PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Hatin on the Bills

raphael120
03-11-2007, 10:56 AM
They just called the signings of Dockery and Walker the worst free agent move so far...

ESPN can STFU

HHURRICANE
03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
They just called the signings of Dockery and Walker the worst free agent move so far...

ESPN can STFU

After watching them predict 2 wins and Holcomb being the starter, and our draft being a reach last year I think I'll just set them to ignore.

Michael82
03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
**** ESPN! That network has gone downhill so much lately anyways. I hardly watch it. It's all Patriots, Red Sox, Cowboys, and other popular teams, mixed with some hockey (barely), Nascar, and a ton of basketball. Who gives a **** about the NBA? Why do they have to shove that sport down our throat? :ill:

billsburgh
03-11-2007, 11:26 AM
lets just face it, until the bills start consistently winning it will be easy for these "experts" to bash the Bills and everything they do. that's just the way it is.

JPFBillsFan
03-11-2007, 11:30 AM
F ESPN....remember what they said about our draft last year?
Look frankly the more negative things they and others say, the more confidence I get in our ability to draft well and improve next year...

F all the nesayers

DMBcrew36
03-11-2007, 11:30 AM
After watching them predict 2 wins and Holcomb being the starter, and our draft being a reach last year I think I'll just set them to ignore.

Agreed. They all thought we had a horrible draft, and look how that turned out. ESPN can say what they want but they have no idea what they're talking about until September.

Bling
03-11-2007, 11:35 AM

ESPN can STFU

When you pay them Hutchinson money... well...

DraftBoy
03-11-2007, 11:37 AM
**** ESPN! That network has gone downhill so much lately anyways. I hardly watch it. It's all Patriots, Red Sox, Cowboys, and other popular teams, mixed with some hockey (barely), Nascar, and a ton of basketball. Who gives a **** about the NBA? Why do they have to shove that sport down our throat? :ill:

Sorry didnt know the only legit nation wide sports show wasnt supposed to cover all the sports. Jeez you guys are incredible sometimes.

IAG
03-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I agree with them.

don137
03-11-2007, 11:39 AM
ESPN hates small market teams and love pimping large market team (aka there target audience). If they bad mouth there target audience teams then they risk losing there viewers but since they need to label some team as the free agent losers it mine as well be a small market team. Its like kids wanting to be friends with the rich kid and picking on the little poor kid because he wants to be liked by the rich kid.
I agree they have changed very much from 10-15 years ago and are not enjoyable to watch. I just take what they say with a grain of salt.

Night Train
03-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Adam Shefter and Mike Mayock on NFL Network said they liked our signings.

Bling
03-11-2007, 11:45 AM
ESPN hates small market teams and love pimping large market team (aka there target audience). If they bad mouth there target audience teams then they risk losing there viewers but since they need to label some team as the free agent losers it mine as well be a small market team. Its like kids wanting to be friends with the rich kid and picking on the little poor kid because he wants to be liked by the rich kid.
I agree they have changed very much from 10-15 years ago and are not enjoyable to watch. I just take what they say with a grain of salt.

Agreed. There's a big conspiracy at ESPN to bash small market teams. They want to destroy them one by one.

I mean, they could always post positive stuff 24/7 so everyone continues to watch, but... it's just a conspiracy, right?

HHURRICANE
03-11-2007, 11:46 AM

Funny how Nate Clements is now the highest paid corner in NFL history but probably is the #5 or #6 player at his position. Do you think the new CBA has anything to do with it?

Bling
03-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Funny how Nate Clements is now the highest paid corner in NFL history but probably is the #5 or #6 player at his position. Do you think the new CBA has anything to do with it?

Clements was the best FA in the market. Dockery was closer to 12. Both were overpaid, but I understand ESPN's point. Marv got a little desperate, and put a little too much into Dockery. Still an incredible pickup, but like the Welker deal, too much.

patmoran2006
03-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Before FA started the Bills actually got high grades from the ESPN guys. In fact Salisbury actually called Losman the "Most improved player in the NFL"

Since FA the consensus around the league is we overspent on Walker and Dockery, lost key guys and done nothing else.

I totally disagree about the OL, well at least with Dockery.. He was overpaid ya, but he's worth it as we NEED to run the ball better. Walker scares the **** out of me as he and the entire Oakland OL was God awful.

