PDA

View Full Version : Is Whittle this years Bowen?

X-Era
03-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Does signing Whittle preclude a day one OL draft pick?

Last year we brought in a second tier S who we thought the Bills were high on and penciled him in as the starter right away. We then drafted a SS first and foremost and Bowen never really saw the field.

I think we have more pressing needs now with open holes at CB, ILB, and RB. So the chances that we draft OL first and foremost seem slim to none. However, does that mean we dont draft anyone at all to compete with Whittle? I dont think so.

I could see us addressing our top 3 needs on day one of the draft. But then, that 4th pick is a phantom pick that could go a number of ways, DT, WR, TE, OLB to name a few. I think at that point, OG, specifically RG comes back into the mix. So who could be there in say the 3rd? I think guys that can also play C like Satele may be there. Could Ben Grubbs slip that far? Manny Ramirez?

I think its almost a sure thing that we draft another day two OL, but I could see us grab one on day one still to compete with Whittle.

Thoughts?

YardRat
03-15-2007, 06:09 AM
I'd be surprised if we went with o-line on day one. We've already got young guys in Merz, Butler, and Pennington to 'compete' with Whittle, and the other positions are more needy of upgrading.

kernowboy
03-15-2007, 06:47 AM
I could see us look at a versatile OL at the start of Day2 ... that or a CB. I would say that someone like Doug Datish enters the mix at that point especially if the team want to play Preston exclusively as a guard. In a couple of years time we'd have an interior of Dockery (if he doesn't flunk)-Datish-Preston with Merz to come in if one doesn't work out. Not too shabby

jamze132
03-15-2007, 06:49 AM
I don't see us looking at O-line until day 2 just like last year. Marv has a history of this and it has worked before.

THATHURMANATOR
03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Does signing Whittle preclude a day one OL draft pick?

Last year we brought in a second tier S who we thought the Bills were high on and penciled him in as the starter right away. We then drafted a SS first and foremost and Bowen never really saw the field.

I think we have more pressing needs now with open holes at CB, ILB, and RB. So the chances that we draft OL first and foremost seem slim to none. However, does that mean we dont draft anyone at all to compete with Whittle? I dont think so.

I could see us addressing our top 3 needs on day one of the draft. But then, that 4th pick is a phantom pick that could go a number of ways, DT, WR, TE, OLB to name a few. I think at that point, OG, specifically RG comes back into the mix. So who could be there in say the 3rd? I think guys that can also play C like Satele may be there. Could Ben Grubbs slip that far? Manny Ramirez?

I think its almost a sure thing that we draft another day two OL, but I could see us grab one on day one still to compete with Whittle.

Thoughts?
Whittle was signed to be a backup. I hope he doesnt' need to play because that would mean there were injuries.

patmoran2006
03-15-2007, 08:53 AM
I was hoping that subject didnt mean that is Whittle going to be a total useless bum like Bowen was.

BillsPride12
03-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Take it for what its worth, but I was sitting next to a Giants fan at a Sabres game recently and he was telling me that Whittle was actually a solid o-lineman and he could see him being a starter, like I said though take it for what its worth.