PDA

View Full Version : No DT, no LB, no CB in round 1?

jpdex12
03-11-2007, 09:37 PM
This is a bit long, but I hope I am on to something.

While we will all have to wait until April 28th to see who we draft on day one my impatience like most of the rest of you is increasing each day. I am dying to see how this plays out and who Marv and Co. pick on day one. I am reading Marv's book right now and I am finding some interesting trends in his thoughts from yesteryear and applying them to what he is doing as GM for the Bills. When he started coaching for the Chiefs in the mid 70's he battled with their GM in who to take in one year of the draft. The GM wanted the best QB to be taken in round one and Marv didn't think that the best QB ranked as high as the D end that they could get with the second overall pick. Marv saw a QB in the third round that graded out to be as good. Well, Marv got his D end to the GM's dismay and then compromised and grabbed a different QB in round two...but the QB that Marv wanted to grab that was there in the third round was...Joe Montana!

We have Larry Triplett who we paid fairly well to start at DT and I don't see him getting pushed aside yet. We drafted McCargo in round one last year and he went down to injury. He should make a difference this year. We drafted a 5th rounder Williams and he actually was good enough to start a few games for us. We have Hargrove who should be with us again and he filled in nicely. I know we didn't fair well in run defense but I can see the Bills being satisfied with what they have and not getting jumpy in round one for a DT. Okoye isn't heavy enough and we have enough off nose DT's. I don't see us grabbing a DT in round 1.

I really like Pat Willis at LB inside or outside but this year's draft is very deep at LB. There must be another LB that we could grab in round two that could fill the gap that we may or may not have. LB is high priority for us but we may be able to wait until pick two to get one. Siler, Harris, Alexander...

I do not see any CB's that warrant a #12 pick. Yes we need to fill this gap but I don't see OBD getting one in round 1. Round three is more likely.

I absolutely felt that the no brainer in round one was LB but I could easily see the Bills taking Lynch at #12. He is a very good back. All of the intangibles. Yes next year is deeper at RB but I think at the RB position you need a back with at least one year under his belt to expect consitent play from him. I don't see any backs that could be a solid RB on a team in the next few years and be the go to guy when it matters other than Lynch and Peterson. Pittman, Irons, Hunt, Bush, Henry, Jackson all seem very average. Look at Thurman, Barry, Emmit guys like that they had very good colllege careers and never missed a step when arriving to the NFL. I know OBD is looking for a two back system but we can have that with a Lynch and an
A-train.

My best guess for day one is that we go with Lynch at #12 and then stay put with our remaining picks and go LB in round two. Then use our 3rd on a CB.

camelcowboy
03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I want Lynch, but Wills is a beast. I wonder if the packers would possible trade up to beat us to lynch.

jpdex12
03-11-2007, 09:49 PM
I want Lynch, but Wills is a beast. I wonder if the packers would possible trade up to beat us to lynch.

Good possibility. Especially since whichever team they might trade down with would still have a good pick at #16 and get another draft pick.

Honestly, I would like to see us grab Lynch, Willis/Timmons and then a CB as I have above but if we traded down a few we could have a 1st round pick, (2) second rounders and (2) third rounders...we would still have a great draft and fill a lot of holes in the future.

jpdex12
03-11-2007, 09:50 PM

I'd say if Marv wants Lynch and a team beats us to him, we should trade down a few spots if possible.

YardRat
03-11-2007, 11:20 PM
The DE was Mike Bell, and the Chiefs must have moved back into the first to grab QB Steve Fuller, in case anybody was interested.

Devin
03-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Put it this way, if we drafted Lynch, Willis, or Okoye id be happy.

feelthepain
03-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Put it this way, if we drafted Lynch, Willis, or Okoye id be happy.

I wouldn't be.

camelcowboy
03-11-2007, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't be.

That makes me feel even better about those picks :up: i still think Okoye doesn't make it past the dolphins,

jpdex12
03-12-2007, 07:36 AM
The DE was Mike Bell, and the Chiefs must have moved back into the first to grab QB Steve Fuller, in case anybody was interested.

They grabbed him with the second pick in the second round Yardrat.

mysticsoto
03-12-2007, 09:45 AM

It would be exceptional if Marv could swing a trade with GB to give them Lynch and get a extra 2nd in the process. We could then grab Patrick Willis here and use both our 2nds to move up to the late 1st and grab Bush since he is unlikely to last into our 2nd (may depend on how he does on his pro day in 2 weeks). Or we could just fill holes with our two 2nds and two 3rds and grab a lower ranked RB with potential that would be a stop gap for this year until we draft a franchise back next year.