But losing Fletcher, Clements and McGahee and doing nothing yet to replace any of them-- and not improving in our front seven yet is the big reason we're getting blown off nationally.

Til we prove people wrong on the field it will never stop, especially being the same division as NE, who are going nuts in FA right now.

raphael120
03-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah, we are going to need some huge additions through the draft or otherwise or we will be in trouble.

alot of what happens is riding on the hope that our OL signings totally resolve our O-line problems...and i hope it is that much of an impact, because if it's marginal, really all we did was upgrade Gandy's LG spot and lost a lot of free agents..

Carlton Bailey
03-11-2007, 12:37 PM
ESPN, for the most part, is a bandwagon network. Once a team starts playing well, the "experts" pull their "I knew it all along" B.S. And then a team loses a couple games after, and they suck. It's how that network is.

Remember Tony Romo went from the next Roger Staubach to "Guy who can't hold a football" in a matter of two months? Thank ESPN for building him up so damn high.

raphael120
03-11-2007, 12:38 PM
www.tonyhomo.com (http://www.tonyhomo.com) :laugh:

ublinkwescore
03-11-2007, 12:53 PM

they're just pissy towards us because Ralph canned their boy Tom Donahoe...

Or they are starting to see us as a threat to the Patriots crown within the next couple years.

ublinkwescore
03-11-2007, 12:54 PM

that was an excellent post - I couldn't have put it better myself.

justasportsfan
03-11-2007, 12:59 PM
those are moves that ESPN's buddy ,Donahoe wouldn't make. Hence, crappy FA signing as far as ESPN is concerned. Donahoe would've gone for guys like Thomas and Dielman and then hired some asst. corrdinator who would lead us to a crappy record but at least Donahoe would have an A+++ in FA singings from ESPN.

No need to get pissed at ESPN really. It's up to MArv and co. to prove them wrong. Actually it's up to Marv to shut all of us up. That's the bottom line.

Nobody is right or wrong . Besides, ESPN guys are no different from posters here on bz except they are paid whether they are right or wrong unlike us.

HHURRICANE
03-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Before FA started the Bills actually got high grades from the ESPN guys. In fact Salisbury actually called Losman the "Most improved player in the NFL"

Since FA the consensus around the league is we overspent on Walker and Dockery, lost key guys and done nothing else.

I totally disagree about the OL, well at least with Dockery.. He was overpaid ya, but he's worth it as we NEED to run the ball better. Walker scares the **** out of me as he and the entire Oakland OL was God awful.

But losing Fletcher, Clements and McGahee and doing nothing yet to replace any of them-- and not improving in our front seven yet is the big reason we're getting blown off nationally.

Til we prove people wrong on the field it will never stop, especially being the same division as NE, who are going nuts in FA right now.

This sums it up nicely. A little early for the media to be freaking out considering the draft hasn't taken place yet.

1) Our OL is significantly better.

2) Fletcher can be replace in the draft.

3) Youboty was drafted with the intent of replacing clements. We should be able to bring in a vet to back him up.

That leaves us with RB. Thats the one that scares me. We better move up in the second round or we are screwed.

ParanoidAndroid
03-11-2007, 02:36 PM
I'll save getting all worked up over nothing and wait until it counts....next season.

B-DON
03-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Every month or so this same thread shows up and it will again. when they talk good about us you guys will get all excited. if you dont like it why do you keep watching it. What esle are they going to show now as far as highlights. Hockey and basketball are the only major sports in season and hockey is quickly going down the toilet . You cant be forced fed anything when all you have to do is pick up the remote

gr8slayer
03-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Clements was the best FA in the market. Dockery was closer to 12. Both were overpaid, but I understand ESPN's point. Marv got a little desperate, and put a little too much into Dockery. Still an incredible pickup, but like the Welker deal, too much.
$20 million guaranteed for an aging, overrated LB is overpaying.

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Common sense has no place here, lets try to remember that when posting next time, hmm.

gr8slayer
03-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Common sense has no place here, lets try to remember that when posting next time, hmm.
0-2

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 02:52 PM
$20 million guaranteed for an aging, overrated LB is overpaying.

I rest my case!!! Lack of common sense!!! Uhh, tell us genius, how many OLB had 7 sacks last year on a team that didn't make the playoffs?? A.Thomas is the same age as Joey, I don't see you kncoking him, hmmm maybe because he was on the best Defense in football and they made the playoffs. I don't know there something wrong with your talent evaluation, like....you don't have one.

