Levy says Youboty is the "leading candidate".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Levy says Youboty is the "leading candidate".

i heard a replay of an interview marv levy did on sirius tonight.

he clearly indicated that they will draft a LB.

he did clearly indicate that they will draft a RB... i know neither of these things come as a shock.

he re-emphasized that they have TWO main goals.. to run better and to stop the run better and he is confident that they will accomplish those things.

seeing as how they have not made a single move in FA to help that, and have only lost Fletcher (which i dont think they believe made the run defense worse, addition by subtraction).. so i really think they will look to the draft for the DT early.

but the most surprising thing i heard is that he said they feel good about ashton youboty.. marv went as far as saying that he considers youboty "the leading candidate to replace nate".

after listening to the interview, and seeing how marv went right after need positions immediately in last years draft, not BAPs.. i can almost guarentee the draft will definately include the following picks on day one..

LB, DT, RB.

maybe not in that order, but there is no doubt in my mind those three picks will happen early..
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Levy says Yojboty is the "leading candidate".

I'm not sold on OBD thinking they need a DT that early.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first three picks were a corner, a wide-out, and a linebacker.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Marvelous
      • Feb 2004

Re: Levy says Youboty is the "leading candidate".

Good work T. Man i miss Sirius in the car..Almost 2 years now!!!

-Do you guys think Marv likes McCargo enough to be content at NT/DT in the draft?

-Seems silly to write him off after his rookie, injury season..

-LB isn't more important then RB at the moment because we have Keith Ellison and Crowell(MLB BB.COM) & Spikes.. RB-Shaud WIlliams- lol..

IMO IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO TRADE tko UNLESS HE REALLY IS SPENT.(oops caps)...

Is SPikes condition that suspect? i was thinking he would rebound 100% this coming seasojn..Atleast 85%..Achilles never seems to return the player to pre-injury form...Man our LB core is in trouble without Spikes..

--Any word on Crowells recovery from broken leg???
      GO BILLS!!! NE
      Magical Trevor

Comment

• alohabillsfan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
        i heard a replay of an interview marv levy did on sirius tonight.

he clearly indicated that they will draft a LB.

he did clearly indicate that they will draft a RB... i know neither of these things come as a shock.

he re-emphasized that they have TWO main goals.. to run better and to stop the run better and he is confident that they will accomplish those things.

seeing as how they have not made a single move in FA to help that, and have only lost Fletcher (which i dont think they believe made the run defense worse, addition by subtraction).. so i really think they will look to the draft for the DT early.

but the most surprising thing i heard is that he said they feel good about ashton youboty.. marv went as far as saying that he considers youboty "the leading candidate to replace nate".

after listening to the interview, and seeing how marv went right after need positions immediately in last years draft, not BAPs.. i can almost guarentee the draft will definately include the following picks on day one..

LB, DT, RB.

maybe not in that order, but there is no doubt in my mind those three picks will happen early..

Great stuff T , My order

DT (only Okoye) if he is gone then
        LB
        RB
        CB

LB (WILLIS)
        DT
        RB
        CB

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Why draft a starting CB early when we have Youboty, who many "experts" had going late in the first round of last year's draft? And remember that we drafted him as a Junior. I think that, had Youboty stayed in school another year, he would have gone in the first round this year.

Not only that, but, although he hasn't played much in Buffalo, he has had a year to learn the system.

It seems like he should be the natural choice to start at this point. Sure, we could end up trading for a CB to start in place of Youboty, but what would be the point? There is only so much a player can learn from the bench, and I think Youboty has reached that threshold. He's got to go in there and make his mistakes sooner or later...like everybody else.

Comment

• Bert102176
            • Aug 2002

yep Willis rd 1 and Bush in rd 2
            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• SquishDaFish
              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
              • Jun 2005

The best draft would be if any of the following 3 happened.....

