PDA

View Full Version : Do you have confidence in Greg Williams now that he has some players

don137
03-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Now that the Bills are have some solid players do you have confidence that Greg Williams and this coaching staff to bring the Bills to the next level?

justasportsfan
03-09-2003, 10:01 AM
I do especially with Lebaeu on board. My biggest worry is him punting the ball inside the red zone if we don't land a reliable kicker. :D

EM Bills Fan 80
03-09-2003, 10:19 AM
I think its hard for anyone not to believe he has what it takes. In what he did with a limited group of talent on his defense i.e. Robinson, Watson now with the signing of Takeo and possibly signing Adams along with Posey being brought in, I definatly think the Bills can advance deep into the playoffs and maybe even the Super Bowl

TypicalBill
03-09-2003, 10:22 AM
one word:

YES!

justasportsfan
03-09-2003, 10:24 AM
If Sam Adams signs, I don't think the SB is too high of an expectation. We practically held teams to 10 points towards the end of the year. I don't care if the snow was a factor. I just hope GW can get the players on the same page ASAP. Camp , preseason.

We still have to get our O going though. I hope Gilbride learned from his mistakes. We don't always have to throw deep. Drew has too learn how to stop throwing those INT's when the game is on the line too.

WG
03-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
If Sam Adams signs, I don't think the SB is too high of an expectation. We practically held teams to 10 points towards the end of the year. I don't care if the snow was a factor. I just hope GW can get the players on the same page ASAP. Camp , preseason.

We still have to get our O going though. I hope Gilbride learned from his mistakes. We don't always have to throw deep. Drew has too learn how to stop throwing those INT's when the game is on the line too.

Well said just!!!

I agree. It's Gilbride who for my confidence is pending, not GW's. We need to quit trying to light things up when it's not in the team's best interests. We need to turn into a team that instead of dropping back to throw 42 times a game and run about 24, to a team that drops back to throw 30 times a game on average and runs about the same.

Of course that'll mean fewer "statistics" for everyone to rave over Drew for. But hey, we're not gonna win by throwing the ball. It's gonna be D and rushing that makes us a SB contender and if we win it, it will be the reason we do. Not passing.

I will say that if Adams and Spikes sign, we'll have to be the preseason favorites to win the AFC!

ublinkwescore
03-09-2003, 10:31 AM
I do, now that it appears our D is gonna be giving us a lot of 3 and outs (pending the Spikes and Adams sit.) to keep our offense on the field.

Last season, I felt we had the talent to make it past the wild card round of the playoffs, but we got screwed against Green Bay, and we shot ourselves in the foot against New England the second game, and against K.C. by not running Henry enough.

If Travis Henry didn't fumble against Denver, we would have won that game too. No offense Henry, you're a hell of a runner, and we're glad you're on our team - JUST HOLD ONTO THE DAMN BALL!!!

Seano
03-09-2003, 10:31 AM
I'll be very interested in how much 46 we get to see now that we have quality starters.

ublinkwescore
03-09-2003, 10:33 AM
There's no excuse for us to get swept at all this season.

We already know that we've got the upper hand on Miami.

Chad Pennington won't be able to juke Takeo Spikes, and Tom Brady isn't gonna be able to kill us with safety valve passes like he did in the first game.

justasportsfan
03-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Our O showed balance at it's best when we played the fins @ home. We ran first and when their D tightened up upfront, we released to Moulds and Price. If Drew and Gilbride is patient enough to throw 10/15 yarders, we can do it the other way if the team has great run D's.

shelby
03-09-2003, 10:40 AM
i am still not sold on manboobs, i mean GW....but it is reassuring that LeBeau will be his assistant HC. Gilbride needs to rethink his offensive game plan. The way things are shaping up, this team has far too much talent to :angry: it up and not win the AFC East.

justasportsfan
03-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Well said Church

shelby
03-09-2003, 10:49 AM
:lol: no, it's shelby...i actually do follow football, justa...
:tongue:

You can authenticate my posts easily. i always use a lower case i, Church always capitalizes his.
:D

justasportsfan
03-09-2003, 10:50 AM
:D

Schobel94
03-09-2003, 10:59 AM
I think Pennington would still be in the intensive care unit if Spikes was there instead of Robinson.

kgun12
03-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
one word:

YES!

3-13 to 8-8. I know I know people will say we could of won 1 or 2 more GW did this, GW didn't do that, Blah Blah! We could of lost 1 or 2 more too! The fact is we improved with very little improvement in talant on the side of the ball that is responsile for stopping the other team from scoring. No coach and I don't care who it is, from Lambari to Knoll and everyone in between couldn't do better with this team than GW did with what he had. Now that GW is on a more level playing field with talant he should do even better. If not than he goes, but he will!

Remember the biggest thing GW has going for him, the players love playing for him.

McD
03-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I do, but I would even be more excited if I knew he was a better coach by winning with less talent.

Billz_fan
03-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Im still not sold on the coaching staff. Hopefully they learned from some things last year and are improving just like the team itself.

I think if this team doesn't make the playoffs though he is gone.

Now with all that being said.

I think this team will make the playoffs if Spikes and Adams are on board.