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 02:54 PM
0-2

YES, we know your IQ already, you don't have to keep reminding everyone!

justasportsfan
03-11-2007, 02:55 PM
there probably wasn't a bills vs. fins game last weekend. FTP is posting a lot lately otherwise, he'd be under his rock.

THATHURMANATOR
03-11-2007, 02:58 PM
I have a lot of friends down in the Burgh. They were telling me that the Stillers were going to release Porter weeks ago and said that he had regressed quite a bit last year and were not sad he was leaving, although he still is a solid player(probably won't return to superbowl form)

justasportsfan
03-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I have a lot of friends down in the Burgh. They were telling me that the Stillers were going to release Porter weeks ago and said that he had regressed quite a bit last year and were not sad he was leaving, although he still is a solid player(probably won't return to superbowl form)

another Jr. Seau move.

YardRat
03-11-2007, 03:07 PM
We did overspend a tad on the o-line, IMO.

All three of these guys better pan out or OBD deserves criticism.

Bling
03-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I rest my case!!! Lack of common sense!!! Uhh, tell us genius, how many OLB had 7 sacks last year on a team that didn't make the playoffs?? A.Thomas is the same age as Joey, I don't see you kncoking him, hmmm maybe because he was on the best Defense in football and they made the playoffs. I don't know there something wrong with your talent evaluation, like....you don't have one.

Good post. 1 sack every other game will be quite the contribution from Porter for us.

gr8slayer
03-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah but your friends aren't Redskin fans like FTP's family so what do your friends know about football?

kinigirly
03-11-2007, 03:22 PM
i stopped listening to peoples opinions of the bills around age 4, i don't know why or how some of you still get riled up over it. you know what the biased attitude is going to be 90% of the time before it even comes out of someones mouth. people always assume we are screwing up until we win a superbowl

Ultra Chimp 1
03-11-2007, 03:26 PM
ESPN is right on.

This team will be baaaaaaaaaaaad next season.

Real freakin bad.

Hey I got a grrrrreat idea!

Let's sign Oakland's arguably worst offensive lineman (Walker) and plug him into our starting rotation.

:rolleyes:

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 03:34 PM

That's because he's not wearing a Bills uni! Just a quick question here...how'd the rest of the Steelers D do last year??

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah but your friends aren't Redskin fans like FTP's family so what do your friends know about football?

Do you have that list of OLB that had 7 sacks last year and didn't make the playoffs, yet??? I'm sure everyone would love to see you post something with an ounce of substance for a change.

JoeMama
03-11-2007, 03:40 PM

ESPN can STFU

To imply that signing Derrick Dockery was a bad move for the Bills is absurd.

Ever since we lost Ruben Brown, left guard has been a disaster for Buffalo. We all know the list of culprits since 2003. Mike Pucillo. Larry Smith. Bennie Anderson. Tutan Reyes. Mike Gandy. And a few more that played sparingly in between.

Here's a few rushing stats that matter...

Behind Derrick Dockery, Washington was 5th rushing to the left and 7th rushing up the middle.

Sorry, but this guy is a great signing for Buffalo. Marv wanted a stud run-blocker. Marv got one. Dockery brings instant credibility to LG and an instant mean streak to the o-line. Most importantly, we got the mauler we needed to compliment Jason Peters.

Keep in mind, we were 27th rushing to the left. With Dockery, that number will be exponentially better in 2007.

No contest.

Bert102176
03-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I somewhat agree I mean we upgraded the OL that's good we still have so many holes as it stands right now I would say we get 2 maybe 3 wins our Free Agency sucks we have no RB, FB were short 1 possibly 2 LB's our TE stinks guess since we quit being smart and getting some free agents in here now we just gotta hope we can draft starters, gl with that.

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 03:47 PM

Ever since we lost Ruben Brown, left gaurd has been a disaster for Buffalo. We all know the list of culprits since 2003. Mike Pucillo. Larry Smith. Bennie Anderson. Tutan Reyes. Mike Gandy. And a few more that played sparingly in between.

Behind Derrick Dockery, Washington was was 5th rushing to the left and 7th rushing up the middle.

Sorry, but this guy is a great signing for Buffalo. Marv wanted a stud run-blocker. Marv got one. Dockery brings instant credibility to LG and an instant mean streak to the o-line.

