PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it but the smart move in the 2007 draft is to...

jpdex12
03-14-2007, 07:56 PM
The move that would please most of the Bill's fans is to either grab Willis with the #12 pick, Lynch at #12 or have Peterson slide to us at #12.

While I wouldn't mind this, I think about what we need from this draft in order to not stall in another developmental year. Yes it will be a learning year for a few new starters on the team but if we pick the right players we will have production from those draft picks that see significant playing time this year so...

Why don't we trade down from #12 a few picks? Anywhere from 14-20. If we are between 16-20 that is a 300 point swing and should be enough to get a 2nd rounder from a team looking to move up. That would give us a 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds. We grab Poz if Willis and Lynch are gone and then we trade our #2 and #3 to move back into the lower half of the 1st round to pick up a WR hopefully like Meachem or Bowe. Then we grab Irons in the second and a CB or DT in the third like Mebane at DT or Josh Wilson or Hughes at CB. These would be our day one picks. We would have Crowell at ILB, Poz, SPikes and Ellison at OLB, a solid number two receiver for JP to go with Evans, and youthful depth at DT or CB. The RB pick of Irons will give us a nice change of pace back to go along with A-Train and C. Brown. We should grab C. Brown from FA.

1a-Poz
1b-Meachem
2-Irons
3-Mebane/Hughes

or trade down in the 1st without trading back into the 1st...

1-Poz OLB
2a-Gonzales WR
2b-Irons RB
3a-Mebane DT
3b-Hughes/Josh Wilson CB

This seems like more bang for our buck and I could live with either scenario.

Does anyone out there feel this is the approach to take in the draft?

Fire away!

jpdex12
03-14-2007, 08:00 PM
I'd go after another ILB in the 4th, Chris Leak in the 6th and two O-lineman with our 7th round picks.

YardRat
03-14-2007, 08:06 PM
I think there's enough talent in this draft at positions that we need to upgrade that we'd do fine without a lot of movement. I wouldn't do a deal unless we get an offer that's too good to pass up.

jpdex12
03-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I think there's enough talent in this draft at positions that we need to upgrade that we'd do fine without a lot of movement. I wouldn't do a deal unless we get an offer that's too good to pass up.

Like what? I'm curious as to what type of deal you are thinking about.

Jersey1031
03-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Move back in the 1st and pick up a late 2nd, or early 3rd...

YardRat
03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Multiple picks, not just an extra second or third, or a player thrown in.

Mitchy moo
03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Dump our first for a early second and early 3rd round pick, unless that peterson kid is available.

YardRat
03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Dump our first for a early second and early 3rd round pick, unless that peterson kid is available.

You would trade out of the first round completely?

Mitchy moo
03-14-2007, 08:25 PM

If we can get 2 extra picks on day one and early in the 2nd / 3rd rounds we'll have good odds of getting someone special. This is supposed to be a deep draft and an early second rounder is as good as a late first.

Like I said, if Peterson is there grab him.

jpdex12
03-14-2007, 09:15 PM

No way! It's true that there is talent beyond the first but why pass on a lot of good 1st round talent that can be had by trading down a few spots rather than out of the 1st completely?

Mitchy moo
03-14-2007, 10:39 PM
We'll the cost to sign players out of the first round also go down as well.

Slim
03-14-2007, 10:44 PM
We'll the cost to sign players out of the first round also go down as well.

WE NEED PLAYMAKERS. Those generall are drafted in the first 15. Willis,Lynch,Peterson,Okoye. ALL potential playmakers from day one.

SABURZFAN
03-14-2007, 11:40 PM
the smart move in the 2007 draft is to avoid Poz.

SABURZFAN
03-14-2007, 11:42 PM

didn't bill walsh do that a couple times in san fran?

Ron Burgundy
03-14-2007, 11:46 PM

+10000000

Don't Panic
03-15-2007, 04:29 AM
Why don't we trade down from #12 a few picks? Anywhere from 14-20. If we are between 16-20 that is a 300 point swing and should be enough to get a 2nd rounder from a team looking to move up. That would give us a 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds. We grab Poz if Willis and Lynch are gone and then we trade our #2 and #3 to move back into the lower half of the 1st round to pick up a WR hopefully like Meachem or Bowe. Then we grab Irons in the second and a CB or DT in the third like Mebane at DT or Josh Wilson or Hughes at CB. These would be our day one picks. We would have Crowell at ILB, Poz, SPikes and Ellison at OLB, a solid number two receiver for JP to go with Evans, and youthful depth at DT or CB. The RB pick of Irons will give us a nice change of pace back to go along with A-Train and C. Brown. We should grab C. Brown from FA.

