PDA

View Full Version : For Sunday Ticket HDers

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:13 PM
DirecTV told me that if I get Super Fan with Sunday Ticket all games are shown in HD. Can anyone confirm this?

Earthquake Enyart
03-15-2007, 02:14 PM
You get all the games that are broadcast in HD. CBS does not broadcast all their games in HD. :mad:

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:16 PM
You get all the games that are broadcast in HD. CBS does not broadcast all their games in HD. :mad:
That's freaking stupid. Does Fox?

The Spaz
03-15-2007, 02:17 PM
As far as I know not all games broadcast in HD.

jamze132
03-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Neither Fox nor CBS showsall their games in HD yet, but eventually they will.

Earthquake Enyart
Fox does. Even the freaking NFL Network broadcasts its games in HD.

Earthquake Enyart
All Fox's games are in HD.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:20 PM
It would figure that the Bills games aren't in HD. I went out and blew a nut on a new TV to watch the Bills in HD for nothing.

OpIv37
03-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Fox broadcasts most of their games in HD- last year they had six a week.

CBS only does 3 a week. I think they had more at the beginning of the season, but once college b-ball started, their HD offerings absolutely sucked.

I think the last Bills HD game was early November- the last 7 or so weren't in HD, which really pissed me off.

OpIv37
03-15-2007, 02:23 PM
All Fox's games are in HD.

last year, they weren't. They had 6 HD games a week- most of the time that was enough for all of them. But sometimes they had a full slate of games and had 1 or 2 that weren't HD.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Fox broadcasts most of their games in HD- last year they had six a week.

CBS only does 3 a week. I think they had more at the beginning of the season, but once college b-ball started, their HD offerings absolutely sucked.

I think the last Bills HD game was early November- the last 7 or so weren't in HD, which really pissed me off.
What a freaking crock. If you purchase Sunday Ticket you should have EVERYTHING in HD.

OpIv37
03-15-2007, 02:24 PM
What a freaking crock. If you purchase Sunday Ticket you should have EVERYTHING in HD.

I agree, but it's not DirecTV's fault- they can't transmit the HD signal if Fox and CBS don't broadcast in it. The NFL really needs to get CBS on the ball because they were just awful last year with their HD offerings.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree, but it's not DirecTV's fault- they can't transmit the HD signal if Fox and CBS don't broadcast in it. The NFL really needs to get CBS on the ball because they were just awful last year with their HD offerings.
You would think that all sports (especially the financial freak that is the NFL) would be in HD by now.

Earthquake Enyart
The NFL needs to get on CBS' ass.

gr8slayer
It's odd, now that I have HD everything else just looks ugly.

RockStar36
03-15-2007, 02:30 PM

That's because you've turned into an HD snob.

My friend and parents are the same way. Once you start watching in HD nothing else is good enough.

My friend told me at one point that he won't even watch hockey unless it's in HD.

The Spaz

Welcome to HD!:dance:

PECKERWOOD
Sunday Ticket was a complete waste for me last season.. Half the time I had to goto sports bars to watch the game. I'm sick of black out radius' and all the technical jargon. You should be able to watch whatever game you want no matter whether or not it is televised locally.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:31 PM
That's because you've turned into an HD snob.

My friend and parents are the same way. Once you start watching in HD nothing else is good enough.

My friend told me at one point that he won't even watch hockey unless it's in HD.
I have never, seriously NEVER watched a basketball game in my life (college or NBA). But since I got HD yesterday I have watched three basketball games.

OpIv37
03-15-2007, 02:31 PM

yeah I'm becoming an HD snob myself.

For some shows it doesn't really matter- it just looks better. For sports and movies, it makes a huge difference. I particularly like it for sports because you can see so much more of the field/ice/court.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:33 PM

For some shows it doesn't really matter- it just looks better. For sports and movies, it makes a huge difference. I particularly like it for sports because you can see so much more of the field/ice/court.
So is there an HD camera and a regular camera for these sports?

Earthquake Enyart
03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Yes.

OpIv37
03-15-2007, 02:36 PM

yeah- I think the way it works is that the HD cameras can also capture/broadcast standard def, but obviously not vice versa.

Each football broadcast uses about 6 cameras, so if an HD crew isn't assigned to the game, we're screwed.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Can you see more of the field with HD or is it the same view just higher def?

The Spaz
03-15-2007, 02:39 PM

Same but higher def way higher def.

