PDA

View Full Version : Micheal Smith reports Stallworth agrees with Patriots

Ickybaluky
03-11-2007, 07:57 AM
See the Breaking News alert on the main football page:

Update: Here is the story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615).

Looks like they paid a heft price for the guy: $30M/ $12M guaranteed.

There is little question, with their aggressiveness in FA, the Pats are looking to win in the next few years. I guess it makes sense, given that Brady's window is only going to be open for so long. They can't waste his prime years.

Night Train
03-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Let the ranting commence.

DraftBoy
03-11-2007, 08:06 AM
not sure on this, he hasnt been able to stay healthy and with all the WR's they got how are they all going to play?

MDFINFAN
03-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Wow, that's a lot of money at the receiver spot..Man the pats want it bad this year.

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I don't have a link, but it's in the bottm right hand corner of the screen on ESPN news, where they always have their "breaking news".

The Spaz
03-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Let's hear now "omg the patriots are ****ing awesome":rolleyes:

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2007, 09:41 AM
When healthy Stallworth is very explosive. I'll be worried for those 6 games he plays.

YardRat
03-11-2007, 09:46 AM
They're really loading up.

Maybe this finally is the year that things go to hell for that franchise...When you least expect it, expect it :D

Static
03-11-2007, 09:48 AM
They have been pretty successful without spending alot in FA, why the sudden change in philosiphy?

SquishDaFish
03-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I have a link for you....
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=122047

Please read the board before you start a thread. Duplicate threads take up space.

SquishDaFish
03-11-2007, 09:50 AM
I seriously have a feeling Brady is going to get hurt this season. But if healthy Donte will be a good signing. Hes a very good reciever when healthy.

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 09:59 AM
I have a link for you....
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=122047

Please read the board before you start a thread. Duplicate threads take up space.

I looked at the front page and didn't see it anywhere and if there was already a thread why would you post a link here, just simply write merge!

Al13
03-11-2007, 10:06 AM
so much for he is leaning towards signing with the fins, i guess we didn´t put so much money on the table, like the pats , damn i would have loved to have him with chambers and booker

Michael82
03-11-2007, 10:09 AM
They're really loading up.

Maybe this finally is the year that things go to hell for that franchise...When you least expect it, expect it :D
I could see that happen. The Patriots are going away from what has won got them their rings. They are actually spending tons of money on free agents and rebuilding their team thru free agency. This is totally different from the way they did things before where they would lowball their current players and build from the draft.

Michael82
03-11-2007, 10:10 AM
They have been pretty successful without spending alot in FA, why the sudden change in philosiphy?
EXACTLY! I hope that this change in plans comes back to bite them in the ass. I would LMAO! :snicker:

NFLfan
03-11-2007, 11:02 AM
hey just joined here on bills zone, anyways like most of u said when stallworth is healthy he is very good. and with tom brady at QB he will get the most out of stallworth.
in my opinion the pats are the #1 team in the NFL

Ickybaluky
03-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Stallworth has missed 12 games to injury in 5 years. He only missed 4 games to injury in the last 3 seasons. It is clear why the Pats wanted Stallworth. The guy gives them what they sorely lack at WR, a big-play threat.

If you look at the likely other 4 WR (Gaffney, Caldwell, Welker, Jackson) against Stallworth:

Career totals, catches of 20+ yards:

Stallworth: 60
Rest of Pats WR: 66

Last year catches of 20+ yards:

Stallworth: 14
Rest of Pats WR: 26

Career totals, catches of 40+ yards:

Stallworth: 11
Rest of Pats WR: 9

Last year, catches of 40+ yards:

Stallworth: 4
Rest of Pats WR: 3

Those numbers are telling, and it is why the Pats are willing to play a premium for the guy. I'll wait to see what the actual numbers on his contract are, because initial reports are often inflated, but it is clear NE wanted the guy bad (for good reason).

SquishDaFish
03-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I was going to say WELCOME to the ZONE man but you lost me when you praised that team. Sorry. lol

Ickybaluky
03-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Actually, now that the real numbers are out, this is looking like a great signing.

ESPN is reporting (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615) the deal is actually a 1-year tryout-type deal that can lead to big money if the Pats pick up an option, like the Javon Walker deal was for Denver last year.

In 2007, Stallworth gets a $1M SB, a $1.6M roster bonus (wouldn't surprise me if this was a $100K per game roster bonus, a tactic teams frequently use for players with risk), a $300K workout bonus and a salary of $700K.

