I lost all my respect for Scott Wright of nfldraftcountdown.com after reading this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BILLSROCK1212
    !?!?!?!?!?
    • Mar 2006

I lost all my respect for Scott Wright of nfldraftcountdown.com after reading this

March 9th, 2007
    • In recent days the NFL is doing their best to shed the image that they are a league that traditionally doesn't have many big trades and there was yet another major one yesterday.

The latest significant move was the Buffalo Bills sending running back Willis McGahee to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for 3rd and 7th round picks this year and a 3rd rounder in 2008. Even though they had to give McGahee a huge new contract this was an outstanding move for Baltimore and will give them a major upgrade over Jamal Lewis. From the Bills perspective this was by and large just a financial decision because his contract was up in a year and the team, which was said to not be enamored with him, was highly unlikely to give him the mega dollar extentsion that he was seeking. However, this is a 25-year-old running back in his prime who has rushed for 3,365 yards in three seasons so in my opinion the trade was very questionable, especially when you consider that the Denver Broncos got not only the best cornerback in the league in Champ Bailey but also a high 2nd rounder for Clinton Portis not that long ago. In fact, I think the Bills have made a number of questionable moves this offseason and you can add this deal to the list that already includes losing Nate Clements for nothing and overpaying for Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker. Buffalo now has another big hole to fill at running back and while they may be able to address it with Corey Dillon, Marshawn Lynch, or even both it seems to me that it will be at best a lateral move and could cost them valuable resources that they could have used elsewhere. I'll be the first to admit that I questioned Marv Levy on Draft Day last year and came out batting .500, with Donte Whitner proving worthy of his spot in the Top 10 and John McCargo looking like the reach I said he was, but I have a sneaky feeling that this Buffalo Bill team is going to take a step or two backwards in '07. Only time will tell though.

• Scumbag College
    • Oct 2002

Re: I lost all my respect for Scott Wright of nfldraftcountdown.com after reading this

Trading a guy that doesn't want to be here, doesn't block, doesn't learn the plays, in the last year of his contract for three draft picks is a stupid move?
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Re: I lost all my respect for Scott Wright of nfldraftcountdown.com after reading this

Scott Wright can't write for ****. He should hire an editor.

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

If McGahee's in his "prime," the Ravens are in big trouble
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• AndreReed83
          Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
          • Mar 2004

The thing is, if McGahee acted like this for a team like, oh, New England, and the Pats traded him, writers wouldn't cite money as the issue, but would instead cite the truth, which is his behavior.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
          "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Aging QB: Check.

A nothing-special O-line: Check.

Lack of receivers: Check.

Yeah, I'd say McGahee's pretty much screwed. Enjoy 7-9, Baltimore.

Comment

• ZacGriffi~82
              • Jun 2003

Uh last i checked the Ravens had Mark Clayton and Mason.
              www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Comment

• BSU Drew
                • Feb 2007

Re: I lost all my respect for Scott Wright of nfldraftcountdown.com after reading thi

3 draft picks for an average player who we were going to lose anyway.... Sounds like a sweet deal to me..Willis is going to have a hell of a time learning new plays.. We all know he is a member of the short bus club.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                  • Mar 2005

This seems like war and peace compared to the Moron who believes we should play Mcgee at running back.

Comment

• billsburgh
                    • Jul 2003

if he thinks the Bills overpaid for Dockery and Langston, does the same also apply to SF and Clements? It's just a matter of who you overpay for. For roughly the same amount Clements was paid, the Bills added two players who most likely will upgrade two positions of need. Sure, losing Clements leaves a hole in the D, but if Youboty is as good as everyone claimed coming out of OSU, it may not be as bad as everyone thinks.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Re: I lost all my respect for Scott Wright of nfldraftcountdown.com after reading thi

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                      This seems like war and peace compared to the Moron who believes we should play Mcgee at running back.
                      LOL! One of the funniest posts I've read.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by billsburgh
                        if he thinks the Bills overpaid for Dockery and Langston, does the same also apply to SF and Clements? It's just a matter of who you overpay for. For roughly the same amount Clements was paid, the Bills added two players who most likely will upgrade two positions of need. Sure, losing Clements leaves a hole in the D, but if Youboty is as good as everyone claimed coming out of OSU, it may not be as bad as everyone thinks.
                        No. From the same link...

Seriously, are you seeing the contracts some of these guys are getting? I have no problem with the Nate Clements' and Adaius Thomas' of the world getting paid because they are great players but some stiffs are getting major coin. Langston Walker got $25 million? Drew Bennett $30 million? Ovie Mughelli $18 million? Heck, Visanthe "Frickin'" Shiancoe got $18 million! That cap room must really be burning a hole in the pockets of some teams. Best of luck but I have a feeling a lot of teams are going to regret some of these signings in the not too distant future.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I agree with...

Even though they had to give McGahee a huge new contract this was an outstanding move for Baltimore and will give them a major upgrade over Jamal Lewis.
                          the team...was highly unlikely to give him the mega dollar extentsion that he was seeking.
                          I have a sneaky feeling that this Buffalo Bill team is going to take a step or two backwards in '07
                          I disagree with...

From the Bills perspective this was by and large just a financial decision
                          the trade was very questionable
                          John McCargo looking like the reach I said he was
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

What he has failed to appreciate is the extra value of the R3'08 pick ... if we can draft someone like Leonard, we can do enough on the ground to be competitive and then we have increased manoverability in one of the deepest RB drafts in recent times.

Clements has been seriously overpaid, probably Dockery as well but he is a major upgrade, Whitner and McCargo can still be very good players especially as many were clamouring for us to take Buckley last year. The marginal call we have made has been Walker

Thats it

Comment

• feelthepain
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by AndreReed83
                              The thing is, if McGahee acted like this for a team like, oh, New England, and the Pats traded him, writers wouldn't cite money as the issue, but would instead cite the truth, which is his behavior.
                              Hmmm, that's kind of a double edge sword, do you think Willis would have been unhappy in NE?? Do you think he would only be a 990 yard back in NE? Winning fixes a lot of things including attitudes. Besides you guys keep acting like the 990 yards isn't good, consider the line, how many backs could have been much better behind that line??

Comment

Working...
                              X