OpIv37
03-15-2007, 02:41 PM

you actually see more of the field- the way high def works is that it crams a lot more pixels in the same amount of space. So when they show wide angle shots, you do see more of the field. It's great at the LOS because you can usually see the whole offensive and defensive formation, and it's clear enough that you can see jersey numbers and tell who's in the game.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:41 PM
you actually see more of the field- the way high def works is that it crams a lot more pixels in the same amount of space. So when they show wide angle shots, you do see more of the field. It's great at the LOS because you can usually see the whole offensive and defensive formation, and it's clear enough that you can see jersey numbers and tell who's in the game.
Can you see the secondary?

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:43 PM
BTW, the guy who installed my HD yesterday said that DirecTV will be adding over 150 more HD channels by the end of the year.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Does it ever seem like it gets a bit fuzzy at some points in the game?

Earthquake Enyart
03-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Does it ever seem like it gets a bit fuzzy at some points in the game?
For some events, sometimes they'll slip in a non-HD camera. You can spot it right away.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:55 PM
For some events, sometimes they'll slip in a non-HD camera. You can spot it right away.
Ok, I was hoping it wasn't my TV or something. Thanks for the help.

BAM
03-15-2007, 02:58 PM
I bought a new 50" HDTV last year in the beginning of December and didn't get to see ONE Bills game in HD. Got to see the last game on it, but wasn't HD.

Once you go HD, you never go back!

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Anyone have any HD games on DVD?

TacklingDummy
03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Directv offers HD CBS, FOX, NBC, and ABC on my box. I called them up and asked them why I don't get those HD channels. They told me my local provider doesn't carry them so I don't get them.

Complete BS.

I am very disappointed with my Directv. From not getting HD channels, to having my house look like a xmas present because they ran the wires along the middle of the outside of the house, to the satellite dish being screwed into the siding on the house and almost ripping it off, to losing connection when the weather turns bad, to spending 6 hours in the rain helping the guy hook it up.......Once my contract is up, I am canceling it.

:monkeyp: Directv

Earthquake Enyart
03-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Directv offers HD CBS, FOX, NBC, and ABC on my box. I called them up and asked them why I don't get those HD channels. They told me my local provider doesn't carry them so I don't get them.

Complete BS.
Hook an antenna up and get them for free.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 03:01 PM

Complete BS.
That sucks man. Where do you live?

TacklingDummy
03-15-2007, 03:12 PM
I am very disappointed with my Directv. From not getting HD channels, to having my house look like a xmas present because they ran the wires along the middle of the outside of the house, to the satellite dish being screwed into the siding on the house and almost ripping it off, to losing connection when the weather turns bad, to spending 6 hours in the rain helping the guy hook it up.......Once my contract is up, I am canceling it.

Utica/Rome area

Historian
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
DirecTV told me that if I get Super Fan with Sunday Ticket all games are shown in HD. Can anyone confirm this?

For the extra money they want, it oughta include pizza and hookers...

Earthquake Enyart
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
If all the Bills games were in HD, I would get it.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Utica/Rome area
Other than the connections running down the middle of our house I can't say I have had any of those problems.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 03:16 PM
True but I'd pay it if it meant Bills games in HD.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 03:17 PM
True but I'd pay it if it meant all Bills games in HD.

TacklingDummy
03-15-2007, 03:22 PM
True but I'd pay it if it meant Bills games in HD.
Does the blackout rule still apply with the Sunday Ticket?

That would be the only reason I would get the Sunday Ticket. Blackouts suck.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 03:24 PM

That would be the only reason I would get the Suday Ticket. Blackouts suck.
Good question. Being so far away from NY the rules don't apply here so I couldn't answer that.

OpIv37
03-15-2007, 03:33 PM

That would be the only reason I would get the Sunday Ticket. Blackouts suck.

if your DirecTV account zip code is within the blacked out area, you still won't get the game. The only way around it is to set up your account at a different address, or get a card from someone who lives outside the blackout area and put it in your DirecTV receiver.

BAM
03-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Anyone have any HD games on DVD?

Just so you know (you probably do already) you have to get a special DVD player to play HD DVD's.

SquishDaFish
03-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Dummy while you were outside watching install you shouldnt of let the guy hook it up that way. Thats your own fault. And not to mention I would be calling up pissed off.

And OP you cant take another card and put it into your box. The cards are married to their certain reciever.

X-Era
03-15-2007, 04:27 PM

complete crap, nice try DTV. I LOVE my DTV, but this was the first rip off they gave me. Paying 100.00 for Superfan and I got one maybe 2 Bills games in HD. If your a Jets fan you will watch every single game in HD, but not if your a Bills fan.

SquishDaFish
03-15-2007, 04:35 PM
JPera you could of got it for less then that. Call retention and chat with them about it. How your not sure if you want it or can afford it. And that you wont get all your games in HD and youll get it free or half off.

gr8slayer
03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Just so you know (you probably do already) you have to get a special DVD player to play HD DVD's.
Which we do, just wish I could find a Bills game on HD-DVD since I just got HD and didn't have it during the year.

OpIv37
03-15-2007, 06:23 PM
JPera you could of got it for less then that. Call retention and chat with them about it. How your not sure if you want it or can afford it. And that you wont get all your games in HD and youll get it free or half off.

good advice- I'll definitely try that when the season gets closer.

TacklingDummy
03-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Dummy while you were outside watching install you shouldnt of let the guy hook it up that way. Thats your own fault. And not to mention I would be calling up pissed off.

I didn't feel like *****ing after standing in the rain for 5 hours holding a flashlight.

The next Directv guy who came and moved the original satellite dish that was screwed into the siding said the first guy did a very poor job and can't believe the way he hooked it up.

superbills
03-15-2007, 10:41 PM

Well, it also has to do with the resolution and compression that the broadcast is shown in as well.

When they slip in a standard definition camera, your screen should crop if you have it set to to so at standard resolution, or your picture will get short and stout if you have it set to stretch. Pixelization and blur occurs because the fast motion is too quick for the decoders to process perfectly, and also because the HD feed may be compressed which can also produce artifacts.

Over the air HD is the purest form you can get and this is even sometimes compressed by the local network that broadcasts the feed because they want to rob the bandwidth from the main station (i.e. NBC channel 2.1) and use if for other sub channels (i.e. 2.2 which is a digital weather channel here). This "bit-starving" will be most readily apparent in sports and action scenes due to the fast-pased nature of the frames.

DirecTV's encoding process (MPEG-2) is less-than-perfect and is in fact not even the gold standard for compressed HD. When they roll out their new channels later this year (starting in June likely and don't expect to see all 150 this year, more like 75-100) they will be compressing them using MPEG-4 which is a much more efficient compression standard which also results in better HD quality.

So, to make a long story short, every HD TV will experience this and is actually more noticable on higher-end models due to their clarity and ability to show minute details.

gr8slayer
03-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, it also has to do with the resolution and compression that the broadcast is shown in as well.

When they slip in a standard definition camera, your screen should crop if you have it set to to so at standard resolution, or your picture will get short and stout if you have it set to stretch. Pixelization and blur occurs because the fast motion is too quick for the decoders to process perfectly, and also because the HD feed may be compressed which can also produce artifacts.

Over the air HD is the purest form you can get and this is even sometimes compressed by the local network that broadcasts the feed because they want to rob the bandwidth from the main station (i.e. NBC channel 2.1) and use if for other sub channels (i.e. 2.2 which is a digital weather channel here). This "bit-starving" will be most readily apparent in sports and action scenes due to the fast-pased nature of the frames.

DirecTV's encoding process (MPEG-2) is less-than-perfect and is in fact not even the gold standard for compressed HD. When they roll out their new channels later this year (starting in June likely and don't expect to see all 150 this year, more like 75-100) they will be compressing them using MPEG-4 which is a much more efficient compression standard which also results in better HD quality.

So, to make a long story short, every HD TV will experience this and is actually more noticable on higher-end models due to their clarity and ability to show minute details.
Good advice, thank you.

LtFinFan66
03-16-2007, 12:58 AM

For some shows it doesn't really matter- it just looks better. For sports and movies, it makes a huge difference. I particularly like it for sports because you can see so much more of the field/ice/court.Becoming:scratch:

As far as I can see, you are the original

LtFinFan66
03-16-2007, 12:59 AM
I plan on getting an HD TV and HD DVR when I return from Iraq. Then I can see what all the hub-bub is about

gr8slayer
03-16-2007, 01:35 AM
I plan on getting an HD TV and HD DVR when I return from Iraq. Then I can see what all the hub-bub is about
Will you still be able to get online from Iraq :(

LtFinFan66
03-16-2007, 01:38 AM
Should be able too. How often I am not sure though

gr8slayer
03-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Should be able too. How often I am not sure though
Damn. How long will you be there?

LtFinFan66
03-16-2007, 01:46 AM
4 months

gr8slayer
03-16-2007, 01:47 AM
4 months
:cry: No more of the best :posrep: around?

LtFinFan66
03-16-2007, 01:48 AM
not sure how my access will be. If I can, I will

gr8slayer
03-16-2007, 01:49 AM
How many times have you been now?

LtFinFan66
03-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Will be the 1st time there.

djjimkelly
03-16-2007, 03:11 AM
theres like 4 cbs games and all but 1 sometimes is HD on fox last year i think vikes werent HD like times on fox ive had super fan for last 2 years CBS needs to stop being cheap and DO EVERY GAME IN HD