We got the mauler we needed to compliment Jason Peters.

Keep in mind, we were 27th rushing to the left. With Dockery, that number will be exponentially better in 2007.

No contest.

That's not what was said, they were question the amount the two players (Dockery, Walker) cost for the amount of skill they bring with them. The Redskins reported they were willing to go as high as 3.5 Mil a year for Dockery, the Bills paid twice that much for ONE player!! The Bills don't have the talent on their line the Redskins do, so Dockery better earn the 7 Mill or the Bills could be in trouble. ESPN is not hating on the Bills people, their just going off what the rest of the league is saying they would have paid for those two players. It would seem the rest of the league thinks Dockery is about avg. not very surprising.

DynaPaul
03-11-2007, 05:28 PM
they're just pissy towards us because Ralph canned their boy Tom Donahoe...

Exactly! Ever since then every move, signing, or draft choice we made was dumb. Last year our draft picks sucked according to them.

Of course when their buddy Tom "The Master Poker Player" Donahoe was here every move we made was pure genius. Even when we drafted a runningback with a busted knee in the first round.

B-DON
03-11-2007, 05:59 PM
That's not what was said, they were question the amount the two players (Dockery, Walker) cost for the amount of skill they bring with them. The Redskins reported they were willing to go as high as 3.5 Mil a year for Dockery, the Bills paid twice that much for ONE player!! The Bills don't have the talent on their line the Redskins do, so Dockery better earn the 7 Mill or the Bills could be in trouble. ESPN is not hating on the Bills people, their just going off what the rest of the league is saying they would have paid for those two players. It would seem the rest of the league thinks Dockery is about avg. not very surprising.

so because thats alll washington was willing to offer thats what he is worth on the open market? our offer to nate clements was no where near what he was worth on the open market and we knew it so we had to let him go to improve other areas just like washington did with Dockery. there o-line is not a priority like ours. and btw archuleta contract is example number 1 on why not to use the redskins as an example if it has anything to do with free agency

justasportsfan
03-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Good post. 1 sack every other game will be quite the contribution from Porter for us.

those sacks will come in garbage time when teams vs. fish are up by 21 with 2 mins. left. :D

HHURRICANE
03-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm really trying hard to figure out what a fair price for Dockery should have been because after looking at all of the contracts etc. at the most we overspent by 1-2 million. Everyone who watches the Bills knows this was a great pickup. PERIOD. Whittle cost us nothing, it's less than Anderson with a 1 year commtiment.

The signing that everyone should be scratching their head over is Walker. If the media wants to hate on us for that I would have to agree until it's proven otherwise on the field.

Dockery was a better signing than Welker and for those in the media that can't figure it no big deal to me.

HHURRICANE
03-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Uhhh, Washington couldn't afford him. They were desperately trying to resign him. Who knows what he was going to get elsewhere but my guess is that it wasn't going to be much less. There were only 3 viable Guards in FA and Dielman decided to resign with his own team. Dockery was a good pick up no matter how you slice it.

To keep it in perspective Joey Porter got more in guranteed money, he's 4 years older, and is on the downside of his career. So who overpaid?

feldspar
03-11-2007, 07:18 PM
How much time to you think these guys spend studying the Bills? They hardly even know where we are at, much less what our plans are...much less if we are taking the proper steps toward our goals. The general consensus is that "the Bills suck," and they leave it at that. They focus too much on big name talent. It's ridiculous, and I don't think ESPN's "experts" know much. Their predictions about Buffalo are worthless because they don't take time to investate...they are too busy reporting on what TO had for breakfast and how his teammates feel about his Cornflakes. For example, last month John Clayton was reporting that we should expect Cleveland to cut Kelly Holcomb. He thought Kelly Holcomb was still on the Cleveland Browns two years after the fact. I guess he doesn't pay attention to Cleveland either.

We desperately needed improvement on the o-line, and that's exactly what we've accomplished. You can't really expect to improve your o-line immediately throught the draft.

Statman
03-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I agree with them.
The vast majority of people do.

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Uhhh, Washington couldn't afford him. They were desperately trying to resign him. Who knows what he was going to get elsewhere but my guess is that it wasn't going to be much less. There were only 3 viable Guards in FA and Dielman decided to resign with his own team. Dockery was a good pick up no matter how you slice it.

