PDA

View Full Version : Brown- BIlls to use RB by committe approach in '07

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Bills | Team likely to use committee approach in backfield
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:08:39 -0800
Chris Brown, of <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/124">BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl) are likely to have a committee backfield for the 2007 season. "We think it's in everybody's best interest, Anthony Thomas (http://www.kffl.com/player/330/nfl) included, that we do have more than one back that carries the load," said head coach Dick Jauron (http://www.kffl.com/player/1960/nfl). "If you do that and you have depth, you can rotate them, you can keep them fresh (and) they don't get as beat up." "You can go with a guy that is a little bit hotter on a given day and sometimes it's a different guy. There's no reason why it shouldn't work that way, because every day is not your best day."
===========================================

Translation.. NO Marshawn Lynch, and the earliest we'll take a RB is in round three.

result- yet another position of mediocrity

RedEyE
03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
That works great in theory, but fact of the matter is that if you have a guy that understands the offense better then then another you're going to run him more often.

RedEyE
03-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Chris Brown, of <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/124">BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl) are likely to have a committee backfield for the 2007 season. "We think it's in everybody's best interest, Anthony Thomas (http://www.kffl.com/player/330/nfl) included, that we do have more than one back that carries the load," said head coach Dick Jauron (http://www.kffl.com/player/1960/nfl). "If you do that and you have depth, you can rotate them, you can keep them fresh (and) they don't get as beat up." "You can go with a guy that is a little bit hotter on a given day and sometimes it's a different guy. There's no reason why it shouldn't work that way, because every day is not your best day."

Translation.. NO Marshawn Lynch, and the earliest we'll take a RB is in round three.

I'm not saying that Lynch is coming to Buffalo, but the Bills have tried misleading competitors and the media in the past. They don't like to show their hand come draft time. I wouldn't buy too much into what is being said from here on out.

McBFLO
03-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh great! If I knew this was their plan I would've said NO on the Willis trade! A-Train is NOT starting RB material!

McBFLO
03-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm not saying that Lynch is coming to Buffalo, but the Bills have tried misleading competitors and the media in the past. They don't like to show their hand come draft time. I wouldn't buy too much into what is being said from here on out.
Good point. I'll try to keep that in mind. Smokescreens are definitely abundant at this time of year.

Captain gameboy
03-14-2007, 12:23 PM
That works great in theory, but fact of the matter is that if you have a guy that understands the offense better then then another you're going to run him more often.

...and use him as a receiver.

What is so darned hard about finding a Thurman type guy to bring in here?
I'll take 80% of Thurman.

It seems to me to be the easiest position to evaluate.

Get it done.

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Lynch is a very talented receiver, probably the best in the entire draft out of the RBs..

If they dont draft this guy that's just straight up BS..

the defense is going to be swiss cheese again in 2006 no matter who they draft at #12..

But a RB who can actually make a difference in a game makes the entire offense a dangerous unit.

Or are we supposed to run A-Train 22 times per game at 3.2 yards a pop and throw into the triple coverage Evans will now command everytime we pass, because the rest of our WR unit gets open about 23% of the time.

Saratoga Slim
03-14-2007, 12:32 PM

First of all, he didn't say that. He may very well have meant that if we draft a first round RB we'll nonetheless platoon him with Thomas. The Colts, Patriots, Falcons, Panthers and Jags all committeed their backfields with first round rookie RBs last year.

Second of all, if we don't draft Marshawn Lynch we're gauranteed to be mediocre at RB? C'mon dude. There are guys in the second or third that, together with Thomas and perhaps another vet, could give us plenty of production.

Even if we do end up getting mediocre production from the RB spot (like last year), NOT drafting Lynch will allow us to take Willis, Okoye, or someone else who may offer above-average production at another position. Fact is we have several priority areas that need addressing. IF you're right, I nonetheless can't say I fault Jauron for determining that they need to use the 1st rounder to, say, strengthen the run defense. I just don't agree that our defense is absolutely destined to be terrible this year.

raphael120
03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
I can definitly see something like last year, tons of talent, and we pick some other position, then trade up back into the first round to draft some shmo.

another one of those years watching the draft with many "who the **** is that guy?" responses with our picks

raphael120
03-14-2007, 12:33 PM
that and the saints draft reggie bush and it was still a dual back system...so we could still potentially get Lynch

HAMMER
03-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Lynch is a very talented receiver, probably the best in the entire draft out of the RBs..

