• Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Brown- BIlls to use RB by committe approach in '07

Bills | Team likely to use committee approach in backfield
    Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:08:39 -0800
    Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills are likely to have a committee backfield for the 2007 season. "We think it's in everybody's best interest, Anthony Thomas included, that we do have more than one back that carries the load," said head coach Dick Jauron. "If you do that and you have depth, you can rotate them, you can keep them fresh (and) they don't get as beat up." "You can go with a guy that is a little bit hotter on a given day and sometimes it's a different guy. There's no reason why it shouldn't work that way, because every day is not your best day."
    ===========================================

Translation.. NO Marshawn Lynch, and the earliest we'll take a RB is in round three.

result- yet another position of mediocrity

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Re: Brown- BIlls to use RB by committe approach in '07

That works great in theory, but fact of the matter is that if you have a guy that understands the offense better then then another you're going to run him more often.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      Bills | Team likely to use committee approach in backfield
      Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:08:39 -0800
      Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills are likely to have a committee backfield for the 2007 season. "We think it's in everybody's best interest, Anthony Thomas included, that we do have more than one back that carries the load," said head coach Dick Jauron. "If you do that and you have depth, you can rotate them, you can keep them fresh (and) they don't get as beat up." "You can go with a guy that is a little bit hotter on a given day and sometimes it's a different guy. There's no reason why it shouldn't work that way, because every day is not your best day."
      ===========================================

Translation.. NO Marshawn Lynch, and the earliest we'll take a RB is in round three.

I'm not saying that Lynch is coming to Buffalo, but the Bills have tried misleading competitors and the media in the past. They don't like to show their hand come draft time. I wouldn't buy too much into what is being said from here on out.

Comment

• McBFLO
        • Mar 2003

Oh great! If I knew this was their plan I would've said NO on the Willis trade! A-Train is NOT starting RB material!
        Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• McBFLO
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by RedEyE
          I'm not saying that Lynch is coming to Buffalo, but the Bills have tried misleading competitors and the media in the past. They don't like to show their hand come draft time. I wouldn't buy too much into what is being said from here on out.
          Good point. I'll try to keep that in mind. Smokescreens are definitely abundant at this time of year.
          Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• Captain gameboy
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
            That works great in theory, but fact of the matter is that if you have a guy that understands the offense better then then another you're going to run him more often.
            ...and use him as a receiver.

What is so darned hard about finding a Thurman type guy to bring in here?
            I'll take 80% of Thurman.

It seems to me to be the easiest position to evaluate.

Get it done.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Lynch is a very talented receiver, probably the best in the entire draft out of the RBs..

If they dont draft this guy that's just straight up BS..

the defense is going to be swiss cheese again in 2006 no matter who they draft at #12..

But a RB who can actually make a difference in a game makes the entire offense a dangerous unit.

Or are we supposed to run A-Train 22 times per game at 3.2 yards a pop and throw into the triple coverage Evans will now command everytime we pass, because the rest of our WR unit gets open about 23% of the time.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                • Jul 2005

First of all, he didn't say that. He may very well have meant that if we draft a first round RB we'll nonetheless platoon him with Thomas. The Colts, Patriots, Falcons, Panthers and Jags all committeed their backfields with first round rookie RBs last year.

Second of all, if we don't draft Marshawn Lynch we're gauranteed to be mediocre at RB? C'mon dude. There are guys in the second or third that, together with Thomas and perhaps another vet, could give us plenty of production.

Even if we do end up getting mediocre production from the RB spot (like last year), NOT drafting Lynch will allow us to take Willis, Okoye, or someone else who may offer above-average production at another position. Fact is we have several priority areas that need addressing. IF you're right, I nonetheless can't say I fault Jauron for determining that they need to use the 1st rounder to, say, strengthen the run defense. I just don't agree that our defense is absolutely destined to be terrible this year.
                Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• raphael120
                  Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                  • Oct 2005

I can definitly see something like last year, tons of talent, and we pick some other position, then trade up back into the first round to draft some shmo.

another one of those years watching the draft with many "who the **** is that guy?" responses with our picks

Comment

• raphael120
                    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                    • Oct 2005

that and the saints draft reggie bush and it was still a dual back system...so we could still potentially get Lynch

Comment

• HAMMER
                      I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                      • Jul 2003

Lynch is a very talented receiver, probably the best in the entire draft out of the RBs..

If they dont draft this guy that's just straight up BS..

the defense is going to be swiss cheese again in 2006 no matter who they draft at #12..

But a RB who can actually make a difference in a game makes the entire offense a dangerous unit.

Or are we supposed to run A-Train 22 times per game at 3.2 yards a pop and throw into the triple coverage Evans will now command everytime we pass, because the rest of our WR unit gets open about 23% of the time.
                      Or you could take a first round LB or DT and solidify your defense up the middle for the future. We are not going to the SB this year whether we draft the "difference maker" or not. So let's build a team like you are supposed to, on the lines and in the middle of the field on defense. I thought you knew football?

Comment

• Don't Panic
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Dec 2005

Here's an extended link:

"In 1999 it was Smith (614) and Jonathan Linton (695) when the Bills compiled an 11-5 record and went to the playoffs.
                        The New York Jets made a committee backfield work for them as they used four different backs last season en route to a 10-6 campaign and a Wild Card playoff berth."

I don't know... they may go the approach of RB by committee. Don't be surpirsed if we bring Brown in on a 1 year deal and go Brown/A-Train/Shaud this year. The two examples above showed that a team can get in the playoffs without a stellar running game. Maybe if Leonard is there in the 3rd they look to him, but I think OBD is ready to pass on Lynch at #12. In fact, if they stay at #12, I'd be really surprised if its not DT or LB at this point. They're thinking long-term boys and girls, not quick fix.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

I never said I had a problem with a RB by committe approach... all FOUR of the championship game teams last year used it..

I have a problem with Anthony ****ing Thomas being the featured back in that scenario...He is a BACKUP RUNNING BACK- who should be getting 7-10 carries per game

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

OK, Pat who would you pick:

Okoye, Lynch or Willis?
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by HAMMER
                              Or you could take a first round LB or DT and solidify your defense up the middle for the future. We are not going to the SB this year whether we draft the "difference maker" or not. So let's build a team like you are supposed to, on the lines and in the middle of the field on defense. I thought you knew football?
                              I didnt say we shouldnt address the defense..

I expect Okoye and Branch to be gone so who the hell are you going to take at 12.. Justin Harrell is a 2nd rounder......... And from what I hear, McCargo is supposed to be bigger and stronger.. What the hell kind of GM is Marv if our star FA signing last year was a DT AND we traded up in the draft for another DT in the first round.. AND the best of the three in 2006 was our fifth rounder.. Now we have to burn ANOTHER first rounder at DT ONE year later????

As for LB, I am a HUGE fan of FOUR LB's besides Patrick Willis, that at least two of the four will definitely be there in round two: JOn Beason, Rufus Alexander, Brandon Siler and Harris. They would ALL be good fits in this defense, epescially Alexander and Beason.. Having Crowell gives you the luxury of going OLB or MLB; whichever is better as Crowell can play either spot.

YOu guys make it sound like because we signed a LG and we have one star WR that ANYONE can make this offense good.. Well, that's not the case.. Teams are going to give Evans CRAZY attention; and you are fooling yourself if you think A Train, Robert Royal and Peerless Price will do anything to make them back off.

Lynch and A-Train is a more talented Maroney/Dillon combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X