• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Off-season so far....

Offense
    -Offensive line upgraded with additions of Dockery and Walker. I think we may have overpaid a little, but a) we had the money, b) all the FA's are getting too much this year, c) we got the guys we wanted and d) if they play well, no one will care how much they make. So I'm not overly concerned that we over paid.

-Losing McGahee. The guy had less than 1000 yards and a bad attitude. It's not that hard to equal that kind of production. If we draft an RB in Round 2 or 3 to trade off with A-Train we'll be fine. Despite what the national media says, I don't consider McGahee a huge loss- his production has been continuously dropping and his YPC is terrible. Good riddance.

-We still need a #2 WR and a TE that's worth a damn, but for the moment, I guess we're just going to have to hope that JP can make a better use of his "weapons" wih more time. This team has too many other issues to be worrying about this at the moment.

Defense:
    -Losing Clements- he's overrated and got WAY too much money. But Youboty starting is a scary thought. I really hope we can find a vet CB as a stopgap solution.
    -Losing Fletcher. He's past his prime, but TKO's health is an issue so we still need to replace him. Spikes-Crowell-Ellison might be serviceable if TKO is healthy, but that's a big IF. And if TKO isn't heathy, it's Ellison-Crowell- DiGiorgio/Stamer/Wire? That's a scary thought.
    -the DL- 8 of 9 guys from last year's DL are either under contract or tendered. Conclusion: it's unlikely we'll see any help in this area. And that's a scary prospect for the 27th ranked run D. They might improve a little depending on Williams' and McCargo's progress, but I highly doubt it will make them good enough.

Two scary trends in the analysis on this board: First, people are relying too much on the draft as far as getting help. The draft is a gamble because a) we have to depend on the guy we want being there, b) draft picks are completely untested in the NFL and even the best drafters get a bust now and then and c) even the good draft picks often take a year or so to develop in the NFL. We can't count on the draft for help this year.

Second, people are putting too much stock in improvement on the DL from the rookies gaining experience and the players getting another year in the system. While I agree with the general premise, it's not reasonable to expect that experience alone will be enough to make a bad DL into a good DL in one year. Not fixing the DL reminds me of Flanders' beatnik parents on the Simpsons: "We've tried nothing, man, and it hasn't worked!"

Conclusion: The O is moderately better. At the moment, the defense is worse. Overall, the team has some huge holes. Expect similar results to last year. Early struggles, then improving but it'll be too little too late.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Off-season so far....

Things can still happen..

SO far I give this grade a low C-..

They improved in ONE spot for sure.. Took a huge risk on a fat **** that got eaten alive in Oakland, signed a bum to compete in the interior of the line; and have done absolutely nothing on defense to date.

So at least on March 11, 2007 they get a low C-.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

DiGiorgio/Stamer/Wire

I just threw up in my mouth.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

I forgot to mention coaching.

I still have my doubts about Jauron. While I have to give him credit for having the team ready to play and getting the most out of limited talent, his in-game decision-making and adjustments leave a lot to be desired.

When it comes to Fewell, I'm just not convinced that the Tampa 2 is going to work, but I guess we have to give it time for him to get his personnel in place (which is another reason I find the lack of action on D so disconcerting).

I honestly don't know what to make of Fairchild. I think we'll be OK on O if he can get receivers other than Evans involved consistently.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

you might think we are putting too much stock in the draft, but levy himself said that the PRIMARY way to build a good team is through the draft.. FA is just to suppliment a little here and there.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
            you might think we are putting too much stock in the draft, but levy himself said that the PRIMARY way to build a good team is through the draft.. FA is just to suppliment a little here and there.
            I won't argue with that- my only concern is that we're at least one and maybe two more good drafts away from being contenders again. And even if this year is that second good draft, it'll still be young guys who need experience. So I'm afraid we have one more season of mediocrity to suffer through before we can seriously think about winning.

I just want to take at least one from the Pats so bad....
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

IMO.

The draft is the way to go to stockpile good players for the long haul... But if you're drafting ONLY to replace your best players that walk via FA year after year, then you're not accomplishing anything that's moving forward.

IE-This team DESPERATELY needs to get Losman another legitimate weapon to go opposite of Lee Evans; and they need a really solid RB. But odds are we have no choice but to go LB and CB early (and prolly DT) because we have to replace what we lost; that at least to this point we've done nothing to replace in FA.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                IMO.

