X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • more cowbell
    • Apr 2006

Why Can't some of us ever be happy?

Yes, it's only Kiwaukee Thomas we re-signed, but he was an important part of our defense last year. He knows the system and is just as good if not better than anyone we could bring in to play 3rd corner.

Heres my thoughts on not bringing in mass amounts of free agents to fill our "holes" on the team...

When is the last time teams like the Steelers brought in a high profile player in the off season? NEVER. They build their team through the draft, and re-sign their own players. When they lose a player (Randle El, Burress) they go out and find a player who doesnt break the bank, yet fits their system (Cedric Wilson) and draft someone (Santonio Holmes).

It seems every year, with the exception of last year The steelers are in contention for their division and playoffs because they have the correct "role" players that play hard and fit the system that they play.

Look at the Patriots a couple years ago...RANDALL GAY was one of their starting corners in the superbowl. Hes certainly not a high profile player, but he fits the system and played damn well. Much like were hoping on Ashton Youboty to do. Players on their roster like Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel, and even Ellis Hobbs are all good players, that they drafted and fit well into the system that they run.

Another example...look at the Jets. Who did they sign last year? No high profile players. They made the playoffs because they drafted players that fit their coaches system.

My point is some people need to stop crying that we arent singing every free agent out there. Marv has a plan obviously, and until he proves that he doesn't know what he's doing we should all look foward to this year no matter how bad it might look. After all "experts" picked us to be picking 1st in the draft this year, and we were on the cusp of making the playoffs.

Lets go Bills
    The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Why Can't some of us ever be happy?

building through the draft takes time, which means more losing until it's done.

Some of us want to see this team win, and while re-signing K Thomas is a decent signing, it's not the kind of thing that's going to put us back in the playoff hunt.

You have to build through the draft and fill holes in FA. So far we've created more holes than we've filled in FA, meaning it's going to take more drafts to fill them.

we'll be plenty happy if this team ever starts winning again.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

For those who don't cry all day long, you're preaching to the choir.

For those who cry the sky is falling, you're not going to change their minds.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
        For those who don't cry all day long, you're preaching to the choir.

For those who cry the sky is falling, you're not going to change their minds.
        Amen brutha.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

100 percent correct, mc. The one place I advocate spending huge FA money is the OL, and the Bills did that. The rest of the way, draft guys who fit your system and sign low-profile free agents. Unless, of course, a guy like Lance Briggs is available.

Bottom line: I'm done *****ing about the Bills until the season, if they end up sucking. However, I don't expect this team to be below average again. They showed major signs late last season, and with a better OL and the cancer known as McGahee gone, I have high hopes.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

This team is CLEARLY worse on March 12 than it was at the end of week 17 last season.. and no one draft is going to cure that.

It's early March and we already have to look ahead to 2008 to try and catch the Pats..... That's why Im unappy.. If Im *****ing too much, then sorry.. But its the truth

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              This team is CLEARLY worse on March 12 than it was at the end of week 17 last season.. and no one draft is going to cure that.

It's early March and we already have to look ahead to 2008 to try and tach the Pats..... That's why Im unappy.. If Im *****ing too much, then sorry.. But its the truth

Comment

• JoeMama
                Emotion Sickness
                • Oct 2002

Something to keep in mind about this team...

The cornerback position has been replenished with solid backups for many years in Buffalo and it's worked out OK.

That's not to downplay the loss of Nate Clements but here's a few personnel moves to keep in mind before getting too upset about our defensive backs.

After Jeff Burris left, Ken Irvin took over in 1998 and played well for many seasons.

After Thomas Smith left, Antoine Winfield took over in 2000 (2nd year) and played exceptionally well for many seasons.

After Antoine Winfield left, Terrence McGee took over and he's been good ever since.

So now Nate Clements is gone...

We have Ashton Youboty, Kiwaukee Thomas, Eric King, and Jabari Greer waiting in the wings - and that's barring the inevitable extra cornerback we'll get in the draft at some point.

To me, there's no difference between our current situation and 1998; when Marlon Kerner and Ken Irvin battled to replace Jeff Burris.

Also keep in mind, our pass defense never lost a beat. We allowed just over 3400 yards in both 1997 and 1998.

We have competent backups on the roster. One of which is probably good enough to elevate their game.
                Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by patmoran2006
                  Originally Posted by patmoran2006

It's early March and we already have to look ahead to 2008 to try and tach the Pats..... That's why Im unappy.. If Im *****ing too much, then sorry.. But its the truth

quoting yourself ???

the truth is many of our players only had one year in the system, and many of our DB's and younger LB's will more then likely have a step up in production this year if not more.

Is this team worse now then it was after week 17 ?

On offense everybody has a 2nd year in the O and with the coaches minus our improved OL, and our replacement RB. Again IMO any RB will be better then Willis' complete lack of participation. We lost that pathetic excuse for an RB which can and will be easily replaced.

We lost a MLB who was good but not great and had a habit of making most of his tackles well beyond the line of scimmage. IMO Angelo Crowell can be better then Fletcher at MLB.

We lost a CB who was paid way too much for his abilities.

