PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about offseasons around the NFL

Saratoga Slim
03-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm generally of the opinion that we shouldn't expect too much out of free agency, and as I look around the league, I think at least a quarter of the teams didn't sign any FAs of note, more than half (including us) have made one big or reasonably big signing and then grabbed some role players or scrubs, and only a few teams have been really active in the market for the top tier FAs.

Don't believe me? Check out the list of signings: http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/afc-signings
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/nfc-signings

I anticipate the argument that this team may have more gaps to fill than say Indy, Chicago, Cincy, and some of the teams that haven't done anything in FA, and therefore should arguably be more active than those teams. But nonetheless, I've got to say that on the whole, the Bills are pretty well in step with the rest of the league in terms of the extent of their free agent activities. There are a whole lot of teams that do have holes to fill that have likewise not gone to great lengths trying to address all their weaknesses now with pricey veteran help.

We do still have some issues that probably won't get a fix through free agency. And we're probably going to have to rely on a rookie or two next year. Bottom line is that so will most of the non-elite teams. Yeah it'd be nice to fill all our weaknesses in a Madden '07 flurry of free agent signings, but that from what I can tell (and I'm no expert, just a lifetime fan), that just isn't what generally happens around the league.

My point is that I'm not all that riled up that we haven't found a veteran CB, DT or LB, because I wasn't really expecting more than we have gotten thus far: one big FA signing, one moderate FA signing (walker), new deals with some of our own UFAs, and some role players. And I should note, we're not necessarily done yet.

I'd like to see a few more big FAs in here too, but c'mon fellas, FA is more of a menu dinner than an all you can eat buffet.

patmoran2006
03-14-2007, 04:52 PM
good post

Talk0fNewYork
03-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Everything we've done this offseason has made sense......

We Lost Clements
But we upgraded our o-line for 5 mil less than we would have payed to keep him.

We Lost Fletch
The Redskins give a 32 year old a 5 year deal, let them be the idiots.

We trade Mcgahee
He would have been gone after this year, save the aggervation and get a head start.

patmoran2006
03-15-2007, 08:52 AM
The only move I dont like is resigning Kelsay instead of Fletcher.

There are some sick DE's at the top of this year's draft and lord knows we need a DE who can stop the run.

People who ***** that Fletcher makes too many tackles 7 yds down the field should learn a thing about the cover two and discover that the MLB is often responsible for deeper coverage in the middle of the field; not to mention that guards get at our LB"s every run play because they blow our extremely weak DT's off the line.

Saratoga Slim
03-15-2007, 09:18 AM

There are some sick DE's at the top of this year's draft and lord knows we need a DE who can stop the run.

People who ***** that Fletcher makes too many tackles 7 yds down the field should learn a thing about the cover two and discover that the MLB is often responsible for deeper coverage in the middle of the field; not to mention that guards get at our LB"s every run play because they blow our extremely weak DT's off the line.
Even Urlacher spends a good deal of his time in coverage making tackles well beyond the LOS. I agree that this was at least somewhat an unfair criticism of Fletcher. I think he's gone mostly because of age. They appear to be trying to rack together a nucleus of guys that will be together for 3-5 years. Their focus is perhaps on building a dynasty as opposed to a team for 2007. I don't mean to say that they're not trying to win in 2007, but I think the emphasis is more of a long term one.

casdhf
03-15-2007, 09:38 AM

Fletch can't make it to the middle of the field anymore.

I am not an expert, but it seems a cover 2 scheme needs a premier athlete at MLB to be dominant.

Bears: Urlacher - good
Colts: Who? - not good
Bills: Aging Fletcher - not good
I think the bucs had Quarles at MLB, now that he's gotten older ... the Bucs D has suffered

Does Willis' have the same ability as Urlacher did out of school? I dunno, I don't follow college ball.

User Manuel
03-15-2007, 10:06 AM
The one thing I hated about Fletcher was that he seemed to make the critical mistake at the worst posssible time.

Remember the 15 yards for kicking the ball penalties.

Consistently getting to deep on his drops.

I liked London, but didn't love his play and he seemed somewhat devisive. Plus, don't forget, The Rams chucked him, for money reasons, in his prime.

Nice player, but I really don't lament him at all.