PDA

View Full Version : Pats sign WR Kelley Washington

Ickybaluky
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Another body at WR. Washington has size some of their other WR lack, and he is a was a very good ST player. He was injured last year.

LINK (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/03/washington_agre_1.html)

User Manuel
03-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Damn, I liked him. I think he could be more dangerous in the long run than Stallworth.

DraftBoy
03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
damnit, another good Pats signing

The Answer
03-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Another body at WR. Washington has size some of their other WR lack, and he is a was a very good ST player. He was injured last year.

LINK (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/03/washington_agre_1.html)

Pats continue to make noise with quality FA signings - no longer flying under the radar during free agency as in years past.

This isn't a good thing for the rest of the AFC Beast.

~The Answer

gr8slayer
03-12-2007, 01:23 PM
$22 million dollar contract according to NFLN.

Ickybaluky
According to Adam Schefter (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511), it is structured like Stallworth's deal. He only gets a $300K SB, but has a $4M roster bonus due in 2008.

The New England Patriots have signed another free-agent wide receiver, this time former Cincinnati Bengal Kelley Washington. The Patriots gave Washington a five-year deal worth up to $22 million, including a $300,000 signing bonus. The deal is similar in structure to the one that Donte' Stallworth signed with the Patriots. It contains a $4 million roster bonus payment that the Patriots will have to decide whether they want to pay a year from now. Washington turned down the chance to play in Miami, opting instead for New England.

I guess this means they plan on playing the spread sets more next year, so they are stockpiling WR. Plus, Dan Graham is gone, so that probably means less 2 TE sets.

Plus, I'd guess they draft mostly for defense.

Mr. Miyagi
F*** the Pats. I hope they all suck. :moon:

Goobylal
03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Expect to see Brady get hit a lot next year with more spread formations and no Graham. And none of these guys are quick-cut/get open quickly types.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 01:27 PM
WTF damn pats,

Brady so excited after the signing of Stallworth, and Washington. Boston's about to see a population boom bigger then Buffalo's when willis was in town.

LtFinFan66
03-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I really, really, really hate the Pats

mybills
03-12-2007, 01:31 PM
F*** the Pats. I hope they all suck. :moon:
what's this "I hope" bullchit? They DO!

mybills
03-12-2007, 01:32 PM
:hi5:

Michael82
03-12-2007, 01:49 PM
What the ****! Can't they leave ANY receivers out there? Why sign both of these guys when you already traded two picks for Wes Welker? :scratch:

mysticsoto
03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
The Pats look like they are stocking up on good WRs, but they are structuring their contracts such that they are likely 1 year deals only. I sincerely doubt Donte is still on the Patriots roster next year considering the way his contract has been drawn up. However, these WRs can help them in the short run while they likely grab a good WR (and likely secondary) with their 1st rd picks and develop some young WRs to start next year. Very smart for the Pats, and dumb for the WRs who will be dumped next year. Of course, these WRs are likely thinking that if they do well with the Pats this year, they may have a chance at a superbowl ring and perhaps at a larger contract next year elsewhere...and they may be right (but I hope not!).

Mr. Miyagi
03-12-2007, 01:57 PM
So now they have...

Donte Stallworth
Wes Welker
Kelley Washington
Reche Caldwell
Jabar Gaffney
Troy Brown
Chad Jackson (IR?)
Bam Childress

How many will they carry on the roster?

Michael82
03-12-2007, 02:02 PM
So now they have...

Donte Stallworth
Wes Welker
Kelley Washington
Reche Caldwell
Jabar Gaffney
Troy Brown
Chad Jackson (IR?)
Bam Childress

Tell me about it. WTF is with all these WRs willing to become another receiver thrown to the mix? Wouldn't Miami, Philly or another team that needs a starting WR have been better for Washington or Stallworth?

Static
03-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Maybe this means that BB is trying to win one more ring before he is gone after next season?

Michael82
03-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Maybe this means that BB is trying to win one more ring before he is gone after next season?
I wouldn't be surprised and I hope it's his plan. Because I'm so sick of him. :mad:

Ickybaluky
03-12-2007, 02:10 PM
So now they have...

Donte Stallworth
Wes Welker
Kelley Washington
Reche Caldwell
Jabar Gaffney
Troy Brown
Chad Jackson (IR?)
Bam Childress

Troy Brown is a FA, and has been talking retirement. Jackson is recovering from ACL surgery and may start the year on the PUP. Childress is a try-hard guy, but a borderline NFL player.

I'd expect the Pats to keep 6. Washington plays on ST, and they probably run more spread sets next year, using the WR more and TE less.

Spanish_PatsFan
03-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Good new for my team,we are doing an awesome Free Agency :D

Michael82
03-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Join the crowd! :ill:

**** the Pats! Die Pats! DIEEEE!!! :mad:

feelthepain
03-12-2007, 02:35 PM
So now they have...

