• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Briggs threatens to sit out 2007

''The best-case scenario is that the Bears offer me a long-term contract at market value.''

Not a very flattering article on him, although he is pretty deep in a lot of Chicagoland dog houses these days. 7 years, $33 million? I'd gladly pay him that. With the money that's been tossed around lately, $4.7 million a year for Briggs is a ridiculous bargain. Didn't our RT get more than that (per year)??
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Re: Briggs threatens to sit out 2007

Wow.

Eh I mean if he doesnt wanna be there he doesnt wanna be there. He will force the bears hand.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• G. Host
      Banned
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bwbrenton
      Not a very flattering article on him, although he is pretty deep in a lot of Chicagoland dog houses these days. 7 years, $33 million?
      That was the figure they offered him LAST YEAR to extend his contract before his "I'll work my butt off for free agency" effort.

Comment

• chubluv
        BillsZone bowling team MVP
        • Jan 2003

Thats the problem with sports today. Athletes think that they can dictate where they go & what they get paid.

We are in 5th place
        Clump is on the IR
        Chubluv average is 167
        Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
        Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• Jeff1220
          H to the 12:20
          • Jul 2002

They'll do what Philly did w/Trotter. Hang on to him until the money dries up, then cut the leash and say, "Good luck with that big deal."

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

I don't know if the money's gonna dry with what's out there.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

As long as there's Daniel Synder, there's still money out there.

Comment

• feelthepain
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Devin
                Wow.

Eh I mean if he doesnt wanna be there he doesnt wanna be there. He will force the bears hand.
                NFL network reported the Bears WILL NOT, trade him. I think their the ones with the upper hand. He will make 7 mil this year. Then he'll be a FA next year. If he chooses to sit out, he will suffer far more then the Bears because he will not get squat next year in FA, one because he sat out and two for letting his team down because he's more worried about himself. That's great to the other players, but owners and GM's aren't nearly as impressed. If anything Briggs has to play or he will lose a ton of money this year and next and after all isn't that what this is all about??

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                  Roways rooking ahread!
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by feelthepain
                  NFL network reported the Bears WILL NOT, trade him. I think their the ones with the upper hand. He will make 7 mil this year. Then he'll be a FA next year. If he chooses to sit out, he will suffer far more then the Bears because he will not get squat next year in FA, one because he sat out and two for letting his team down because he's more worried about himself. That's great to the other players, but owners and GM's aren't nearly as impressed. If anything Briggs has to play or he will lose a ton of money this year and next and after all isn't that what this is all about??
                  He isn't going to make $7 M in a normal job either, so quite yer beetchin and get paid.

Comment

• RockStar36
                    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                    • Sep 2004

I'm still trying to figure out the details on this.

The way I understand it, if he sits out the whole year he wouldn't go into FA next year anyways. If that is the case, the Bears have the upper hand.

Either way, I believe the Bears have the upper hand. If they trade him they are going to get a whole bunch in return. (Assuming that they don't make a jackass trade like they did with T. Jones)

D & S Sports

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                      Sab and TD are insignificant
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Devin
                      Wow.

Anyone else getting the feeling that he's doing this because he really wants to come to Buffalo?

I mean he already said that Dick Jauron is a great coach, I'm sure he's well aware of Marv's past, and he's gotta know that we need a LBer.

it would kinda be like TKO all over again... hopefully this time, the coaching staff knows how to make it work.

I think we were one of the most talented teams after we got TKO here - minus the line - Milloy still had some ability left, but the two boneheaded coaching staffs we had just didn't know what the hell they were doing - we had the D, and we had the weapons on O, but they just didn't know what to do with it all.
                      www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• feelthepain
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
                        Anyone else getting the feeling that he's doing this because he really wants to come to Buffalo?
                        So he wants to leave a SB team, for a 7-9 team that just let their best corner, best RB and Defensive leader go?? He wants a lot of money, the Bears will want DP's in return, Tell me how what you said makes sense??

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

More fuel for the fire...

"In my opinion, there is no intention on a long-term deal here.
                          And if you don't have me in your plans for the long term, then I don't want to be here."

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Tough talk in mid-March. How intimidating.

I'm less than impressed.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                              Sab and TD are insignificant
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by feelthepain
                              So he wants to leave a SB team, for a 7-9 team that just let their best corner, best RB and Defensive leader go?? He wants a lot of money, the Bears will want DP's in return, Tell me how what you said makes sense??
                              it's very simple my "special" dolphin fan friend...

before he was slapped as the Bears' Franchise Player, he made a comment about Dick Jauron being a very good coach - Jauron was the only coach other than Lovie Smith who was mentioned in that article - the article was published by a Chicago based news outlet.

Why preytellyou would you mention only one possible other destination - if it wasn't at the top of your list - maybe we aren't, but it's awefully odd that we're the only other mention in that article - it's also very well known that Marv and Dick are very high on Briggs.

I could very easily see us sending some draft picks to the Bears, and for all we know, we could very well be negotiating with the bears right now to see if it's at all possible to find some middle ground on compensation for the bears for Briggs - if we find that middle ground, I'm sure we'll have permission from the bears to talk to Briggs to get him a multi-year deal that he wants, and that we think is fair to us as well - we'd have to do it this way to avoid being accused of tampering.

If Briggs is gonna be traded, it's gonna be during the draft now because most of the big name FAs are off the market - or at least the more highly desired ones.
                              www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

Working...
                              X