PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown vs. Julius Jones

ShadowHawk7
03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Excerpts taken from Scouts, Inc.

Julius Jones:
"Jones has outstanding burst, quickness and top-end speed. He has the explosiveness to get to the second level and an extra gear to break away once he gets there. He has excellent balance and can make quick back-side cuts. He is very effective running against the grain. He can get to the corner and make defenders miss. He is tough to bring down, despite marginal size, because of his balance. He can catch dump-offs and flares and is very effective in space. He appears to be a willing pass blocker. But Jones has been injury-prone, and his vision and concentration are questionable. He is somewhat undersized and lacks the ideal build to run between the tackles and be the workhorse Dallas craves. He can be careless with the ball and is fumble-prone. His patience and ability to read blocks has been inconsistent in the past, and the Cowboys' new scheme will require more of both from the running backs. He still needs more work on his blocking and blitz pickup technique."

Overall grade: 73

Chris Brown:
"Brown has a good combination of size, speed and experience. He is patient and will allow blocks to develop in front of him. He has good initial quickness and functional speed for his size. He is fast enough to bend the edge and get outside on the corner. He is a fluid runner who has another gear once he reaches the second level. He has above-average catching skills and is a legitimate receiving threat. He runs good routes and can get separation off stems. He has the size and ability to fight for extra yards in the open field. But Brown is an upright, straight-line runner who exposes himself to a lot of big hits. He has had some durability problems. He has good vision but little shake. He won't make many defenders miss. He could be a more punishing runner if he ran with good, consistent pad level."

Overall grade: 75

My point is, I would rather take a shot on Brown, who can be better than McGahee and is comparable to Jones, than trade a valuable 3rd rounder or worse to Dallas. This way we can fill the hole McGahee created without spending picks we needed anyways to aid other positions before the trade, namely WR, CB, LB, and DT.

How great would it be to effectively address DT, LB, WR, and then CB in one day, as well as taking care of the RB situation.

Peterson > Brown + Atrain > Jones - 3rd rounder > Lynch - Willis/Okoye > McGahee

On a side note, Turner was rated a 64. I think the comments about Atrain that marv made hinted that we would not likely be drafting a RB round 1. Even w/ Brown, I would not mind a 3rd being spent on another RB.

The Spaz
03-12-2007, 08:44 PM
I would take Brown simply because he is a FA and we wouldn't hav eto give up anything for him.

Philagape
03-12-2007, 09:03 PM
That is a good point. All things being equal, I'd prefer Jones, but the difference between the two is not worth a first-day pick, especially with A-Train back.

Kenny
03-12-2007, 09:23 PM
I would take Brown simply because he is a FA and we wouldn't hav eto give up anything for him.

Agreed...

And to add, the more and more I think about it... the less and less I want to spend our first rounder on a RB (Lynch just doesnt seem to be worth the #12 pick and Peterson has major durability issues).

I'd much rather platoon A-Train w/ Brown and wait til the next draft.
You've got guys like Steve Slaton and Darren McFadden (who even as sophmores are arguably better than any of the backs in this year's draft). Plust there's Ray Rice and even Mike Hart coming out.

I just dont see our franchise runningback this year.

ShadowHawk7
03-12-2007, 11:06 PM
That is a good point. All things being equal, I'd prefer Jones, but the difference between the two is not worth a first-day pick, especially with A-Train back.
Exactly my point, which also saves our first rounder which could be used on either of our top 4 positions of need.

patmoran2006
03-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Agreed...

And to add, the more and more I think about it... the less and less I want to spend our first rounder on a RB (Lynch just doesnt seem to be worth the #12 pick and Peterson has major durability issues).

I'd much rather platoon A-Train w/ Brown and wait til the next draft.
You've got guys like Steve Slaton and Darren McFadden (who even as sophmores are arguably better than any of the backs in this year's draft). Plust there's Ray Rice and even Mike Hart coming out.

I just dont see our franchise runningback this year.
The good news is the way it's looking at this point, we'll get a crack at a franchise RB next year as we'll probably be drafting extremely high

gr8slayer
03-13-2007, 08:55 AM
The good news is the way it's looking at this point, we'll get a crack at a franchise RB next year as we'll probably be drafting extremely high
:baby: :cry:

Canadian'eh!
03-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I would hope Marv's hint that they won't look for a RB in round 1 was assuming Peterson is gone.

If he were to still be there, and we pass on him (after passing on Leinart last year which is still a no-no in my books JP AND Leinart are a good problem to have) then i'm startin the fire Marv club.

passing on Peterson because you have Anthony Thomas is INSANE.

that being said i assume that was smoke screen and he would take him, even though no one expects Peterson the be there.