• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schobel94
    The Sack Master
    • Jan 2003

Coles to leave Jets????

The New York Post reports that Jets pass-catcher Laveranues Coles is miffed at the treatment he's receiving from the team.

"I spoke to an owner last night," Coles said, "and he seems like he's very adamant about being able to make a move the Jets wouldn't match, and would I be willing to consider leaving the Jets?"

So what did Coles say in response?

"If it means me getting my money, that's what I have to do."

Coles wouldn't name the owner. Whoever it is, the team would be required to cough up a first-round draft pick, if the Jets choose not to match any offer that the restricted free agent accepts.

The Jets have offered Coles a $6 million signing bonus on a seven-year deal, which according to Coles averages "a little bit over" $3 million per year. He doesn't think that's enough.

"I was looking for at least $10 [million]-plus," Coles told the Post.

Hmmmm... Wahington maybe??? That would be funny, Atlanta is Buffalo South, and Washington is New York South!!
    Beware the sack master!
  • Brian H
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Nov 2002

Man I just posted this damn you.

ProFootballCentral.com

Comment

• Jeff1220
      H to the 12:20
      • Jul 2002

Maybe Baltimore. They badly need a WR (among other things) and have plenty of cap room to fit Coles. They had a trip scheduled for Boston before he cancelled and signed the deal in SD.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

I hope he does leave the Jets. Just one less weapon for Pennington. Of course there is no way in h-e-l-l that we'll afford him.

Sure hope Dyson doesn't sign with Carolina and come over to us though.

Comment

• Schobel94
          The Sack Master
          • Jan 2003

If he leaves the Jets their offense will be rendered useless. Chrebet is a decent reciever, nothing special, and Moss is unproven at best as a reciever, they'd have nothing. I hope he does leave.
          Beware the sack master!

Comment

• Schobel94
            The Sack Master
            • Jan 2003

To add on this apparently the Jets are giving Coles a take it or leave it 3 million dollar contract with a 6 million dollar signing bonus. Coles feels insulted by this and wants what Price is getting. It looks likely that Coles will leave, partly thanks to the Price deal. Even after he's gone his greed still helps us.
            Beware the sack master!

Comment

• Fairway To Green
              • Jul 2002

Another "TEAM" player I see.

Comment

• Schobel94
                The Sack Master
                • Jan 2003

Here's a little bit more Coles stuff for you guys to chew on. Looks like he aint gonna be a Jet, and my sources tell me it might be the Jaguars gving him a lucrative contract.

March 9, 2003 -- Laveranues Coles, Chad Pennington's go-to guy, has been insulted by the Jets and is ready to entertain free agent offers that would land him in greener pastures, The Post has learned.
                "I spoke to an owner last night," Coles said in an exclusive interview, "and he seems like he's very adamant about being able to make a move the Jets wouldn't match, and would I be willing to consider leaving the Jets?

"If it means me getting my money, that's what I have to do."

Coles would not divulge the owner's identity. But he isn't bluffing.

It has now come down to this: Pay him or lose him.

"We didn't get nowhere with negotiations," Coles said. "They told me to take it or leave it. It was a slap in the face."

The Jets offered Coles a $6 million signing bonus and a seven-year deal he felt was a lowball offer.

"I was looking for at least $10 [million]-plus," Coles said, "considering the deals I [now] see people getting around me, like Peerless Price."

The Bills' trade of Price to the Falcons for a first-round draft pick, and the healthy contract Price signed Friday (approximately a $10 million signing bonus and seven years for between $35 million and $40 million) opened Coles' eyes even wider.

"He's getting six [mil] a year," Coles said. "I wanted to average four-and-a-half. [The Jets] were nowhere near that."

What did the Jets offer? "A little bit over three," Coles said. "I told them no. So they threatened to tender me. I was like, 'Tender me.' "

They tendered Coles, a restricted free agent, a one-year, $1.3 million offer. Jets GM Terry Bradway decided against a $1.8 million offer that would have brought first- and third-round picks back as compensation should the club decide not to match. At the time, Bradway said, "Laveranues has made a decision to bet on himself."

The sides have not been in communication since.

How valuable is Coles? More valuable than the first-round draft choice the Jets would get should he leave New York. Valuable enough for Pennington to lobby the front office to do everything in its power to keep Coles.

Coles has spoken with Pennington. "He said he already expressed his concern about it," Coles said.

Price, in four years in Buffalo, caught 232 passes for 3,302 yards (14.2 ypc) and 22 TDs. Coles, in three years as a Jet, has caught 170 passes for 2,502 yards (14.7 ypc) and 13 TDs. Price was 94-1,252 (14.2) with 9 TDs last season playing with Drew Bledsoe. Coles was 89-1,264 (14.2) last season with 5 TDs.

Coles was asked what he would like to say to Jets fans. "I want to be in New York," he said, "but they really leave me no choice. They have the cap room. They have money. They don't want to give it up, I guess."
                Beware the sack master!

Comment

• 4thAndLong
                  I'm Really 4 and Short
                  • Sep 2002

We wont get him, but I hope he leaves.

As long as he's out of the AFCE.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Coles and his agent are clearly overestimating his worth on the open market. Not that $3 million was right, but $6 million?

I could see $5 million/season given Price's deal

Comment

• clumping platelets

Redskins | More On Coles - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
                      22:11 PT: Len Pasquarelli reports for ESPN.com the offer sheet agrred to by restricted free agent WR Laveranues Coles (Jets) with the Washington Redskins is for seven years and is worth $35 million. It includes a signing bonus of $13 million, which is the largest ever paid to a wide receiver in a first "rider," and a roster bonus of $2 million in July of 2006. The cap number for the 2003 season would be about $2.31 million. Coles will fly to Washington on Monday to sign the offer sheet, and it will then be submitted to the league office, barring any snags

Comment

• Aero II
                        RWS Grounds Keeper. Why won't my grass grow?
                        • Jul 2002

Does snyder have part ownership in another team and is just merging the 2 salsry caps, how are these contracts getting structured where other teams are not matching?
                        Yr1-$600,00; yr2-$625,00, yr3-$700,000, yr4-$20,000,000?

I can't wait to see when Snyder is trading players for 7th round picks that he knows will be cheep.

Comment

• clumping platelets

I worked out the Redskins cap, they actually have the cap space this year and next, but 2005 will be very difficult.

Hmmmmmmm........you think they would invest in a real NFL caliber QB

Comment

• don137
                            • Jul 2002

I wonder if Price would of asked for more money, thus hurting his value, if Coles signed this deal a week ago.
                            It is a win-win situation for opponents of the Jets since the Jets will either spend a lot more money on Coles than they wanted or they lose their best receiver.

Comment

• Schobel94
                              The Sack Master
                              • Jan 2003

Washington is officially NY South!!
                              Beware the sack master!

Comment

Working...
                              X