bears for Briggs as we post :up:

Oaklandraider
03-11-2007, 12:10 AM
your better off waiting another season to get him. AJ smith loves to rape teams in trades. Look at his track record. In all honesty the chargers have one of the the best O-lines and evrything is set up perfect for him which is why he looks so good but hes not. Your better off grabbing lynch.

Bert102176
03-11-2007, 05:45 AM
well if LT gets put on the cover of Madden 08 that means they will need Turner lol

justasportsfan
03-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Camel:

you forgot that they have a new coach who doesn't want to screw around with the chemistry they already have. AJ Smith is gonna want to give Norv every chance to succeed to make Shotty look bad.

camelcowboy
03-11-2007, 10:11 AM
you forgot that they have a new coach who doesn't want to screw around with the chemistry they already have. AJ Smith is gonna want to give Norv every chance to succeed to make Shotty look bad.

A back up running back is going to really accomplish giving turner every chance? How about a wideout or a saftey, two need the charges have had for a while. That might be a little more helpful.

justasportsfan
03-11-2007, 10:49 AM
A back up running back is going to really accomplish giving turner every chance? How about a wideout or a saftey, two need the charges have had for a while. That might be a little more helpful.
injuries my friend. Better safe than sorry. IF you are gonna snag him away from the chargers, they will want that 1st and third.

HHURRICANE
03-11-2007, 11:25 AM
The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers will place the highest tender possible on restricted free agent RB Michael Turner, paying him over $2 million in 2007. If another team signs him to an offer sheet, the Chargers will have a week to match it or receive a first- and third-round pick as compensation. Several teams are interested in Turner -- the Giants and Jets are two of them -- but with the high tender placed on him, that interest could dwindle. "I'd just feel better to have him in '07," GM A.J. Smith said. "If anything happens to LT -- God almighty! -- that he gets hurt ..."
(Updated 03/01/2007).

acehole
03-11-2007, 01:16 PM
I have four k's you should fold....really.

Umm Why couldnt they just draft a back up and still make out like banditos again?

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers will place the highest tender possible on restricted free agent RB Michael Turner, paying him over $2 million in 2007. If another team signs him to an offer sheet, the Chargers will have a week to match it or receive a first- and third-round pick as compensation. Several teams are interested in Turner -- the Giants and Jets are two of them -- but with the high tender placed on him, that interest could dwindle. "I'd just feel better to have him in '07," GM A.J. Smith said. "If anything happens to LT -- God almighty! -- that he gets hurt ..."
(Updated 03/01/2007).

Bond
03-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I think Turner would be a good fit with the Bills the Chargers have Andrew Pinnock who looked good when Turner was injured, I think they're postering right now that they're not going to trade him, similar to what Miami did with Patrick Surtain, the truth is they wont get anything in return next year if they keep him another year, they mind as well trade him for like a 2nd and a 5th, and take another RB in the 5th to backup Pinnock and possible develop into the next Turner.