PDA

View Full Version : A-Train stopped in buffalo

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Buffalobills.com: Just four days after running back Willis McGahee was traded to Baltimore for three draft picks, Buffalo brought their free agent rusher back into the fold signing Anthony Thomas to a multi-year contract....

http://www.buffalobills.com/billsclipstoday/
Here we go!!!

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Considering they weren't able to do a single thing to improve the RB situation anywhere else.. It's a good "value" resigning.

the bad news is there's a good chance this is our new #1 RB, yet another example of how this team will be further perceived nationally as heading downhill..

raphael120
03-12-2007, 01:36 PM
awesome, he knows the offense we're running, he's a good solid player, and a perfect compliment to whatever rookie RB we bring in. great resigning.

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm glad we got him back. We still need to draft an RB for the future, but he'll definitely help carry the load.

Michael82
03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Now we got one of our RB positions filled. Next up is Michael Bush or Marshawn Lynch. :dance:

Philagape
03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Good re-signing. :up:

RockStar36
03-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Good re-signing, assuming he isn't the #1 guy.

Michael82
Oh yeah, I got this from my Verizon VCOACH text message.....

The Bills today announced the signing of unrestricted free agent running back Anthony Thomas.

DraftBoy
I dont think we'll be seeing that 1st or 2nd Round RB anymore

The Answer
03-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Considering they weren't able to do a single thing to improve the RB situation anywhere else.. It's a good "value" resigning.

the bad news is there's a good chance this is our new #1 RB, yet another example of how this team will be further perceived nationally as heading downhill..

Pat Moran - Despite your constant bashing of The Answer, you do make a lot of sense and your spot on with this assement.

The A-Train may have stopped in Buffalo, but not sure if The Answer is ready to take a ride yet.

~The Answer

HHURRICANE
03-12-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm scratching my head a little. Why were the Bills even entertaining people like Rhodes, etc. To me A-train is a much better back and a team player. Good signing. We'll get our starter in the draft. Good 1-2 punch.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Pat Moran - Despite your constant bashing of The Answer, you do make a lot of sense and your spot on with this assement.

The A-Train may have stopped in Buffalo, but not sure if The Answer is ready to take a ride yet.

~The Answer:yap:

Jeff1220
03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I think this cements a RB rotation of:
1.a early round rookie (Lynch I hope)
1.b A-Train
3. Shaud

Michael82
03-12-2007, 01:47 PM
The interesting thing is this quote from Losman. You think he was throwing a little dig at McGahee at the same time? :snicker:

"He knows when he's supposed to stay and when to get out," said Losman of Thomas. "He knows when he has to chip, when he has to help a guard, if he has to help a tackle. He knows where to be and when to be there and it was very, very helpful to rely on him. He recognizes things with a defense and knows when he's supposed to stay in and protect or when it's better to get out in a route and get open for me."

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 01:48 PM
AGree with draftboy.

While I have no problems with ATrain on the team, I think now that we will not go RB in rounds one or two.

We can't we still have too many GAPING holes and unless we fill at least two of them via FA.. we lose our power of a best player pick at 12 and have to use it 100% on need.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
AGree with draftboy.

While I have no problems with ATrain on the team, I think now that we will not go RB in rounds one or two.

We can't we still have too many GAPING holes and unless we fill at least two of them via FA.. we lose our power of a best player pick at 12 and have to use it 100% on need.

Willis or Okoye, then get a back in the second or third. No corner backs pleasssssssssse!

Michael82
I'm scratching my head a little. Why were the Bills even entertaining people like Rhodes, etc. To me A-train is a much better back and a team player. Good signing. We'll get our starter in the draft. Good 1-2 punch.
They were entertaining other players to get A-Train to lower his contract demands. Let's hope it worked, because they wanted him back right after the season but the local papers said he wanted too much money. I hope they didn't cave into him. :pray:

mybills
I'll bet they're not even drafting a RB.
They're gonna make everyone think it's gonna be
Thomas - #1
Williams - #2
until they announce that they worked out a deal with Tiki Barber. :snicker:

Michael82
03-12-2007, 01:52 PM
AGree with draftboy.

