PDA

View Full Version : We Shouldn't Trade Picks For A Vet RB - Much Ado About Nothing

Night Train
03-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Time is on our side.

The Bills will probably draft a RB on Day 1 and another on Day 2. Some vets will be released after teams draft a RB and we can sign them as insurance. I'd just as soon go with the young, fast, talented rookies anyhow.

Becoming concerned that Rhodes, Dillon, Chris Brown and other RB's aren't coming here is not being able to think beyond next week. Then suggesting a trade of a pick for backups or someone past his prime (Priest Holmes) is silly. I'm betting come training camp, we'll have plenty of RB's not named Shaud Williams.

The Bills aren't going to deal out of desperation because they don't need to. Not sure we'll go after a Peterson or Lynch in Round 1 but Pittman of Ohio St, Leonard of Rutgers, Jackson of Nebraska and several other talented RB's can be had from Round 2 on. Our scouts aren't stupid.

The Bills are being patient because the vet pool is full of backups and yesterdays stars.

Don't start dreaming up trade scenerio's worthy of Homer Simpson.

Bart - Dad, I'll trade you this delicious door stop for your crummy old danish.
Homer - Done and done !

Jan Reimers
03-11-2007, 09:02 AM
I was thinking the same thing when I saw someone suggest a 2nd rounder for Turner, who is certainly no lock to be successful as a feature back. I'd rather save our picks for draft day.

Don't Panic
03-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Well, Turner is worth a 2nd round gamble. If he was in the draft, even as a 24 year old, he'd be right there with Leonard/Irons/Bush etc.

camelcowboy
03-11-2007, 09:40 AM
I was thinking the same thing when I saw someone suggest a 2nd rounder for Turner, who is certainly no lock to be successful as a feature back. I'd rather save our picks for draft day.

Turner is as good or better then any second round back. Im sure a rookie second round back is a "lock" to be a successful feature back :rolleyes:

YardRat
03-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Nobody is a lock....Ever. McGahee isn't a lock in Baltimore, Rhodes in Oakland, Jones in NY, etc. Neither is Thomas, Welker, or Stallworth in NE. Or Porter in Miami. Or Dockery, Walker, and Whittle in Buffalo.

It's all a gamble, and even if it appears someone has a made 'the right move', it still might not produce the desired results.

Polian was granted more 'genius' accolades for trading Faulk to St Louis and drafting James ahead of Williams, yet Faulk quickly won a ring with the Rams and Polian had to wait until Edge skipped town to Arizona to realize a Super Bowl victory.

It's a matter of risk/reward, and the dreaded 'potential'.

Turner could go boom or bust if/when he relocates. Is the risk/reward better or worse than the same for a draft pick? Which is the bigger gamble? Which gives you the opportunity for bigger pay-off?

Night Train
03-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Turner is as good or better then any second round back. Im sure a rookie second round back is a "lock" to be a successful feature back :rolleyes:

Where is it written that the Chargers are willing to deal Turner for a 2nd round pick, other than football message boards ?

They tendered him high but that's still peanuts. Why would they deal him at all ? I wouldn't, if I was in A.J. Smiths position.

HHURRICANE
03-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Anytime a guy plays behind a solid starter they are going to look good. Lamont Jordan comes to mind. Everybody thought that the Raiders made a great pickup when they got him from the Jets. Nobody ever thought about how Curtis Martin just wore down Ds before Lamont ever touched the ball. Rhodes is now in Oakland so we know how that turned out.

Rookies get the benefit of the doubt because they come in as starters from another team. A guy that's played backup is a backup for a reason.

Turner plays behind one of the best RBs in NFL history and one of the best OLs in history. By the time he gets the ball he's getting his 6 yards a carry because the game is over. I'll take my chances in the draft.

Ickybaluky
03-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Isn't it a little ironic that people are lusting after Turner because they think the guy will be better than anything available in the draft, but the guy was a 5th-round pick?

I am as high on Turner as anyone and I'm pretty convinced he can be a feature guy. However, it isn't like RB aren't found in the draft every year. Maurice-Drew was electric last year, but was drafted with the 60th overall pick. Mike Bell goes undrafted and had a pretty good year. In 2005 Marion Barber III was picked in the 4th round and has become a solid RB for Dallas, wiht a promising future.

I'm willing to bet you can find backs in the draft each year that came in and did a solid job. If talent meets opportunity, usually the RB will produce.