PDA

View Full Version : How about we draft Chris Henry?

Ebenezer
03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Maybe? What do you think?

DraftBoy
03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Tough to say really he had a great combine, but he never put up the numbers one would expect from a RB like Henry. So your picking mostly on potential and not on production.

Night Train
03-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Tough to say really he had a great combine, but he never put up the numbers one would expect from a RB like Henry. So your picking mostly on potential and not on production.

Yup. The Eric Flowers factor.

Looks like Tarzan at the combine but played like Jane on Saturday.

JoeMama
03-11-2007, 03:13 PM
He's a project.

His production - or lack thereof - in college is troubling.

But at 230 lbs and roughly a 4.35-4.40 forty, it makes you wonder if you can't mold him into a good runningback.

The problem is, I don't know if you can teach "vision" in the backfield - and with his very, very weak ypc in college, it makes you wonder if it has "it" in the first place.

For a late draft pick, it may be worth the risk.

Ebenezer
03-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I was thinking with the extra in the 3rd.

JoeMama
03-11-2007, 03:20 PM

It is a late third rounder, so who knows.

Although, he reminds me a lot of Avion Black. Awesome size and speed at the combine, but not skilled enough to play in the bigs.

And as previously mentioned, Erik Flowers.

But I figured he was gonna be a bust by the time I read his first interview as a Bill. When asked what his biggest achievement was, he replied, "When I beat my cousin in Madden. He beat me like 50 times in a row. But I finally did it!"

Oh, was that painful to read.

Night Train
03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Strengths: Is a big, strong back with the size and strength to dominate. Can absorb hard hits and keep on going. Shows a nice stiff-arm to break tackles. Shows the quick footwork to make sharp cuts and bounce runs outside. Shows a surprising burst through the hole, and has the speed to make big plays. Shows good hands to make tough catches. In pass protection, can do a good job when aggressive and blocking with good leverage; can stop pass rushers in their tracks.
Weaknesses: Is unproven -- never started for a full season in college. Does not play with aggressiveness and intensity on every snap. Is a raw and undisciplined runner. Must improve his technique. When there is no hole, always tries to bounce outside and never lowers shoulders and attacks the line for short gains. Does not run with good body lean consistently. In pass protection, uses bad technique too often.
Bottom line: Henry, a junior, is a unique case because he left school early rather than stay and compete for the starting job as a senior. This unwillingness to compete is a major concern. Henry will test well in pre-draft workouts, but NFL teams must be careful not to over-draft him based on athletic ability and overlook his lack of production. If he harnesses his naturally ability, he could become a strong, powerful runner who makes big plays and contributes as a receiver. However, history has shown that similar prospects have failed to be productive in the NFL.

165 carries 668 yards 7 tds - 2006

DraftBoy
03-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Way too high imo, a similar prospect is RB Brandon Jackson from Nebraska 5'9, 210 lbs. He ran his 10 yd dash (the more telling dash) faster than Henry did.

2006 Stats;
Henry 668 yards, 7tds, 2 100 yd games, 1 200 yd games
Jackson 1023 yards, 8tds, 4 100 yd games, 0 200yd games

Henry appears to have come on late in the season, when he was given more carries. It would be a tough sell imo, but I think in Round 4 he wouldnt be a horrible pick.

DraftBoy
03-11-2007, 03:36 PM
While we talk about his lack of production lets look at the carries he did get and not just the overall results bc those tell a different story imo.

BYU-13 carries, 76 yards
LSU-6 carries, 8 yards
SFAU-0 carries, 0 yards
USC-2 carries, -8 yards
UW-5 carries, 28 yards
UCLA-9 carries, 17 yards
Stanford-16 carries, 94 yards, 1 TD
Oregon St-9 carries, 25 yards
Washington St-35 carries, 110 yards, 2 TD
Cal-25 carries, 57 yards, 2 TD
Oregon-29 carries, 204 yards, 2 TD
Arizona St.-16 carries, 49 yards

This shows me that when Henry is given the oppurtunity via carries he produces. He dominanted Oregon, and getting 7TD's in 6 weeks isnt bad either.

TigerJ
03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm all for it in the right position. Maybe that second third round pick would be a good place. There's too much risk to pick him higher. I think Brandon Jackson has some upside to, picked in the same position.