I disagree somewhat. I have a feeling that there won't be a first round RB anymore, but I still believe that they will draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

YardRat
03-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Glad to see A-Train back in the fold. I need to find that poll and change my answer...RB is no longer first priority now.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I'll bet they're not even drafting a RB.
They're gonna make everyone think it's gonna be
Thomas - #1
Williams - #2
until they announce that they worked out a deal with Tiki Barber. :snicker:

The bills will have to draft a rb on the first day. Williams as a number 2 makes me want to vomit. wouldn't mind barber, don't think it's likely :idunno:

Meathead
03-12-2007, 01:57 PM
or scrap the franchise back as part of a permanent strategy

lots of good offenses do it, like indy philly and denver. if marv and co are correct and get good play out of the metric ton of offensive linemen they just signed they wont need a marquee back to generate rb yardage

the bills could now sign chris brown or some other vet that pops up somewhere and use one of their thirds on a rb and be totally covered there

The Marv is my shepherd i shall not want

OpIv37
03-12-2007, 01:57 PM
we still need to draft a guy but I'm just happy that Shaud Williams is no longer the best RB on the roster.

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Glad to see A-Train back in the fold. I need to find that poll and change my answer...RB is no longer first priority now.
Are you serious?

Dude..

he averaged 3.5 yards per carry last year.. He hasn't had more than 122 carries in a season in four years.

He's averaged 3.2 yards per carry over the past four years. He's a servicable backup, he's NOT a starter and if he is we're in big trouble.

RB better still be a very high priority around here.

Michael82
03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
we still need to draft a guy but I'm just happy that Shaud Williams is no longer the best RB on the roster.
Anyone who thinks that Shaud Williams was going to be the number 1 or even number 2 RB on the team is a moron! :crazy:

The Answer
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM

The acceptance of mediocrity by some Bills fans is mindboggling - some things will never change....

~The Answer

EDS
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM
They were entertaining other players to get A-Train to lower his contract demands. Let's hope it worked, because they wanted him back right after the season but the local papers said he wanted too much money. I hope they didn't cave into him. :pray:

Um, is there another team in the NFL that is interested in this guy? A-train is an o.k. back-up but nothing more. I hope they didn't give him much more then the minimum.

I would have rather had Chris Brown.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 02:05 PM
yet another example of how this team will be further perceived nationally as heading downhill..

Awsome. I hope so. Nationally, they laughed at MArv's draft and said that both the jets and bills weren't going to do anything last year.

Nationally they also picked the fins to win the divsion last year , said that Culppeper was the off seasons best signing and some even stated they'd make sb.

They were nationally wrong and can nationally kiss Marv's crusty ,old a$$.

mybills
03-12-2007, 02:05 PM
The bills will have to draft a rb on the first day. Williams as a number 2 makes me want to vomit. wouldn't mind barber, don't think it's likely :idunno:
Sounds like you took my post seriously.

OOPS! :chuckle:

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Sounds like you took my post seriously.

OOPS! :chuckle:

Hard to see sarcasim in type :oops:

madness
03-12-2007, 02:11 PM

AGree with draftboy.

Apparently you don't pay attention to what they have been saying at OBD. :shakeno:

gr8slayer
03-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm very glad to have the A-Train back.

Jan Reimers
03-12-2007, 02:13 PM
The A-Train signing gives us a solid backup and a good team guy. I don't think it will change our draft order one bit, however. We still need a feature running back, which we'll take sometime on day one.

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Awsome. I hope so. Nationally, they laughed at MArv's draft and said that both the jets and bills weren't going to do anything last year.

Nationally they also picked the fins to win the divsion last year , said that Culppeper was the off seasons best signing and some even stated they'd make sb.