I think this is a great idea if no one we like is there at #12. Okoye and Peterson seem to be the 2 guys that most people like but feel would be gone by the #12 pick, so if they are there, and OBD is enamored with one of them, then you just stay put. But if they are gone, I don't think that there is anyone else who won't be there a few picks later (#16-19), including Lynch and Willis. If they do get taken between #12 and wherever we trade down to, so be it... we have an extra pick to justify passing up on them. Willis and Lynch are both good options, but neither is a MUST HAVE option. Although this is the most efficient way to go, I feel like Marv doesn't like going this route. He was quoted as saying last year that he finds a player he likes and takes him when the pick comes, hence Whitner at #9. Its almost as if he considers this approach a gamble and won't do it based on that. So the two things that would need to happen is that there is no one he really likes at #12, and there is someone that a #16-19 team (or even a #20-30 team for a third) REALLY likes and is willing to trade up for. Probably unlikely but definitely an attractive option.

Jan Reimers
03-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Absolutely. He is FAR from a 1st round talent.

kernowboy
03-15-2007, 06:57 AM
I do think Okoye will be there or there abouts by the time we draft at 12 and I feel confident we'll grab him ... I would be happy with

1. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
2a Brian Leonard, RB, Rutgers
2b Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio State
4 Zac DeOssie, MLB, Brown
6 CJ Gaddis CB/FS, Clemson
7a Uche Nwaneri, OG/C, Purdue
7b Matt Herian TE, Nebraska (to replace the waste of space Everett)

Mitchy moo
03-15-2007, 07:07 AM
didn't bill walsh do that a couple times in san fran?

Yep, what did he know, lol.

SABURZFAN
03-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Yep, what did he know, lol.

Super Bowls

patmoran2006
03-15-2007, 04:22 PM
You people confuse me..

We are running a cover two..

YOu are aware that the knock on Paul Pos is that he's extremely slow right? HOw in the world does that fit into a scheme where your defense, ESPECIALLY your LB's is all about speed. ?

patmoran2006
03-15-2007, 04:24 PM
The move that would please most of the Bill's fans is to either grab Willis with the #12 pick, Lynch at #12 or have Peterson slide to us at #12.

While I wouldn't mind this, I think about what we need from this draft in order to not stall in another developmental year. Yes it will be a learning year for a few new starters on the team but if we pick the right players we will have production from those draft picks that see significant playing time this year so...

1a-Poz
1b-Meachem
2-Irons
3-Mebane/Hughes

or trade down in the 1st without trading back into the 1st...

1-Poz OLB
2a-Gonzales WR
2b-Irons RB
3a-Mebane DT
3b-Hughes/Josh Wilson CB

This seems like more bang for our buck and I could live with either scenario.

Does anyone out there feel this is the approach to take in the draft?

Fire away!

I'll give you another reason to draft Lynch; something that barely on here will ever even acknowledge let alone talk about.

How about off the field marketing/excitement? While we did improve on the OL, we lost three of our biggest players in name-recognition to the average Bills fan..Fletch, Nate and Willis.

They know that A-Train is the current starting RB. Nothing against A-Train, but what average ticket buying fan in their right mind is excited about that?

Lynch is not only a sensible pick from a football standpoint, he's also a good marketing pick off the field, and don't fool yourself into thinking that doesnt matter.

jpdex12
03-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Absolutely. He is FAR from a 1st round talent.

Maybe but I bet he goes in the 1st!

jpdex12
03-15-2007, 04:34 PM
I'll give you another reason to draft Lynch; something that barely on here will ever even acknowledge let alone talk about.

How about off the field marketing/excitement? While we did improve on the OL, we lost three of our biggest players in name-recognition to the average Bills fan..Fletch, Nate and Willis.

They know that A-Train is the current starting RB. Nothing against A-Train, but what average ticket buying fan in their right mind is excited about that?

Lynch is not only a sensible pick from a football standpoint, he's also a good marketing pick off the field, and don't fool yourself into thinking that doesnt matter.

I buy my season tix to see that team win not to zone in on watching one player on the field. Are you saying that you will go to a game to watch one lpayer play? If we trade down Poz might be the best option if Willis and Lynch are gone. That was part of my point.

patmoran2006
03-15-2007, 04:38 PM
I buy my season tix to see that team win not to zone in on watching one player on the field. Are you saying that you will go to a game to watch one lpayer play? If we trade down Poz might be the best option if Willis and Lynch are gone. That was part of my point.
for every person like me and you, there are about 70 people who will go the games because there is a buzz about a player or about the team. Its like that in Buffalo and almost anywhere else, in any sport.

you want an example, a couple of causal bills fans at the bar see the names gone, the names brought in and have already decided they're not going to games this year.. Its the way it is everywhere, and trust me there are a lot more casual fans that spend the money than the diehards.

Back when the SAbres sucked and they were lucky to sell 10,000 seats in the arena.. There were more people cheering for the star players on other teams than the Sabres themselves.

And what about the Bills drafting say marshawn Lynch makes you think that they won't win anymore than if they draft Willis or Pos? Those are all matters of opinion.

YardRat
03-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Lynch would be a good pick from a marketing standpoint.

Defense wins championships, but offense sells tickets.