I don't think though it's realistic to expect them to win the AFC. It takes time for guys to learn the system and to gel with there team mates and become a real unit.

They will most likely bow out in the first or 2nd round and the coaching staff will stay intact.

justasportsfan
03-09-2003, 03:25 PM
I hope there won't be a power struggle between Dick and Jerry. I don't know much about Krumie but after what Sam Adams said about him, it's gotta be a positive thing.

Bufftp
03-09-2003, 03:35 PM
I am not yet sold on the coaching staff yet, tell you after game four.

ublinkwescore
03-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Greg Williams has the most important intangible though - as was previously stated - this team goes all out for him, and doesn't give up.

Minnesota could have been one such game, along with the first Jets game (FLUKE).

BillsNYC
03-09-2003, 05:27 PM
i'm gonna wait and see how the rest of the offseason plays out...that first new england game in which gw was HEAVILY outcoached by belichek still haunts me.....

The Spin Rx
03-09-2003, 05:36 PM
You guys made a lot of progress last year. Your defense has come full circle. I think you will be happy with your defense this year. You have some pass rushing ability now with Posey, and one of the top overall linebackers in the league in Spikes. Your core defense is no longer *learning the system*. This should be a dominant unit. If the past is any indication of future production, Williams has proven he can operate a dominating defense if given talent.

Gillbride is another story. His old knock is he does not know how to look past his selfish, self-promoting statistics. He has not changed much since the Buddy Ryan skirmish, and his inability to protect a lead in Houston against Reich and Co. He has always pointed to his stats and rationalized the results. He has failed to learn that stats don't win games. Putting up more points than the opposition does.

colin
03-09-2003, 09:21 PM
If Adams is a Bill, we will have added 4 new starters to our front 7.

The holdovers being Schoble, Williams, and Fletcher, and the new blood (and we have a bit of depth) together make a HUGE difference in running our D.

The addage of "Good coaches build their system around their palyers, not the other way around" is only a half truth. Players change, but a good system can increase the team's effectiveness.

With Labeuoe on staff we should be able to tweak the D enough to deal with whatever it faces, and with no more Robinson, all LDE, all UT, and Watson GIANT HOLES on D, we can dictate the game.

I expect an outstanding season from all parts of our team.

Typ0
03-09-2003, 09:35 PM
It's amazing to me how people can be so forgiving to say Williams has what it takes despite the fact that he has clearly displayed he does not. Sure, he can come up with some good gadget plays and plan some twists that work...but when it comes right down to managing a football game he has done nothing but prove he can't make a decent game-time decision. Yet people round up to his defense like crazy because "the players play hard for him no matter what". Guess what, no matter how hard they play it isn't going to matter unless GW gets his head out of his arse during the game. Not saying it's clear he can't make the adustments either. Just saying he has done nothing to show he can make the adjustments and until he does he does not deserve the benefit of the doubt since we have seen him screw up so many times.

SoCalBillsFan
03-09-2003, 09:52 PM
I kinda side with typo on this one. While it is great that players play hard for him, if he can't come up with good game plans and make good decisions on the field, it doesn't matter. Punting on 4th and short form the 32? And he made terrible decisions on going for two and whatnot. He doesn't know when to challenge. This all has to change. And he got DESTROYED by bellicek when we played the Pats.

Gilbride needs to run the ball more. We have a great RB.

The defense did play better towards the end of the year, and that is a good sign. But I expect a LOT from this team this year, and IMO if the coaches don't perform and get at least 10 wins, bring in a new staff.

Ebenezer
03-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Let's just say that if he gets out of the blocks 2-5 that he is gone.

Typ0
03-09-2003, 10:06 PM
I hope he gets his act together on these things that's for sure. All of the good things people are citing are not an illusion GW really does bring a lot of upside to the table. Unfortunatelly he's defeated a lot of it with bad decisions.

lordofgun
03-09-2003, 10:08 PM
I just hope GW doesn't squander the talent we have. He made some really BONEHEADED decisions last year and was outcoached BADLY in a few games. He still needs to earn my trust.

If GW disappoints this year, it's in with LeBeau.

Typ0
03-09-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm not too happy about LeBeau and Gilbride waiting in the wings either that kind of scares the hell out of me...LOL.

lordofgun
03-09-2003, 10:12 PM
You're not the only one. :yikes:

kgun12
03-09-2003, 10:52 PM
I say again Marv Levy is a Hall of Fame Coach that was out coached in 4 Super Bowls. Mention the words super or bowl in any sentance and ML head plunges up his a$$ so far that he has to look out his mouth to see, yet everyone (including me) loves the man. Oh ya so did his players. lol. So what am I missing, why is there such anger when people talk about GW. No he hasn't taken us to a SB yet, but he hasn't embarrassed us in front of the world either! Besides that was only part of my argument, I also said he didn't have enough good players on D to do anything and that he does this year, so it's time to fish or cut bait!

kgun12
03-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by McD
Yeah, I do, but I would even be more excited if I knew he was a better coach by winning with less talent.

:scratch: I'm confused with this statement, if he won more with less talent would we really need to sign all these Free Agents.:hamrhed: