PDA

View Full Version : Again, why aren't we going after Cato June??

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2007, 10:07 PM
We need an LB, June is the best on the market. Also he isn't getting a lot of sniffs so I assume his price is coming down. Why not pick up this guy so we don't have to fill another hole in the draft??

What are we waiting for Marv??

ublinkwescore
03-11-2007, 10:10 PM
We need an LB, June is the best on the market. Also he isn't getting a lot of sniffs so I assume his price is coming down. Why not pick up this guy so we don't have to fill another hole in the draft??

I have no idea - I hope Marv's on the phone with him ASAP if Willis by chance goes before we make our selection, or if Marv sees someone he wants more on the board still and passes on Willis.

camelcowboy
03-11-2007, 10:12 PM

i have been wondering the same thing. Giants have shown a little interest in him, but im wondering what we don't know. Why isn't this guy getting any play?

The Spaz
03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Why isn't anyone else going after him?

camelcowboy
03-11-2007, 10:18 PM

:idunno:

Devin
03-11-2007, 10:20 PM

Maybe the same reason 31 other teams arent.

acehole
03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I would think the bills will wait until unloading spikes before commiting to anyone. Then the gloves are off.

Draft day will yeild some fireworks.

camelcowboy
03-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Maybe the same reason 31 other teams arent.

Yeah, I know many teams think he's limited to the cover two, but thats what we run and he was good at it. He just won a superbowl seems like a no brainer, theres probally a character issue or something we don't know about.

Tatonka
03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
because we spent 25 million on a RT?

YardRat
03-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Two strikes for substance abuse is a possibility.

Carlton Bailey
03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Perhaps Marv is talking to Jerry Angelo vis a vis Lance Briggs? I hope so, anyway.

Throne Logic
03-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Would June really be an upgrade vs. the run? He'd be Fletcher all over again, only with less character.

ublinkwescore
03-12-2007, 12:17 AM

When did this happen - I never heard anything about this...

jamze132
03-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Although I would love to have Lance Briggs instead, until he is released by the Bears, he is off limits. If he refuses to play, then the Bears might want to think about a sign and trade. Would it be worth it for us to throw them our 1st rd for him? It would be like drafting a LB, only this one is way more experienced.

DraftBoy
03-12-2007, 07:52 AM

Maybe it leaked he hit strike three?

theanswer74
03-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Because we already have a Cato June on the roster, Keith Ellison

Tatonka
03-12-2007, 08:18 AM

we have a winner.

Saratoga Slim
03-12-2007, 08:26 AM

That's probably it.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Two Ellison is better than one!

I hear Minnesota is making a play for June and Harper.

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 10:23 AM

comparing Keith Ellison to Cato June?

Wow.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have our winner for "Homer Post of the Year"!

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
comparing Keith Ellison to Cato June?

Wow.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have our winner for "Homer Post of the Year"!

I think he was being sarcastic? If not and if Marv and Dick thinks that too, are they homers?

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I think he was being sarcastic? If not and if Marv and Dick thinks that too, are they homers?

If he was being sarcastic, than my apologies.

As far as what Marv and Dick think, not every player on the roster is going to be a star. Just because Marv and Dick think Ellison is good enough to be on the team doesn't mean they think he's the equivalent of Cato June.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 10:40 AM
If he was being sarcastic, than my apologies.

As far as what Marv and Dick think, not every player on the roster is going to be a star. Just because Marv and Dick think Ellison is good enough to be on the team doesn't mean they think he's the equivalent of Cato June.

I'm not sure if they think he's an equivalent but if they think he has the potential then so be it. If Cato June's so good, why aren't there any offers? Not even from his own team. It's been how long now? Maybe Polian told Marv something about June ? :idunno:

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure if they think he's an equivalent but if they think he has the potential then so be it. If Cato June's so good, why aren't there any offers? Not even from his own team. It's been how long now? Maybe Polian told Marv something about June ? :idunno:
Could be- I don't know either.

We are, however, short on LB's. We have Spikes, Ellison, and Crowell, with DiGiorgio and Wire behind them. That's not a great LB corps to begin with, and with one injury, it's a disaster. Maybe shelling out for June isn't the wisest way to fix it, but something has to be done.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Could be- I don't know either.

We are, however, short on LB's. We have Spikes, Ellison, and Crowell, with DiGiorgio and Wire behind them. That's not a great LB corps to begin with, and with one injury, it's a disaster. Maybe shelling out for June isn't the wisest way to fix it, but something has to be done.

If we had AJ Hawk in Ellisons place , would be even be asking for June? So far it's not hard to see that Ellison nos. could've matched AJ's with Ellison playing very limited time and behind a struggling DT comapred to AJ HAwk, no?
I think we're looking for a MLB and I don't think June might be it.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 10:56 AM
If we had AJ Hawk in Ellisons place , would be even be asking for June? So far it's not hard to see that Ellison nos. could've matched AJ's with Ellison playing very limited time and behind a struggling DT comapred to AJ HAwk, no?
I think we're looking for a MLB and I don't think June might be it.

Honestly, If spikes looked anywhere close to his former self we wouldn't be having this conversation. I think Takeo might be the odd man out.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Really? With our lack of depth in LBs already, we're going to cut Spikes? I'm not so sure.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Really? With our lack of depth in LBs already, we're going to cut Spikes? I'm not so sure. I think Spikes moves to the bench, or gets cut before they move ellison to the bench. They want linebackers who can run, spikes still needs to show he can run.