If they dont draft this guy that's just straight up BS..

the defense is going to be swiss cheese again in 2006 no matter who they draft at #12..

But a RB who can actually make a difference in a game makes the entire offense a dangerous unit.

Or are we supposed to run A-Train 22 times per game at 3.2 yards a pop and throw into the triple coverage Evans will now command everytime we pass, because the rest of our WR unit gets open about 23% of the time.

Or you could take a first round LB or DT and solidify your defense up the middle for the future. We are not going to the SB this year whether we draft the "difference maker" or not. So let's build a team like you are supposed to, on the lines and in the middle of the field on defense. I thought you knew football?

Don't Panic
03-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Here's an extended link:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4664

"In 1999 it was Smith (614) and Jonathan Linton (695) when the Bills compiled an 11-5 record and went to the playoffs.
The New York Jets made a committee backfield work for them as they used four different backs last season en route to a 10-6 campaign and a Wild Card playoff berth."

I don't know... they may go the approach of RB by committee. Don't be surpirsed if we bring Brown in on a 1 year deal and go Brown/A-Train/Shaud this year. The two examples above showed that a team can get in the playoffs without a stellar running game. Maybe if Leonard is there in the 3rd they look to him, but I think OBD is ready to pass on Lynch at #12. In fact, if they stay at #12, I'd be really surprised if its not DT or LB at this point. They're thinking long-term boys and girls, not quick fix.

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I never said I had a problem with a RB by committe approach... all FOUR of the championship game teams last year used it..

I have a problem with Anthony ****ing Thomas being the featured back in that scenario...He is a BACKUP RUNNING BACK- who should be getting 7-10 carries per game

Dr. Lecter
03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
OK, Pat who would you pick:

Okoye, Lynch or Willis?

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Or you could take a first round LB or DT and solidify your defense up the middle for the future. We are not going to the SB this year whether we draft the "difference maker" or not. So let's build a team like you are supposed to, on the lines and in the middle of the field on defense. I thought you knew football?
I didnt say we shouldnt address the defense..

I expect Okoye and Branch to be gone so who the hell are you going to take at 12.. Justin Harrell is a 2nd rounder......... And from what I hear, McCargo is supposed to be bigger and stronger.. What the hell kind of GM is Marv if our star FA signing last year was a DT AND we traded up in the draft for another DT in the first round.. AND the best of the three in 2006 was our fifth rounder.. Now we have to burn ANOTHER first rounder at DT ONE year later????

As for LB, I am a HUGE fan of FOUR LB's besides Patrick Willis, that at least two of the four will definitely be there in round two: JOn Beason, Rufus Alexander, Brandon Siler and Harris. They would ALL be good fits in this defense, epescially Alexander and Beason.. Having Crowell gives you the luxury of going OLB or MLB; whichever is better as Crowell can play either spot.

YOu guys make it sound like because we signed a LG and we have one star WR that ANYONE can make this offense good.. Well, that's not the case.. Teams are going to give Evans CRAZY attention; and you are fooling yourself if you think A Train, Robert Royal and Peerless Price will do anything to make them back off.

Lynch and A-Train is a more talented Maroney/Dillon combo.

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 12:47 PM
OK, Pat who would you pick:

Okoye, Lynch or Willis?
1- Okoye- he's the exception to my logic because he's simply TOO GOOD to pass on.. But I dont think he will be there.

2- Lynch

3- Willis- There are solid LB's in late round one/top half of round two.. Less of a talent gap than between Lynch and the next crop of RBs

Carlton Bailey
03-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree with Moran this time. Anthony Thomas is a serviceable backup, but by no means should he be receiving in the 15-carry per game range. However, I'm still expecting Marshawn Lynch. The Bills love throwing up smoke screens, and I have no reason to believe this isn't one.

Earthquake Enyart
03-14-2007, 12:53 PM
No way we take Lynch.

The girlfriend beating stuff seals it for sure.