His 2007 cap number: $2,766,666.

After that ESPN says:

It's after the 2007 season, however, when the really big money kicks in.

For the Patriots to retain Stallworth for the 2008 season, they must pay him an option bonus of $6 million by Feb. 25, 2008. There is a subsequent roster bonus of $2 million due on March 1, a second roster bonus of $1.6 million based on playing time, a base salary of $1 million and a $400,000 workout bonus. That totals an exorbitant $11 million for 2008, or a two-year total of $14.6 million.

To keep Stallworth for 2009, the Patriots would have to pay another option bonus, this one of $2 million, by Feb. 25 of that year. In terms of bonuses and base salary, the 2009 season would be worth $5 million to Stallworth, for a three-year total of $19.6 million.

The final three seasons of the contract all include workout bonuses of $500,000 each and base salaries of $4 million each. The maximum value of the contract, if the Patriots were to keep Stallworth for all six years, is $33.1 million.

That is a great deal for the Pats. They get a player of great need, and he has to "prove it" to make his real money.

HHURRICANE
03-11-2007, 11:21 AM
The Pats are either going to be really good or really disappointing. Let's hope Brady is freakin about being a dad.

DraftBoy
03-11-2007, 11:35 AM
whats their depth chart looking like now?

Stallworth
Gafney
Welker
Caldwell
Jackson

Cant think that Chad Jackson can be liking this offseason, though I do know he struggled out of the gate last year. They are deep at WR, and thats scary when they have Brady at QB.

Ickybaluky
03-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Stallworth
Gafney
Welker
Caldwell
Jackson

Cant think that Chad Jackson can be liking this offseason, though I do know he struggled out of the gate last year. They are deep at WR, and thats scary when they have Brady at QB.

Jackson is recoving from ACL surgery. There are rumors he may be ready sometime during camp, or could start the season on the PUP.

DraftBoy
03-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Jackson is recoving from ACL surgery. There are rumors he may be ready sometime during camp, or could start the season on the PUP.

Guess its a good deal considering Stallworth got a one year shot and there is no need to rush Jackson back now.

patmoran2006
03-11-2007, 11:51 AM
wow..

Devin
03-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Good signing, Stallworth has concerns but when he shows up he can play. Yet another average WR Brady will turn into a pro-bowler.

Great signing imo.

Carlton Bailey
03-11-2007, 12:29 PM
So Miami has missed out on everybody this offseason except Joey Porter, huh? The same Porter who will be washed up a la Jason Gildon very soon.

Tatonka
03-11-2007, 01:15 PM
i am just glad the pats didnt get moss

dolphan117
03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Man this offseason is going just about picture perfect for the Pats. Other than overpaying for Wes that is.

Bert102176
03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I really wish we had NE's front office cause ours sure seems worthless

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 04:05 PM

Who, in your opinion, do you think will be healthier at the start of the season, Daunte or Jackson?

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I really wish we had NE's front office cause ours sure seems worthless

You could be right, before the start of FA, I thought for sure Ol Ralph was the main reason the Bills weren't getting better, but after the 70 Mill spending spree they just went on, I'm not so sure now.

Bling
03-11-2007, 04:22 PM
So Miami has missed out on everybody this offseason except Joey Porter, huh? The same Porter who will be washed up a la Jason Gildon very soon.

What are you talking about? This is a rebuilding year. You don't miss out on things, you dump things. Porter is just a bonus.

Mitchy moo
03-11-2007, 04:35 PM
hey just joined here on bills zone, anyways like most of u said when stallworth is healthy he is very good. and with tom brady at QB he will get the most out of stallworth.
in my opinion the pats are the #1 team in the NFL

Nobody likes new people here, looked what happened to me. Just kidding, welcome aboard.:respect:

chernobylwraiths
03-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Stallworth
Gafney
Welker
Caldwell
Jackson

Deep?! How the hell are they deep?! Stallworth is the best one there and before last year he was a big play threat with suspect hands. Just looks like they got a bunch of decent number 2 receivers.

Evans > Stallworth

Kerr
03-11-2007, 07:27 PM
It's a good thing the bills defense is designed to prevent the big play because stallworth is at his best on big plays. Brady will surely be looking for the big play more often next season.

chernobylwraiths
03-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Now they are even deeper after signing Kelly Washington!