PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Siler and David Harris

Don't Panic
03-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I see these two ILBs referred to a lot in threads around the message board as possible 2nd round selections. While I agree that both of these players are very talented, they are weak at the one area that our defense requires - pass coverage. That is why I feel it is highly doubtful that either of these guys will be drafted by the Bills. If we were running a differnet defense I could see it, but I think our DC and GM are going to stay committed to the Tampa 2 and therefore will look elsewhere for LB prospects. If it's not Willis at ILB, there really isn't anyone else that can come in and start from the draft.

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Siler won't make it to round two I dont think.

Tatonka
03-12-2007, 10:16 AM
I see these two ILBs referred to a lot in threads around the message board as possible 2nd round selections. While I agree that both of these players are very talented, they are weak at the one area that our defense requires - pass coverage. That is why I feel it is highly doubtful that either of these guys will be drafted by the Bills. If we were running a differnet defense I could see it, but I think our DC and GM are going to stay committed to the Tampa 2 and therefore will look elsewhere for LB prospects. If it's not Willis at ILB, there really isn't anyone else that can come in and start from the draft.

there are definately guys out there.. did you realize 6th round pick, Kieth Ellison, would be capable of starting as a rookie?

DraftBoy
03-12-2007, 10:28 AM

Thast pretty short sided imo. Willis is our only option at MLB in the whole draft? And Coverage skills cant be taught? The only thing we need to make sure we have in a LB to start with is tackling skills, speed, and intelligence. He can learn the scheme and his responsibility.

Ed
03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
I read somewhere that Patrick Willis' weakness is pass coverage too.

Don't Panic
03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Ellison is a good point, but can we bank on that? Ellison was a reserve to start the season. Had he been a starter from day one, we would have been pretty thin. Willis is our only option at MLB to come in and make a difference... we can grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th round, but he probably won't be able to start from day one. Are you saying we're going to let Siler and Harris learn to play pass coverage while they play? That's what I'm talking about... guys that can come in and start from day one. I don't see Siler and Harris as being those guys.

Jan Reimers
03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
I think the point here is that we don't need a raw project, no matter how good he may be in the future, at LB. We need a guy who can step in and start now.

Although I would say the same applies at RB, CB and DT. We have holes that need to be plugged NOW.

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I think the point here is that we don't need a raw project, no matter how good he may be in the future, at LB. We need a guy who can step in and start now.

Although I would say the same applies at RB, CB and DT. We have holes that need to be plugged NOW.
Except for the very rare player, almost no rookie should be counted on to be able to get drafted, step right and start effectively as a rookie.

Often they do, but the way its starting to look right now.. having to depend on second, third or even fourth rounders to come in and start is both mind-boggling and scary.

Don't Panic
03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I read somewhere that Patrick Willis' weakness is pass coverage too.

Willis has great range. He does not sniff out the ball well (int's), but he moves laterally as well as you could hope for.

Don't Panic
03-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Except for the very rare player, almost no rookie should be counted on to be able to get drafted, step right and start effectively as a rookie.

Often they do, but the way its starting to look right now.. having to depend on second, third or even fourth rounders to come in and start is both mind-boggling and scary.

True, but I could see a solid 3rd round CB starting in our scheme (like Youboty... since this will be his first full camp) and a 2nd round RB starting. It may not be ideal, but it logically could be done.

Night Train
03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I've mentioned David Harris in Round 2 quite a lot, even though I'm well aware he wasn't asked to drop into zone coverage at Michigan. I saw him play often and know his game quite well. He attacks the hole instantly and stops RB's at the LOS.

I based my thinking on quotes from both Jauron and Fewell after last season ended. They basically said they may tweek the Cover 2 a bit to allow for more size in the middle, which signaled to me that Fletcher was gone and run stuffing was now a priority.

That's the only reason I mentioned Harris and started looking at DT's who were bigger than the standard 1 Gap DT the Cover 2 usually has.

We'll see if the Bills go in that direction.

DraftBoy
03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Ellison is a good point, but can we bank on that? Ellison was a reserve to start the season. Had he been a starter from day one, we would have been pretty thin. Willis is our only option at MLB to come in and make a difference... we can grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th round, but he probably won't be able to start from day one. Are you saying we're going to let Siler and Harris learn to play pass coverage while they play? That's what I'm talking about... guys that can come in and start from day one. I don't see Siler and Harris as being those guys.

No I advocate taking a LB to be depth. I dont see any LB out there thats going to knock Crowell out of the middle. We need depth players and Siler and Harris are the best at that. They all have similar skill sets and could be just as dominant.

Don't Panic
03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
No I advocate taking a LB to be depth. I dont see any LB out there thats going to knock Crowell out of the middle. We need depth players and Siler and Harris are the best at that. They all have similar skill sets and could be just as dominant.

I mean this with all due respect, but are you advocating using a 2nd round draft pick for depth? I think we have too many needs to look at it that way, especially when you consider that its such a high 2nd round pick. IMO, the two guys we take at #12 and #41 need to be starters... based on the way things look right now.

TigerJ
03-12-2007, 12:49 PM
I can't say that I've seen much of David Harris. His measurables are good, but I have seen one scouting report (http://www.nflfans.com/x/2007/showplayer.php?key=David%20Harris) that really disses him as anything but a run stopper in the NFL.

DraftBoy
03-12-2007, 12:56 PM
I mean this with all due respect, but are you advocating using a 2nd round draft pick for depth? I think we have too many needs to look at it that way, especially when you consider that its such a high 2nd round pick. IMO, the two guys we take at #12 and #41 need to be starters... based on the way things look right now.

You wont find one who should be a starter, having to put them there is a different story. We have no hole on this team that can be filled adequately by a rookie. Not going to happen.

Don't Panic
03-12-2007, 02:27 PM
You wont find one who should be a starter, having to put them there is a different story. We have no hole on this team that can be filled adequately by a rookie. Not going to happen.

By any rookie? I disagree. The #12 spot will almost certainly offer a player who can step and contribute right away. Willis, Lynch or Okoye would be immediate starters who would likely perform at a high level. Maybe that's a tougher argument in the 2nd round (although I still think we get a starter who's an upgrade at that pick), but you can't possibly think that about the 12th pick. Heck, Whitner was in the 14/15 range last year and he stepped in and did a solid job.

ShadowHawk7
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
If what you're saying is right, then we are seriously effed, and the playoffs are a pipedream. again.

If you are wrong, which I believe you are, we have a shot.

RB: We signed Thomas and should be able to get decent production b/w him and a 2nd/3rd round slasher like Irons or maybe Pittman.

LB: Going into the season w/ Ellison-Crowell-Spikes is not the end of the world, but neither is drafting Willis at 12 or moving down to draft Paul Pos or Timmons at OLB.

CB: Any rookie we draft is just as unproven as Youboty is, but Youboty has been here a year. CB is not as emphasized in the Cover 2 as it is. However, unless we sign a vet, i'd be scared going into the season with McGee-AY-Greer.

DT: Okoye will likely be there if Marv does not believe Kyle Williams or JMC can do the job. But if he does believe we'll be alright there, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So overall, with the picks we have, I believe that we'll be able to address our needs.