X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • camelcowboy
    • Mar 2005

Hey draft guys

Cato June was a ex safety- Cover 2 defenses need fast linebackers that can cover. For you guys that focus on college football, any of top safeties canidates to be moved to OLB. I know Rouse from Virginia Tech is a tweenter, how about Landry, or Nelson. who in this draft could be the next Thomas Davis?

• bflojohn
    • Aug 2005

Re: Hey draft guys

By just the way he's built (combine look), I'd say that LaRon Landry could play OLB/ ILB at the Pro level. Rouse, IMO, is a beast and MUCH more athletic than given creadit for.... he could also be projected there in my mind. If Coy Wire can make the successful jump back and forth in the National Football League, then these two could, without a doubt!!

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by bflojohn
      By just the way he's built (combine look), I'd say that LaRon Landry could play OLB/ ILB at the Pro level. Rouse, IMO, is a beast and MUCH more athletic than given creadit for.... he could also be projected there in my mind. If Coy Wire can make the successful jump back and forth in the National Football League, then these two could, without a doubt!!
      I'd believe this of Rouse more than Landry. Landry would have to gain quite a bit to be effective weightwise, and that could affect his speed and quickness. Rouse is more a tweener, but Landry looks to be a solid DB and seems catered for that position.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
        !?!?!?!?!?
        • Mar 2006

Landry could probably play any position on defense except DT if he had to

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Aug 2004

If you draft a safety to play LB in the T2 defense, it will take at least half a season for him to make the adjustment (and perhaps bulk up a little) to the new position--June took a whole season as I recall. Most NFL teams don't want to waste a high draft pick on a player that is going to take that long to learn a new position and I seriously doubt that the Bills would either. I think the guys that have been mentioned already are going to end up being drafted by teams looking for a safety fairly early on--too early for a team to take a risk on drafting to have the guy change positions (Landry may be off the board before the Bills even pick at # 12).

However, there is one guy, safety, that I saw a fair amount of over the last two seasons that is likely to be available in the late rounds or even as a UDFA who has even been talked about as an ideal candidate to make such a position switch: Reggie Herring of Auburn. Herring is a step too slow to make it as a safety at the NFL level, but he was a good tackler, a vicious hitter and a key player on a very good Auburn defense. I liked what I saw of him a lot in college and could see where he has the potential to make a pretty good T2 OLB. If he's there in the 7th Round and the Bills have already picked up a FB, I would not mind seeing them take him with the "throwaway" pick that they got from Baltimore to develop for a year as an OLB. And, if the guys announcing SEC games on CBS this year were talking about Herring having the potential to make the switch to OLB in a T2 defense on the NFL level, I think that it is very likely that there are some pro scouts out there who have been thinking and talking about the same thing.
          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
          X