Donte Stallworth
Wes Welker
Kelley Washington

None of which have a 1000 yard season, two of whichj have had injury issues the last few seasons, Satllwaorth is in drug rehab and none have made a probowl. They are adding, but they aren't exactly adding superstars or even great players. They all have the numbers of slot receivers. Just because tehy are signing people doesn't mean they adding quality. Dauntes best asset is his speed, but if you can't stay on the field, what good is it? Daunte was in one of the most wide open offenses in the league last year and his numbers weren't impressive. I'm not knocking the signings, just pointing out that they're WR signings aren't great.

Michael82
03-12-2007, 02:37 PM
None of which have a 1000 yard season, two of whichj have had injury issues the last few seasons, Satllwaorth is in drug rehab and none have made a probowl. They are adding, but they aren't exactly adding superstars or even great players. They all have the numbers of slot receivers. Just because tehy are signing people doesn't mean they adding quality. Dauntes best asset is his speed, but if you can't stay on the field, what good is it? Daunte was in one of the most wide open offenses in the league last year and his numbers weren't impressive. I'm not knocking the signings, just pointing out that they're WR signings aren't great.
Wasn't Washington another troubled Bengal too? The Pats are signing thugs. :::

Spanish_PatsFan
03-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Join the crowd! :ill:

**** the Pats! Die Pats! DIEEEE!!! :mad:

Please....I like the bills :D

Michael82
03-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Please....I like the bills :D
You're one of the few Pats fans that does. :yawn:

Spanish_PatsFan
03-12-2007, 02:52 PM
You're one of the few Pats fans that does. :yawn:

hahaha

Michael82
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
hahaha
I just can't stand the Patriots. I hope and pray that these moves come back to bite them in the ass big time and they struggle. But I know they won't. :ill:

Spanish_PatsFan
03-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I just can't stand the Patriots. I hope and pray that these moves come back to bite them in the ass big time and they struggle. But I know they won't. :ill:
LoL,I would have fear,we are doing a good team for the next season :D :D :D

The Spaz
03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Oooh I'm shaking in my boots about this signing...

bledslow
03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Expect to see Brady get hit a lot next year with more spread formations and no Graham. And none of these guys are quick-cut/get open quickly types.

K.Brady is a fine blocking tight end,not as good as graham,but still very good and the pats can still certainly play the 2-set tight end situation

About the quick cut-get open guys,welker,caldwell and gaffney are those type of guys.

TigerJ
03-12-2007, 05:20 PM
So.you think they're gonna line up with a center, Lawrence Maroney, Tom Brady and 8 WRs. I think there might be a problem with the rules.

bledslow
03-12-2007, 05:29 PM

stallworth is not a slot guy(and btw,he did not play every game).

welker/caldwell,gaffney are very good slot guys,and what's the problem with that?(and you guys will be hearing alot more next year about another very good slot guy in D.Thomas(tight-end). ---It certainly beats being a very poor slot guy doesn't it? Very good slot guys are super valuable,pats won there rings with very good slot guys(brown,branch, givens). You cant go wrong with those type of players.Now add in guys that can stretch the field like stallworth to go along with watson,it makes the offense that more dynamic/diverse

And probowls are very overrated and misleading,so is the 1000 yards barrier--you can have under a 1000 yards in a season but still make a number of big/important plays thoughout the course of a season--If a 1000 yards wasso important,i guess most players can get there if there constantly force fed the ball,but that would just waterdown your offense.

And these so-called slot guys the pats have,have a number of 20+ yard receptions.

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Kelly Washington along with the rest of their WR's will get shut down by our lockdown combo of Terrence McGee, Ashton Youboty and Jabrari Greer (and maybe some rookie)

!Papacrunk!
03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
lol at the Pats. If we say we're looking to bring in Billy the water boy (who has been able to catch a football a couple of times,) they'd probably swoop in and sign him too.

Mr. Pink
03-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Well if it was this waterboy, we'd all be in trouble....

http://img.timeinc.net/ew/img/review/981113/waterboy.jpg

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Only one way to fix that. Take Brady's head off and that would make the wr's useless.

feelthepain
03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
stallworth is not a slot guy(and btw,he did not play every game).

welker/caldwell,gaffney are very good slot guys,and what's the problem with that?(and you guys will be hearing alot more next year about another very good slot guy in D.Thomas(tight-end). ---It certainly beats being a very poor slot guy doesn't it? Very good slot guys are super valuable,pats won there rings with very good slot guys(brown,branch, givens). You cant go wrong with those type of players.Now add in guys that can stretch the field like stallworth to go along with watson,it makes the offense that more dynamic/diverse

And probowls are very overrated and misleading,so is the 1000 yards barrier--you can have under a 1000 yards in a season but still make a number of big/important plays thoughout the course of a season--If a 1000 yards wasso important,i guess most players can get there if there constantly force fed the ball,but that would just waterdown your offense.

And these so-called slot guys the pats have,have a number of 20+ yard receptions.

Why casue he's fast?? You need to beat someone off the LOS too to be consider 1 or 2. Obviously that's not one of Daunte's strengths. He gets open, when someone blows a coverage or doesn't jam him at the LOS. If you can't beat the jam you should be in the slot.