They were nationally wrong and can nationally kiss Marv's crusty ,old a$$.
Im really starting to think you have an old-man crush on Marv Levy.. scary

and while nobody is laughing today at Buffalo's draft (and I never did) the bottom line is he could've done a lot better.. Our weaknesses on this team were the OL and DL and we coulda had Ngata at 8 instead of Whitner and Nick Mangold at 26 instead of McCargo.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 02:16 PM
you do make a lot of sense and your spot on with this assement.

~The Answer

well whadaya know. Great minds think alike Pat.

BAM
03-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Awesome.

I'm glad he was able to come back.

Saratoga Slim
03-12-2007, 02:20 PM
The A-Train signing gives us a solid backup and a good team guy. I don't think it will change our draft order one bit, however. We still need a feature running back, which we'll take sometime on day one.

I agree Jan. The front office doesn't look at Thomas as a feature back--look how fast they rushed McGahee back into full time service following his rib injury this fall. If they were fully confident in A-Train, they could have eased Willis back into things.

Even if the plan is to utilize Thomas more this season, I think they're still going place a priority on getting someone in here that can provde a legitimate complement to Thomas, if not carry the larger share of the load. I don't think they'll let that priority slip into the second day, where there very well might be a good RB option available--but the odds diminish.

I'm highly skeptical that they'll take Lynch at 12. but I do think we'll see a RB with one of the 2nd or 3rd round picks.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Im really starting to think you have an old-man crush on Marv Levy.. scary

and while nobody is laughing today at Buffalo's draft (and I never did) the bottom line is he could've done a lot better.. Our weaknesses on this team were the OL and DL and we coulda had Ngata at 8 instead of Whitner and Nick Mangold at 26 instead of McCargo.

It's not a crush. It's me waiting for him to be nationally wrong which he hasn't.

After watching yesterday's replay of the first bills vs. pats game, it's not so far fetched to think the the reason why the pats have gone aggressive in FA and spending wildly is because Bellichick realizes that both the bills and jets have the right people that moving them in the right direction. The only ones who don't think so where the ones that were wrong about Marv, like nationally and Pat Moran.

Blah. It's easy to criticize hindsight. If MArv didn't draft db's , you'd be b!tching that our weakness are the db's. Don't bother , you'll just end up contradicting yourself.

Bert102176
03-12-2007, 02:23 PM
bout time they did something else right, but we still missed out on some prime players while NE, flourished, as we stand right now we would be 2nd to last in the east only ahead of the Dolphins

Bert102176
03-12-2007, 02:27 PM
I mentioned before that we should talk to Barber the only reason he retired was cause of that piece of crap coach that no one likes over there, but if he were to come out of retirement he would have to be traded from the Giants cause he would still be under contract with them.

HHURRICANE
03-12-2007, 03:42 PM

Shaud is JP's "Tiny Tim". Without him their is nobody to twirl around after JP throws his TD passes.

patmoran2006
03-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Shaud Williams is RUDY, minus the heart.

Night Train
03-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Thomas signs for 2 years- 2 Mil and a 400K bonus, according to Adam Shefter on the NFL Network.

A backup making backup $$. We now resume our regularly scheduled sanity.. picking a starting RB on Day 1 of the Draft.

justasportsfan
03-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Thomas signs for 2 years- 2 Mil and a 400K bonus, according to Adam Shefter on the NFL Network.

can't wait to hear the whiners say we overpaid and or WTH was Marv thinking.

The Answer
03-12-2007, 05:51 PM
can't wait to hear the whiners say we overpaid and or WTH was Marv thinking.

He shouldn't have been resigned period - those figures speak for themself. The fact that no other team was in the market for the A-train is also very telling.

~The Answer

Michael82
03-12-2007, 05:53 PM

A backup making backup $$. We now resume our regularly scheduled sanity.. picking a starting RB on Day 1 of the Draft.
Damn, thats a pretty good deal! Now I really believe that we will still sign another FA like Brown or trade for Jones in addition to A-Train.

camelcowboy
03-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Very good contract,