Jan Reimers
03-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Chris Brown knows all. He has never been wrong.

justasportsfan
03-14-2007, 12:54 PM
didn't the sb champs run a rbc ?

Jan Reimers
03-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Why is it that we jump the Hell on everything that's written as if it's absolute gospel.

Does anyone really think Marv and Dick tell Brown and the rest of the media EVERYTHING?

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 12:56 PM
yes they did, and the leading rusher was a ROOKIE, Joseph Addai

cough cough marshawn lynch.

Carlton Bailey
03-14-2007, 12:58 PM
yes they did, and the leading rusher was a ROOKIE, Joseph Addai

cough cough marshawn lynch.

I'm a huge Addai fan. He's no ordinary back, and neither is Lynch. I hope we get him.

Jan Reimers
03-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, justa, but the doomsayers will point out that the Colts had the right committee, but our committee will suck.

justasportsfan
03-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah, justa, but the doomsayers will point out that the Colts had the right committee, but our committee will suck.
stupid system . how the hell did they win the sb with rbc?

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 01:05 PM
3 teams of the final 4 had a total RB by committe.

And here's the funny thing.

ALL three of them had a rookie first round draft pick on it

NE: Maroney and Dillon
Indy: Addai and Rhodes
NO: Bush and McCallister

Chicago also had the RBC; With Benson a first rounder from two years ago.

So does anyone wnat to give me a BETTER reason on why Lynch is a stupid draft pick?

kernowboy
03-14-2007, 01:11 PM

Round 1 .. Okoye DT
Round 2 .. Leonard at RB
Round 3 ... Anthony Gonzalez (fingers crossed)
Round 3 ... Zac DeOssie MLB

HAMMER
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I think a RB that will make an impact on the first day is likely, doesn't need to be a first round pick though. Pittman is intriguing.

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Go back and put your head in the sand.. or make your personal "dramaqueen" comments.. go make your "Im worse than ice" comments..

Do whatever you gotta do, just PLEASE stop talking football, because when you do, you continue to embarass yourself and look idiotic.

You criticize me for talking about drafting Lynch first, and the best you could come up with is "didnt the SB champs run a rbc"

yes they did.. so did Ne.. so did New Orleans.

Here's the funny thing; they ALL HAD vet RB's and the ALL had first round draft picks join that "rbc": Bush, Maroney and Addai.

So for the love of God.. Please, bring up a better point to defend taking Lynch being a bad decision;;;;;;

Regards,
Drama Queen.

Philagape
03-14-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm fine with Lynch IF we also get a LB would be capable of starting this year.

The Answer
03-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Here's the issue here some people obviously don't comprehend - The Answer has no problem with a RBC if you have players the calibur of LT/Michael Turner, Reggie Bush/Duece, etc on your depth chart.

As of today we have the A-Train who has proven he's nothing more than a backup RB at best over the course of his sporadic career, Suck Williams who had a grand total of 2 yards in 2006, and NFLE standout Fred Jackson.

In other words - We don't have right tools to build a house. What was the point of upgrading the oline if you aren't going to have at least one RB with some talent?

~The Answer

justasportsfan
03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Go back and put your head in the sand.. or make your personal "dramaqueen" comments.. go make your "Im worse than ice" comments..

Do whatever you gotta do, just PLEASE stop talking football, because when you do, you continue to embarass yourself and look idiotic.

You criticize me for talking about drafting Lynch first, and the best you could come up with is "didnt the SB champs run a rbc"

yes they did.. so did Ne.. so did New Orleans.

Here's the funny thing; they ALL HAD vet RB's and the ALL had first round draft picks join that "rbc": Bush, Maroney and Addai.

So for the love of God.. Please, bring up a better point to defend taking Lynch being a bad decision;;;;;;

Regards,
Drama Queen.

haha! What's wrong? I was just asking a question which you answered.

Embarassing myself? Look around. How many threads have you started and how many of the posters here attack your posts.?

All I know is that everytimre I reply to your posts, my rep goes up while yours seems to be going down and none of that was my negging you. :snicker:

Whatch gonna say now, you know more than everyone around here that laughs at you? OK Drama ICE. :D

BTW, where did I say that taking Lynch is a bad decidion? Have you lost your mind about the bills that you're seeing things? I'm still waiting for you to come up with a post where I was rarah about the Schobel visit. Can't come up with one huh?

