• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Brandon Siler and David Harris

I see these two ILBs referred to a lot in threads around the message board as possible 2nd round selections. While I agree that both of these players are very talented, they are weak at the one area that our defense requires - pass coverage. That is why I feel it is highly doubtful that either of these guys will be drafted by the Bills. If we were running a differnet defense I could see it, but I think our DC and GM are going to stay committed to the Tampa 2 and therefore will look elsewhere for LB prospects. If it's not Willis at ILB, there really isn't anyone else that can come in and start from the draft.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Brandon Siler and David Harris

Siler won't make it to round two I dont think.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bwbrenton
      I see these two ILBs referred to a lot in threads around the message board as possible 2nd round selections. While I agree that both of these players are very talented, they are weak at the one area that our defense requires - pass coverage. That is why I feel it is highly doubtful that either of these guys will be drafted by the Bills. If we were running a differnet defense I could see it, but I think our DC and GM are going to stay committed to the Tampa 2 and therefore will look elsewhere for LB prospects. If it's not Willis at ILB, there really isn't anyone else that can come in and start from the draft.
      there are definately guys out there.. did you realize 6th round pick, Kieth Ellison, would be capable of starting as a rookie?
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Thast pretty short sided imo. Willis is our only option at MLB in the whole draft? And Coverage skills cant be taught? The only thing we need to make sure we have in a LB to start with is tackling skills, speed, and intelligence. He can learn the scheme and his responsibility.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Ed
          Dude
          • Sep 2002

I read somewhere that Patrick Willis' weakness is pass coverage too.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

Ellison is a good point, but can we bank on that? Ellison was a reserve to start the season. Had he been a starter from day one, we would have been pretty thin. Willis is our only option at MLB to come in and make a difference... we can grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th round, but he probably won't be able to start from day one. Are you saying we're going to let Siler and Harris learn to play pass coverage while they play? That's what I'm talking about... guys that can come in and start from day one. I don't see Siler and Harris as being those guys.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I think the point here is that we don't need a raw project, no matter how good he may be in the future, at LB. We need a guy who can step in and start now.

Although I would say the same applies at RB, CB and DT. We have holes that need to be plugged NOW.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                I think the point here is that we don't need a raw project, no matter how good he may be in the future, at LB. We need a guy who can step in and start now.

Although I would say the same applies at RB, CB and DT. We have holes that need to be plugged NOW.
                Except for the very rare player, almost no rookie should be counted on to be able to get drafted, step right and start effectively as a rookie.

Often they do, but the way its starting to look right now.. having to depend on second, third or even fourth rounders to come in and start is both mind-boggling and scary.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ed
                  I read somewhere that Patrick Willis' weakness is pass coverage too.
                  Willis has great range. He does not sniff out the ball well (int's), but he moves laterally as well as you could hope for.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    Except for the very rare player, almost no rookie should be counted on to be able to get drafted, step right and start effectively as a rookie.

Often they do, but the way its starting to look right now.. having to depend on second, third or even fourth rounders to come in and start is both mind-boggling and scary.
                    True, but I could see a solid 3rd round CB starting in our scheme (like Youboty... since this will be his first full camp) and a 2nd round RB starting. It may not be ideal, but it logically could be done.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

I've mentioned David Harris in Round 2 quite a lot, even though I'm well aware he wasn't asked to drop into zone coverage at Michigan. I saw him play often and know his game quite well. He attacks the hole instantly and stops RB's at the LOS.

I based my thinking on quotes from both Jauron and Fewell after last season ended. They basically said they may tweek the Cover 2 a bit to allow for more size in the middle, which signaled to me that Fletcher was gone and run stuffing was now a priority.

That's the only reason I mentioned Harris and started looking at DT's who were bigger than the standard 1 Gap DT the Cover 2 usually has.

We'll see if the Bills go in that direction.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Ellison is a good point, but can we bank on that? Ellison was a reserve to start the season. Had he been a starter from day one, we would have been pretty thin. Willis is our only option at MLB to come in and make a difference... we can grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th round, but he probably won't be able to start from day one. Are you saying we're going to let Siler and Harris learn to play pass coverage while they play? That's what I'm talking about... guys that can come in and start from day one. I don't see Siler and Harris as being those guys.

No I advocate taking a LB to be depth. I dont see any LB out there thats going to knock Crowell out of the middle. We need depth players and Siler and Harris are the best at that. They all have similar skill sets and could be just as dominant.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          No I advocate taking a LB to be depth. I dont see any LB out there thats going to knock Crowell out of the middle. We need depth players and Siler and Harris are the best at that. They all have similar skill sets and could be just as dominant.
                          I mean this with all due respect, but are you advocating using a 2nd round draft pick for depth? I think we have too many needs to look at it that way, especially when you consider that its such a high 2nd round pick. IMO, the two guys we take at #12 and #41 need to be starters... based on the way things look right now.

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

I can't say that I've seen much of David Harris. His measurables are good, but I have seen one scouting report (http://www.nflfans.com/x/2007/showpl...David%20Harris) that really disses him as anything but a run stopper in the NFL.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

I mean this with all due respect, but are you advocating using a 2nd round draft pick for depth? I think we have too many needs to look at it that way, especially when you consider that its such a high 2nd round pick. IMO, the two guys we take at #12 and #41 need to be starters... based on the way things look right now.

You wont find one who should be a starter, having to put them there is a different story. We have no hole on this team that can be filled adequately by a rookie. Not going to happen.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X