PDA

View Full Version : Ian Scott Update

gr8slayer
03-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Free agent DT Ian Scott will visit with the Broncos Monday and possibly the Vikings later in the week.
Let the second tier of free agency begin. Scott started for the Bears when Tommie Harris was hurt, but the Bears haven't showed much interest in retaining him.

ublinkwescore
03-12-2007, 04:05 AM
link?

Night Train
03-12-2007, 04:17 AM
If the Bears aren't interested, then why would the Bills want him ?

YardRat
03-12-2007, 05:25 AM
I found it interesting that one site had a former Bill, Ron Edwards, ranked sveral spots higher than Scott at DT.

ZacGriffi~82
03-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Scott isn't that good.

Carlton Bailey
03-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Ehh, I'm not impressed w/ Scott. I'd rather let McCargo develop.

jamze132
03-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Unless we can get some 350lb corn-fed mofo in FA, we should just stick with what he got. McCargo is a huge unknown.

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 10:45 AM

because we have TIM ANDERSON.

Scott may not be our next Pat Williams, but he's better than what we have.

Oh, and the Bears have Tommie Harris.

Saratoga Slim
03-12-2007, 11:11 AM
because we have TIM ANDERSON.

Ha! There's really nothing to add to that.

I have trouble getting too excited about Ian Scott. But the fact of the matter is that if we do like Kyle Williams a lot, which the front office seems to, it would seem to make sense to sign a veteran FA DT to rotate with Kyle. I'm all for drafting Okoye because right now I don't see us finding a FA, but if we do spend #12 on a DT, you can bet Kyle Williams isn't going to see as much of the field. If that's the route they decide to go, its evidence that they think KW has limited further upside potential.

mysticsoto
03-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Ha! There's really nothing to add to that.

I have trouble getting too excited about Ian Scott. But the fact of the matter is that if we do like Kyle Williams a lot, which the front office seems to, it would seem to make sense to sign a veteran FA DT to rotate with Kyle. I'm all for drafting Okoye because right now I don't see us finding a FA, but if we do spend #12 on a DT, you can bet Kyle Williams isn't going to see as much of the field. If that's the route they decide to go, its evidence that they think KW has limited further upside potential.

Incorrect. With the rotational scheme Jauron has implemented, all DTs will get plenty of time on the field. Just think, Tim Anderson was BAD last year and he still saw plenty of time. Nobody is going to be warming that bench for a long time. The best thing would be to place DTs that might be better against the run on 1st down and sometimes 2nd (Tripplett/Okoye maybe?), while the DTs better at pass rushing could go occasionally on 2nd down and 3rd downs (McCargo/Williams ?).

I'm just guessing on McCargo - I don't know whether he's better against the pass or rush. But I think something like that would be ideal and would keep both sets of DTs fresh throughout the entire game.

Bert102176
03-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I found it interesting that one site had a former Bill, Ron Edwards, ranked sveral spots higher than Scott at DT.

I saw that also

The Answer
03-12-2007, 02:52 PM

Simple ANSWER to this question - One team is a legit championship contender, the other has been mired in mediocrity and losing for a decade now.

The Answer will let you figure out which is which.....

~The Answer

Saratoga Slim
03-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Incorrect. With the rotational scheme Jauron has implemented, all DTs will get plenty of time on the field. Just think, Tim Anderson was BAD last year and he still saw plenty of time. Nobody is going to be warming that bench for a long time. The best thing would be to place DTs that might be better against the run on 1st down and sometimes 2nd (Tripplett/Okoye maybe?), while the DTs better at pass rushing could go occasionally on 2nd down and 3rd downs (McCargo/Williams ?).

I'm just guessing on McCargo - I don't know whether he's better against the pass or rush. But I think something like that would be ideal and would keep both sets of DTs fresh throughout the entire game.
Sure, they rotate. I'm guessing Anderson and Williams rotated almost evenly last year because there may not have been a very big difference between their respective abilities (KW was a rookie). But 12 is a very high pick, and if Okoye turns out to be as good as advertised, he's going to be rotating in an awful lot. That's going to come at the expense of someone's playing time. I.e. Tommie Harris is in the game as often as the Bears can get him in there.

I'm not knocking the rotation idea, or KW. I just think that if we spend a 1st rounder on a position that someone else on our roster already plays, its got to be looked at as some kind of statement regarding the adequecy of the existing personnel.