Take a break from the bills Moran. Get a life. You're delusional.

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 02:07 PM
haha! What's wrong? I was just asking a question which you answered.

Embarassing myself? Look around. How many threads have you started and how many of the posters here attack your posts.?

All I know is that everytimre I reply to your posts, my rep goes up :snicker:

Whatch gonna say now, you know more than everyone around here that laughs at you? OK Drama ICE. :D
That's the difference between me and you..

I post my opinons and agree, disagree, argue, debate, whatever with anybody. 99% of my threads are related to football, not the person who wrote it.

Unlike you, I could care LESS how many "posters" attack my posts, and what my "rep" is. I was done with high school and Im not in a popularity contest.

you are a follower.. You will post or comment (rarely ever about football) whatever the majority of the crowd says.. You're a straight up cheerleader who cares more about if the color below his signature is green than taking on football topics. That's really pathetic.

Seriously, were you the neglected kid with few friends in school or something? I"m pretty sure you've figured out before now that I could care less about prissy little popularity points. There are a good 12-15 people on here I love talking football with whether I agree with what they say or not, but the rest I could care less about...

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Take a break from the bills Moran. Get a life. You're delusional.

I got a very good job.... You met my wife last year at the BZ party.

I think my life is just fine ;)

justasportsfan
03-14-2007, 02:14 PM
That's the difference between me and you..

I post my opinons and agree, disagree, argue, debate, whatever with anybody. 99% of my threads are related to football, not the person who wrote it.

Unlike you, I could care LESS how many "posters" attack my posts, and what my "rep" is. I was done with high school and Im not in a popularity contest.

you are a follower.. You will post or comment (rarely ever about football) whatever the majority of the crowd says.. You're a straight up cheerleader who cares more about if the color below his signature is green than taking on football topics. That's really pathetic.

Seriously, were you the neglected kid with few friends in school or something? I"m pretty sure you've figured out before now that I could care less about prissy little popularity points. There are a good 12-15 people on here I love talking football with whether I agree with what they say or not, but the rest I could care less about...

You're not discussing football. you're ranting about football and anyone who does not follow your doom and gloom is a cheerleader.

I don't care about what people think about me either. It's just that you say I embarass myself and yet you don't even see that YOU"RE the one making yourself look ICElike. The rep is just one way to prove it.

Don't worry, Ice didn't care what anyone thought either. Just like you!!!

Now you can continue ranting.

justasportsfan
03-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I got a very good job.... You met my wife last year at the BZ party.

I think my life is just fine ;)
And a fine lady she was. Goes to show you , God tends to balance the world by making opposites attract. You're psycho and she's sane. ;)

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 02:26 PM
hahaha

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 02:27 PM
oh and BTW.. I would be about +14,000 in "plus rep".

I had 20,000 points taken from me by the "rep mafia" when I first started here.

justasportsfan
03-14-2007, 02:31 PM

for someone who didn't care, you sure keep tabs on where your rep should be at.

Now stop bothering me. I'm watching a soap opera/ springer starring a guy named Moran. :snicker:

Saratoga Slim
03-14-2007, 02:37 PM
3 teams of the final 4 had a total RB by committe.

And here's the funny thing.

ALL three of them had a rookie first round draft pick on it

NE: Maroney and Dillon
Indy: Addai and Rhodes
NO: Bush and McCallister

Chicago also had the RBC; With Benson a first rounder from two years ago.

So does anyone wnat to give me a BETTER reason on why Lynch is a stupid draft pick?
I'm absolutely not saying Lynch would be a bad decision. I personally have some reservations about his aptitude and character, and don't want another idiot prima donna RB in here, but I fully admit that I have a limited basis for that opinion. If we draft him, great. That'll mean Marv and Co. have talked to the guy, think he's going to be a good fit in the team they're trying to build, and think that they can address their other needs later in the day.

What I'm saying is that IF Lynch's character and intelligence is a non-issue, I still take Okoye. With the same assumption about Lynch's intelligence and attitude, it'd be a toss up for me between Willis/Lynch and maybe trading down in the 1st to get extra picks if Okoye is off the board.

