PDA

View Full Version : Nick Harper signed with Tennessee

Mr. Miyagi
03-13-2007, 09:35 PM
No Harper for us.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070313/SPORTS01/70313070/1027

dolphan117
03-13-2007, 09:38 PM
As a dolphins fan this gives me a sign of relief, IMO he would have been a good fit for you guys. I wonder what kind of money money he signed for?

Mr. Miyagi
03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Well looks like Marv is going with the youth movement. Hope Youboty is as good as they think he is. :pray:

streetkings01
03-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Didn't seem like we were interested at all to me! The CB competition this year will be much like the QB competition last year and I have a feeling Youboty will be playing the part of Losman...if you know what I mean? Marv and Jauron will have a phony CB competition between Youboty, Thomas, and Greer, but it will be used to boost Youbotys confidence! If Youboty plays decent during training camp he will be starting opposite McGee this season.

ublinkwescore
03-13-2007, 10:41 PM
maybe we could get pacman now. /sarcasm

:couch:

:brace:

:ontome:

Saratoga Slim
03-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Youboty it is. I don't see anyone left in FA that would be much of an upgrade.

Talk0fNewYork
03-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Mcgee
Thomas
Youboty
Greer

Carlton Bailey
03-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Mcgee
Thomas
Youboty
Greer

I can live w/ that. CBs are overrated.

Talk0fNewYork
03-14-2007, 08:44 AM
I can live w/ that. CBs are overrated.Thank You, we got 2 safeties, now we should work on front 7

OpIv37
03-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Mcgee
Thomas
Youboty
Greer

http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/media/waring-toaster-800.jpg

This team has yet to learn it's lesson about replacing starters with our back-ups or other teams' back ups. Don't get me wrong- I think we can get by without Clements, but I assumed that meant signing someone like Harper or Hood. Right now, this team has a hell of a lot riding on a completely unproven player in Youboty.

streetkings01
03-14-2007, 09:04 AM

This team has yet to learn it's lesson about replacing starters with our back-ups or other teams' back ups. Don't get me wrong- I think we can get by without Clements, but I assumed that meant signing someone like Harper or Hood. Right now, this team has a hell of a lot riding on a completely unproven player in Youboty.He was a backup for the Eagles!

OpIv37
03-14-2007, 09:28 AM
He was a backup for the Eagles!

fair enough.

But at this point he's still more proven than Youboty.

Once again, we lost a player and didn't replace him.

Jan Reimers
03-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Well, there goes the season. And if we sign Chris Brown, we're dead in the water for at least three.

My gosh, I'm going back inside to avoid that nasty, plunging sky.

L.A. Playa
03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
whats funny is that Harper was nothing that special on a Colts defense that really sucked last year, and saying Youbooty is unproven and some people wanting to draft a rookie is hilarious

Though Youbooty didnt play much at all last year at least he studied, practiced and learned alot about the pro game, he is better suited to step in as a starter than any rookie CB in this draft and the other CB's available in FA where not a significant upgrade over him especially for what they would have probably demanded in salary

OpIv37
03-14-2007, 09:49 AM
whats funny is that Harper was nothing that special on a Colts defense that really sucked last year, and saying Youbooty is unproven and some people wanting to draft a rookie is hilarious

Though Youbooty didnt play much at all last year at least he studied, practiced and learned alot about the pro game, he is better suited to step in as a starter than any rookie CB in this draft and the other CB's available in FA where not a significant upgrade over him especially for what they would have probably demanded in salary

I agree about the rookies- Youboty is a better option than any CB we might draft this year.

I disagree about the FA's. Harper didn't get big money and played in a very similar defensive system. At this point, he would have made the team better because Youboty is a huge question mark. Like all draft picks, he could turn out to be great and he could turn out to be a bust- we simply don't know until he actually gets on the field. And I think the wiser choice would have been to sign someone like Harper to a cap-friendly, backloaded deal so if Youboty sucks, we have someone with experience and if Youboty's good, we can cut the vet with minimal cap implications.

Instead, we bet the proverbial farm on an unknown player in Youboty. If the rest of our D was solid, it might not be so bad, but we're still short at least one LB and still have the same crappy DL that couldn't generate pressure last year. So this organization has a lot riding on Ashton Youboty.

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 09:56 AM

This team has yet to learn it's lesson about replacing starters with our back-ups or other teams' back ups. Don't get me wrong- I think we can get by without Clements, but I assumed that meant signing someone like Harper or Hood. Right now, this team has a hell of a lot riding on a completely unproven player in Youboty.

NOt only do I agree with what you said 100% about our secondary-- your imagery is spot on. That toaster about covers the secondary.

meanwhile, we resign Kelsay, pretty much ensuring our front four seven will again look just like this..
http://www.alanskitchen.com/Ingredients/Images/Swiss_Cheese.jpg

OpIv37
03-14-2007, 10:00 AM
NOt only do I agree with what you said 100% about our secondary-- your imagery is spot on. That toaster about covers the secondary.

meanwhile, we resign Kelsay, pretty much ensuring our front four seven will again look just like this..
http://www.alanskitchen.com/Ingredients/Images/Swiss_Cheese.jpg

the DL concerns me not just because of Kelsay, but because nothing has been done about it at all. The FO's strategy for fixing the 27th ranked run D so far has been "Let's hope McCargo is healthy and good".

But, don't criticize Marv. He obviously knows what he's doing :rolleyes:

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
To be perfectly honest, I dont blame Marv for the defense right now. I think he actually does know what he's doing.

I blame it on Ralph Wilson. His purse is tied tight. Everyone (including me) got excited with the Dockery/Walker signings and thought he was going to spend the cash to get more instant upgrades. Unfortunately, we blew our wad. I'd bet my life there are 2 guys for the front seven Marv would tie today if Wilson would spend the money. THe bottom line is they said they were goin cash to cap, and it's appearing that's the way its going to be.

we have no choice but to hope McCargo turns into a good player, and to hope that whoever we draft can come in and contribute immediately. Otherwise, this defense will be the same or worse as last year.

Im tired of using draft picks soley for the purpose of replacing quality vets. Lee Evans needs a real partner at WR and its not even an option because we won't spend any money on our defense.