The draft is the way to go to stockpile good players for the long haul... But if you're drafting ONLY to replace your best players that walk via FA year after year, then you're not accomplishing anything that's moving forward.

IE-This team DESPERATELY needs to get Losman another legitimate weapon to go opposite of Lee Evans; and they need a really solid RB. But odds are we have no choice but to go LB and CB early (and prolly DT) because we have to replace what we lost; that at least to this point we've done nothing to replace in FA.
                no point in going CB early- we have a young CB who can take his lumps in Youboty. I think we're stuck having to go LB early, and if all the LB's are gone, a DT or RB.

Also, you need to work on your definition of "best players". Clements has ALWAYS been overrated- he takes chances and sucks unless he has a ton of quality help around him. And while Fletcher's experience and leadership will be missed, his on the field performance is easily replaceable at this point in his career.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

4 Interceptions to lead the team, two defensive TD's to lead the team-- and led the team in tackles for the 19,000th straight year, not to mention being one of the few actual LEADERS of this team.. That's "easily replacable?"

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Grade so far : C

Moves everyone knew would happen, happened.

On paper the Bills looked like they upgraded the o-line but that's on paper.

No real shockers.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

The only way the Bills have a real shot at the playoffs:

1) Spikes stays and contributes. If not than you really are looking at replacing Fletcher and Spikes and you aren't going to do that with 2 rookies. For those who think Ellison is the answer...he's not.

2) RB. Sharing the load doesn't mean 3 crappy backs. The Jets found that out the hard way last year. A-train helps but we need a starting caliber back coming out of the draft.

3) Yobouty needs to play up to his pre-draft potential. If he does I'll bet money that he'll have more picks than Clements ever had here. It's a big "if".

4) DT. Assuming the Bills go LB, RB, than I have to assume the next position is DT or DE. Denney is in the last year of his contract and we are very thin at DE if you count Hargrove. A stud DE or DT would help out immensely and allows us to get rid of Anderson whil providing more depth.

Those are just the things we control. Losman has to get better. Our receivers and TE supposedly will be able to play more. Cieslak becomes a weapon, etc., etc., etc.

Comment

• jmb1099
                        • Sep 2004

For the record I am not a fan of the Tampa 2 defense. It honeslty scares the crap out of me. That being said it may be the most serviceable scheme for us considering the players we have.
                        As far as the draft is concerned I think there is as much risk with the draft as there is free agency. There are players who look just awesome only to find out they were nothing more than a product of the system. Yes there is risk with the draft, but the entire game of football is risky. Most teams are one or two injuries away from being non-contenders so it is what it is.
                        For me the question isn't weather or not I trust the draft, but weather or not I trust our front office. So lets evalulate:
                        1) Last year made adjustments after bye that at least gave us an opportunity to be competitive
                        2) Removed dead weight players that would have killed our cap
                        3) Removed dead weight players who weren't playing up to their potential (WM NC)
                        4) Said they would address the oline and have
                        5) resinged a serviceable back up rb
                        6) Proper management of QB situation

Now taking all that into consideration I have to admit I am sincerely optimistic for the first time in a long time. Marv is not Tom, things are getting done, he has followed through so far even to the point of letting go of players that he added that didn't pan out...quickly.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          4 Interceptions to lead the team, two defensive TD's to lead the team-- and led the team in tackles for the 19,000th straight year, not to mention being one of the few actual LEADERS of this team.. That's "easily replacable?"
                          leading the team in tackles is a misleading stat. Most of his tackles were 7 yards downfield because someone else either missed a tackle or got blown off the ball on the running play. The INT's come from the LB's dropping back in the cover two system- Urlacher and June had 3 each. And I don't remember the second defensive TD, but the first one was a "johnny on the spot" deal from Spikes- the ball bounced right to him on the 15 yard line. Trust me, the stats are easy to replace.

The leadership, on the other hand, will be a challenge. The good thing about Fletch is that he was always knew where to be. The bad thing about him is that age caught up with him and he's always a step late getting there.

All things considered, I'm not going to get on Marv's case for not giving $25 million to a 32 year old MLB. That sounds like something Danny Snyder would do.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                          X