We do need to improve our D with some players, but I just don't see this "much worse" scenario you are pushing every single day of your existence. Also I have faith in marv and his ability to know football, players, character, and make decisions that are correct, and not trying to appease the whiny masses who think there is only one way to build a champion.

I don't see any reason why we cannot at least be a 7-9 or better team next year, that is what we ended up with last season, and that is definitley not much worse.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                    quoting yourself ???

the truth is many of our players only had one year in the system, and many of our DB's and younger LB's will more then likely have a step up in production this year if not more.

Is this team worse now then it was after week 17 ?

On offense everybody has a 2nd year in the O and with the coaches minus our improved OL, and our replacement RB. Again IMO any RB will be better then Willis' complete lack of participation. We lost that pathetic excuse for an RB which can and will be easily replaced.

We lost a MLB who was good but not great and had a habit of making most of his tackles well beyond the line of scimmage. IMO Angelo Crowell can be better then Fletcher at MLB.

We lost a CB who was paid way too much for his abilities.

We do need to improve our D with some players, but I just don't see this "much worse" scenario you are pushing every single day of your existence. Also I have faith in marv and his ability to know football, players, character, and make decisions that are correct, and not trying to appease the whiny masses who think there is only one way to build a champion.

I don't see any reason why we cannot at least be a 7-9 or better team next year, that is what we ended up with last season, and that is definitley not much worse.
                    While I dont really agree with you.. its good to see someone actually attack a post and come back with COUNTERPOINTS other than whining about someone else "*****ing" which is worse than the ***** itself.

Comment

• kgun12
                      • Jul 2002

While I dont really agree with you.. its good to see someone actually attack a post and come back with COUNTERPOINTS other than whining about someone else "*****ing" which is worse than the ***** itself.
                      Not when the *****ing is nonstop, and every other post! Besides when someone does make a post that you disagree with you call them names! Take the hint man!
                      Retired Air Traffic Controller
                      USAF VETERAN
                      DAV

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama
                        Something to keep in mind about this team...

The cornerback position has been replenished with solid backups for many years in Buffalo and it's worked out OK.

That's not to downplay the loss of Nate Clements but here's a few personnel moves to keep in mind before getting too upset about our defensive backs.

After Jeff Burris left, Ken Irvin took over in 1998 and played well for many seasons.

After Thomas Smith left, Antoine Winfield took over in 2000 (2nd year) and played exceptionally well for many seasons.

After Antoine Winfield left, Terrence McGee took over and he's been good ever since.

So now Nate Clements is gone...

We have Ashton Youboty, Kiwaukee Thomas, Eric King, and Jabari Greer waiting in the wings - and that's barring the inevitable extra cornerback we'll get in the draft at some point.

To me, there's no difference between our current situation and 1998; when Marlon Kerner and Ken Irvin battled to replace Jeff Burris.

Also keep in mind, our pass defense never lost a beat. We allowed just over 3400 yards in both 1997 and 1998.

We have competent backups on the roster. One of which is probably good enough to elevate their game.
                        Didn't we cut King last summer? I remember being disappointed when he didn't make the team because he had been playing well in pre-season (of course, that was against scrubs...).

And Greer is a S, not a CB.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

I'll never be happy until we win the superbowl but that doesn't mean I'll cry about every move we make . Not gonna cry because the FO won't bring in every player I want or when I want them here now.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                            • Jul 2005

It's early March and we already have to look ahead to 2008 to try and catch the Pats..... That's why Im unappy.. If Im *****ing too much, then sorry.. But its the truth
                            I don't think you can say that. Well, you can say it, but I don't think its really that clear.

1. Is our Passing offense worse? Nope. We didn't lose anyone, and it'll probably be better with the OL additions and further JP growth.

2. Is our Rushing offense worse? Right this moment, maybe. By the time we draft a RB and/or sign another vet, and put them all behind the revamped line, I think we'll be better than last year.

3. Is our Passing defense worse. Probably. Clements is good. Youboty has a lot of talent, but at this point its not realistic to say he'll match Clements' production this season. However, you've got to imagine Whitner/Simpson will be better.

4. Is our Rushing defense worse? Possibly but I don't think so . Fletcher is concededly a loss, though its hard to tell how big of one. Spikes may very well be healthier and Ellison may be imrpoved. Otherwise, McCargo is healthy, he and KW are a year into it, and while the DL as a whole is still a weakness, we haven't lost anyone so its hard to imagine it'd be worse than last year. In short, there are a number of factors, including drafting his replacement high, that may very well offset London's departure. I still don't think it's good enough, but it shouldn't be worse.

I know your statement was that as of "March 12" we're worse than at the end of last season, but that's not a very meaningful way to look at things. The offseason isn't over, and what we have now is not all we're going to have when the games start.
                            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• JoeMama
                              Emotion Sickness
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              Didn't we cut King last summer? I remember being disappointed when he didn't make the team because he had been playing well in pre-season (of course, that was against scrubs...).

And Greer is a S, not a CB.
                              Yep, he's with the Tennessee Titans now.

So scratch that.

And Jabari Greer does play cornerback.

He plays in nickel situations.

Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X