1. Okoye
              2. Bush
              or
              1.Lynch
              2.Timmons or LB from Penn st. (prob trading back u into 1st rd for this)
              or
              1. Willis
              2. Bush

Maybe even.... 1st rd take Willis or Okoye,2nd trade up and take Timmons or LB from Penn if we take Okoye and grab a RB in rd 3 like Darius Walker.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Ive been saying for weeks that they intend to start Youboty. As fr our draft Im not as big a proponent of drafting Bush as others are. We still have no idea about his leg and how much speed it may or may not have lost. His stats are very hard to get some from with only 1100 yards in his junior year but still 23 touchdowns. He has good top speed but takes a while to accelerate to it. He is a grinding power back with a bad leg injury, whose only had one good season. He doesnt not have gamebreaking ability that we all clamored for with Willis or Henry. Its a completely different kind of game then we are all used to in our rushing attack. He can catch the ball out of the backfield and he can block. Im not saying he's a bad pick but Im saying Im not sure he's the savior back some posters are making him out to be. Id almost prefer to take a LB or CB in Round 2, and then go RB later on.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

I think Marv addressed the DT position last offseason...

1) They shot the gaps like they were supposed to.
                  2) The failure to stop the run was the LB group's failure to fill the gaps (Spikes out or not 100%, Crowell out, Fletcher not able to be aggressive).

We'll sit on the DT's we have and watch that unit improve (maybe we add a day 2 guy).

We'll spend a day 1 at LB. There's still a good possibility we land June or Briggs as well... We can afford them.

So far I see our day 1 going like this...

WR, RB, LB top 3 in no particular order. Plus maybe CB or BPA with our final day 1 pick.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Dec 2005

Well if Youboty is the leading candidate to start, we still need a veteran guy to be the 3rd corner. If Youboty is ready to come in and play well (decent anyway) from day one, then Willis has to be the call... especially if Spikes is cut loose and we can't get our hands on Briggs. If Crowell and Ellison are our two best linebackers come opening day, we are in big trouble.

Comment

• xXSpIkes5IXx
                      • Mar 2006

I like "The U-Boat," and i think hes really flying under the radar after missing all that time last year. The cover 2 supposedly isnt a defense that relies on lock down corner play, so i feel like he can step in and play. I hope we bring in a veteran to push him though, whether its Kiwi Thomas or someone else, i think Youboty going to be a player. Remember some mocks had him going in the later part of the first round, and i think nfl.com had him rated as high (or higher?) than Donte Whitner.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                        • Mar 2005

They need a DT, Levy may have addressed it last year but they came up short. Im sorry watch the tape stopping the run is something that our DT's can't do. McCargo is the wild card, but wasn't impressive in limited action last year. He has a history of being prone to injury. Now that Youboty is starting lol we are in for a long year.
                        Last edited by camelcowboy; 03-11-2007, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I have maintained since the middle of last season, and will until proven wrong this season, that the run defense will improve more on changing the philosophy of how the T2 is implemented than changing players.

Last year the emphasis was on guarding against the big play...this year the emphasis will shift more to stopping the run. The LB's and safeties will have the responsibility of thinking run first, pass second, not vice-versa.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• raphael120
                            Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                            • Oct 2005

I would really LOVE to see us move our extra picks around and get 3 picks in the top 60 picks, but even if we hold on to our 2 3rd round picks, that is going to be huge. We get 5 first day draft picks, which is awesome.. I just hope we do some damage with all those picks

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by raphael120
                              I would really LOVE to see us move our extra picks around and get 3 picks in the top 60 picks, but even if we hold on to our 2 3rd round picks, that is going to be huge. We get 5 first day draft picks, which is awesome.. I just hope we do some damage with all those picks
                              I have a feeling Marv wanted the extra 3rd rounder so he can move back into the 2nd round or else get another 1st rounder from our 2nd rounder. I could see us drafting Patrick Willis and then trading our 2nd rounder and the 3rd from Baltimore to move back into the first round and grab Marshawn Lynch or Michael Bush.

Comment

Working...
                              X