RedEyE
03-14-2007, 02:38 PM

There's a reason for that. In all seriousness when you first started posting here you brought useful information and a different perspective to the board. I looked forward to reading what you wrote. Then one day, as if your prescription to Prozac expired prematurely, you started on this downward spiral of gibberish and redundancy. Your thoughts, ideas, and opinions were more cerebral in the begining.

DraftBoy
03-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Can you two take this pissing match to pm?

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 02:40 PM
lol.. someone robbed me 20,000 points my first MONTH here because I wouldn't "donate" my zonebux to them.

who cares.

that was also two years ago-- when we were coming off a 9-7 and had legit playoff expecations..

As opposed to now, when 90% of this board will take a 8-8 season and be happy with it.

RedEyE
03-14-2007, 02:44 PM
lol.. someone robbed me 20,000 points my first MONTH here because I wouldn't "donate" my zonebux to them.

who cares.

that was also two years ago-- when we were coming off a 9-7 and had legit playoff expecations..

As opposed to now, when 90% of this board will take a 8-8 season and be happy with it.

You weren't the only victim. It was just a game being played in a very boring offseason....and if reputation means that much to you then try taking it down a notch. Everyone here will respond accordingly.

DraftBoy
03-14-2007, 02:45 PM

who cares.

WOAH! Ill take 8-8 but I wont be happy, and to me there is alot more to be seen than a simple record with indicate.

Then again I still enjoy your posts and Im probably one of the few who pos rep you from time to time.

But we also disagree on alot of things. I just dont see the need for all this hostility.

As for our rbc, Im fine with Atrain and Henry in the backfield for me, I think Henry could be a real steal for us, imo.

DraftBoy
03-14-2007, 02:45 PM
You weren't the only victim. It was just a game being played in a very boring offseason....and if reputation means that much to you then try taking it down a notch. Everyone here will respond accordingly.

It was a ******ed game at that, but back onto football

Saratoga Slim
03-14-2007, 02:49 PM

who cares.

I'm going to be pissed if we go 8-8.

Philagape
03-14-2007, 03:23 PM
I DEMAND at least 10 wins.

RedEyE
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
It was a ******ed game at that, but back onto football

Perhaps. What I find ******ed is half the threads posted in this forum lately. This place has gone down hill because no one here controls the regurgitating threads and their authors. Look at half the threads on the first page of this board. It's as if all the decent posters in the BZ were replaced by ubber ******ed 8th grade Dolphin fans that get off on terrorizing and abilitirating every move this team makes. That's what I find ******ed.

Philagape
03-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Perhaps. What I find ******ed is half the threads posted in this forum lately. This place has gone down hill because no one here controls the regurgitating threads and their authors. Look at half the threads on the first page of this board. It's as if all the decent posters in the BZ were replaced by ubber ******ed 8th grade Dolphin fans that get off on terrorizing and abilitirating every move this team makes. That's what I find ******ed.

Criticism of the team is fine; I just wish people didn't start three threads a day about the same thing.

RedEyE
03-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Criticism of the team is fine; I just wish people didn't start three threads a day about the same thing.

I'm all for criticism....but there is a definite difference in those that post for quality, rather than for quanity.

The Answer
03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Amazing how some people blantantly ignore the original topic to hijack this thread with their anti-patmoran agenda.

Maybe thats how some fans deal with the reality that were are deep in rebuilding mode yet again for the 7th straight year this decade.

~The Answer

TigerJ
03-14-2007, 05:00 PM
I agree with Moran this time. Anthony Thomas is a serviceable backup, but by no means should he be receiving in the 15-carry per game range. However, I'm still expecting Marshawn Lynch. The Bills love throwing up smoke screens, and I have no reason to believe this isn't one.

I'll disagree with this. I think Thomas can be productive carrying the ball 15 times per game. I also disagree with the notion that a RBC approach necessarily means the Bills are ruling out Lynch, whether you call it a smoke screen or not.

The Spaz
03-14-2007, 05:03 PM

I thought we knew this a long time ago.

SquishDaFish
03-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Where does it say we wont draft a rookie??? Maybe im not as smart as Pat or cant read into the future ala Pat?