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I think Spikes moves to the bench, or gets cut before they move ellison to the bench. They want linebackers who can run, spikes still needs to show he can run.
I think they'll watch him at training camp to see if he can first before cutting him.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I think they'll watch him at training camp to see if he can first before cutting him.
I agree. Plus, he really did pick it up towards the end of the season.

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 11:25 AM

I hope they don't do that. If we want til camp and he's not ready, there will be ZERO chance of finding a replacement before the season starts. The best we can hope for is someone else's camp casualty, which isn't good enough.

I think they need to make a decision on Spikes now- either decide to go into the season with him, or cut/trade him now and work on getting a replacement in FA or the draft. Camp is too late.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I hope they don't do that. If we want til camp and he's not ready, there will be ZERO chance of finding a replacement before the season starts. The best we can hope for is someone else's camp casualty, which isn't good enough.

I think they need to make a decision on Spikes now- either decide to go into the season with him, or cut/trade him now and work on getting a replacement in FA or the draft. Camp is too late.
If it was any another other player , then I'd say yes. Spikes is one type of player I'd be willing to see before I cut him. Prior to his injury, he had everything you want in a player. He's got the heart of a warrior that others could only dream off. Spikes is a player you can say, if Peterson can do it, so can Spikes.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 11:30 AM

If we didn't lose our MLB, CB, and RB in the same Offseason i'd be with you. I just cant see cutting spikes before the draft as well. It would not be good for moral

The Answer
03-12-2007, 11:34 AM

June is overrated and is likely looking to cash in during these inflated FA times - no thanks.

The Answer would rather take his chances with a young buck like Ellison even though he's likely camp fodder this summer.

~The Answer

DraftBoy
03-12-2007, 11:34 AM
June is overrated and is likely looking to cash in during these inflated FA times - no thanks.

The Answer would rather take his chances with a young buck like Ellison.

~The Answer

I dont know about overrated but Im happy with Ellison starting imo

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 11:35 AM

The Answer would rather take his chances with a young buck like Ellison even though he's likely camp fodder this summer.

~The Answer

June has no leverage in a negotition right now everyday he's on the market his value drops.

DraftBoy
03-12-2007, 11:36 AM
June has no leverage in a negotition right now everyday he's on the market his value drops.

Agreed, he's in a tail spin right now

The Answer
03-12-2007, 11:37 AM

He's a member of the defending world champs - right now he probably has unrealistic demands but he will still cash in soon.

~The Answer

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 11:37 AM
If it was any another other player , then I'd say yes. Spikes is one type of player I'd be willing to see before I cut him. Prior to his injury, he had everything you want in a player. He's got the heart of a warrior that others could only dream off. Spikes is a player you can say, if Peterson can do it, so can Spikes.

Before the injury, Spikes was the complete player- he had all the natural physical tools, plus the work ethic and desire to win that put him over the top. I wish every player on our team had his mentality. I seriously hope he recovers and returns to form this year, but I think it's a huge gamble for the team to count on that happening.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Before the injury, Spikes was the complete player- he had all the natural physical tools, plus the work ethic and desire to win that put him over the top. I wish every player on our team had his mentality. I seriously hope he recovers and returns to form this year, but I think it's a huge gamble for the team to count on that happening.
not that huge of a gamble as long as we cover the DT spot, IMO.

Don't forget we still have Stamer :couch:

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2007, 11:39 AM

It can't hurt to bring in a Plan B guy for TC just in case, but cutting Spikes now is too risky. I think there's a chance that he's back 97%.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
He's a member of the defending world champs - right now he probably has unrealistic demands but he will still cash in soon.

~The Answer

With no visits, and little interest. World champ or not, reality is he's not going to cash in.

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
not that huge of a gamble as long as we cover the DT spot, IMO.

Don't forget we still have Stamer :couch:

ha, Stamer- I thought he got cut in camp last year. That shows the kind of impact he has on this team...

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 11:50 AM
ha, Stamer- I thought he got cut in camp last year. That shows the kind of impact he has on this team...
season ending injury in the 1st game I think. He's a great ST player and I thought he was doing well at camp with the new system. :idunno:

capitolneal
03-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Isn't Coy Wire that same hybrid type of player? We just resigned him to play LB he played that same position at Stanford I think we stand pat till after the draft

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 12:01 PM
season ending injury in the 1st game I think. He's a great ST player and I thought he was doing well at camp with the new system. :idunno:

ah, so that's where he's been. I didn't get to see camp so I'll have to take your word for it.

He is a good ST guy, although I'm starting to wonder if keeping guys just for ST ability sometimes hurts us in the long run. Last year, we ran short at DT, CB, and LB at various times.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 12:07 PM
ah, so that's where he's been. I didn't get to see camp so I'll have to take your word for it.

He is a good ST guy, although I'm starting to wonder if keeping guys just for ST ability sometimes hurts us in the long run. Last year, we ran short at DT, CB, and LB at various times.

wait I forgot about Wire. I think the coaches like him more than Stamer.

All I know is that Marv knew he had to fix the Ol and he did. He also knows he needs to fix stopping the run and he will. Fewell did mention that he wants more beef up the middle and I don't think June has the ideal size. Briggs is tied up because of the tag. I'm just as worried as you about us still not addressing our stoping the run but I'm a little bit more patient.