To keep it in perspective Joey Porter got more in guranteed money, he's 4 years older, and is on the downside of his career. So who overpaid?

Joey Porter is going to a top 4 Defense with Jason Taylor rushing from the other side and Zach up the middle, the Bills have the 28th best Offense in football no starting RB and you add Dockey.....I'm having no problem at all keeping things in perspective!!

And BTW, what does Miami and who they sign have to do with ESPN's opinion of the Bills??

TacklingDummy
03-11-2007, 08:50 PM
those sacks will come in garbage time when teams vs. fish are up by 21 with 2 mins. left. :D

aka...Arron Schobel.

HHURRICANE
03-11-2007, 09:00 PM
aka...Arron Schobel.

Uhhh, that would be Ryan Denney.

Meathead
03-11-2007, 09:14 PM
come one come all!

step right up for your chance to feel the magic touch of hall of fame coach marv levy

go ahead question his organizations decisions and bask in the sheer joy of experiencing what happens then

ublinkwescore
03-11-2007, 10:01 PM
I'll save getting all worked up over nothing and wait until it counts....next season.

I will guarantee a 9-7 season this year - because our O will keep our D off the field.

ublinkwescore
03-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Joey Porter is going to a top 4 Defense with Jason Taylor rushing from the other side and Zach up the middle, the Bills have the 28th best Offense in football no starting RB and you add Dockey.....I'm having no problem at all keeping things in perspective!!

And BTW, what does Miami and who they sign have to do with ESPN's opinion of the Bills??

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

feldspar
03-11-2007, 10:06 PM
I'll say it again:

Dick and Marv are Ivy-League smart.

The guys on ESPN...well, they just aren't.

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 11:19 PM
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

Wow, that's incredible. The most intelligent Bill fan post ever!!

raphael120
03-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I think we'll be good, but not great next season...we have too many holes to fill now, on both sides of the ball, but i think what we will see this season is hope and progress to build off of. we're not going to fill starting roles in LB, CB, RB, 2nd WR, and DT all in one off season. I think if we address half of those roles, we will be good to go. I just dont see all of them being filled, and that's 2LB roles if Spikes is gone. I just dont see the Bills going far with 5 rookies and 5 2nd year players starting on each side of the ball...

jamze132
03-12-2007, 08:04 AM

Ever since we lost Ruben Brown, left guard has been a disaster for Buffalo. We all know the list of culprits since 2003. Mike Pucillo. Larry Smith. Bennie Anderson. Tutan Reyes. Mike Gandy. And a few more that played sparingly in between.

Behind Derrick Dockery, Washington was 5th rushing to the left and 7th rushing up the middle.

Sorry, but this guy is a great signing for Buffalo. Marv wanted a stud run-blocker. Marv got one. Dockery brings instant credibility to LG and an instant mean streak to the o-line. Most importantly, we got the mauler we needed to compliment Jason Peters.
Best post so far.

No contest.

jamze132
03-12-2007, 08:13 AM
It's no secret that the Bills may have overpayed for Dockery but who cares. We needed that position filled and Marv did that. That one signing should improve the entire offense and even the defense by keeping them on the sidelines longer.

Saratoga Slim
03-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Adam Shefter and Mike Mayock on NFL Network said they liked our signings.

Shefter seems to be the most reliable reporter these days. Seems like most of the major stories get broken by him first

Meathead
03-12-2007, 09:30 AM
The signing that everyone should be scratching their head over is Walker. If the media wants to hate on us for that I would have to agree until it's proven otherwise on the field.
easily the second most intriguing question of the offseason so far

this is a sharp organization. its obvious they targeted these guys and felt they had a strategic advantage acquiring them the way they did. what was it about walker especially that made them push him into the next level where they obviously expect to get value? and what was the result of their risk assessment should it fail?

i guarantee you those answers are on the thin lips of lots of white guy at one bills drive. getting them to spill it is the hard part

HHURRICANE
03-12-2007, 09:43 AM
easily the second most intriguing question of the offseason so far

this is a sharp organization. its obvious they targeted these guys and felt they had a strategic advantage acquiring them the way they did. what was it about walker especially that made them push him into the next level where they obviously expect to get value? and what was the result of their risk assessment should it fail?

i guarantee you those answers are on the thin lips of lots of white guy at one bills drive. getting them to spill it is the hard part

Captain, we need more time.