PDA

View Full Version : Modus Operandi V1.0

X-Era
03-16-2007, 12:40 PM
The plan is clear. Run and stop the run.

That phrase above all else will make this team a solid, competitor that can win any game at any time.

Can we win games on JP's arm? yes...sometimes. We have seen that. Can we win games with Evans? yes...weve seen that. Can we win by simply stopping the pass? yes...weve seen that. But can you win enough games, win playoff games, or even go to or win a Superbowl? NO! I absolutely believe that. Its time tested, it may not be the case all of the time. But its the case MOST of the time.

So, how do we run and stop the run?

Well, in a Tampa 2 scheme that relys on smaller faster DL to get to the passer or just be around the ball, you need to find a way to have a fortified defense at the line of scrimmage. You must have players that will stop the run at or near the line of scrimmage. Tackling is not enough. This game is won by getting more than 10 yards in 3 plays and preventing more than 10 yards in 3 plays. Hence, tackling a RB after he gains 4 yards, means 12 yards in 3 downs and moving the chains. The goal must be stop stop the runner within 4 yards on every down they run.

We let Fletcher walk. Thats can be a move forward, if we make the right move now. The goal should be to maintain Fletchers level of speed, but add in strength and size to prevent runners from getting the critical 4 yards per down. Its 2 things, size and strength that upgrades the ILB position. Crowell? maybe. He has better measurables at both. Furthermore, he wont need to cover the area that an OLB needs to. The draft? maybe. The point is clear though, get someone that can fortify the line. Who fits the Bill? Willis, Siler, Harris, Durant. Who doesnt? Davis (5-9), Abbate (5-9).

We let Clements walk. Can he be replaced? anyone can be. Will it be this year? probably not. That doesnt mean we wont get the guy to do it. It means the chances that we get someone that plays at Clements level or better on day one is slim. If you want to stop the run, and your DB is gonna help, get speed and size. Smurfs can tackle, but they cant stop RB's at or near the line. We know the chances of that guy coming from the draft or being Youbouty are good. Youbouty has the size, he also has the speed with a mid 4.4 speed. Hall, Ross, McCauley, Bennett, Scott, Bain, Arline all have both size and speed. Who doesnt fit the Bill? Houston (5-9), Wilson (5-9), Hughes (4.65 40), Smith (4.51 40)

We traded Willis. Can we overcome the loss? easily. Willis couldnt run. Yes, yes, he could run. What he couldnt do is average 4 yards per carry. He would often get tackled one on one with a DB on or near the line. We simpy cant have that. We need strength, size, and speed to blast through that tackle and get the extra yards. He couldnt then be counted on to get us 1st downs. Can Thomas as a starter? Thomas can get 4 yards per carry if hes going against average talent. Can he do it against the leagues best? I dont think he can be counted on that way. If you want to run the ball, you want to take your best player and beat their best players. You want to lineup your RB and have him be faster, more evasive than any of the guys hes going to see in the 1st 4 yards. Can we get that? yes. It must be someone who can, at a relatively meager 200-250 pounds handle getting blasted by guys who can be well over 300 pounds. Who fits the Bill? Lynch, Bush, Hunt. Who doesnt fit? Peterson (injury prone), Pittman (5-10 207?), Irons (size), Booker (size). Thurman was no monster size wise. But he compensated in other areas. Lets not fool ourselves, there is no Thurman in this draft. Is there a Steven Jackson? yes I can see that.

We have 4 day one picks, we have 3 major needs. I think they can get players who can upgrade any of the open positions in any of the 1st 3 rounds.

CB, ILB, RB. Pick em right, make upgrades that directly improve running and stopping the run and this team is better next year than this year.

patmoran2006
03-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Everybody talks about stopping the run, but forget that you also have to be able to run.

A Train is good to a point, but they need a stud like Peterson and Lynch to be able to consistently run the ball.

Irons, Hunt, Pittman could become decent players, but they are far bigger risks to me than the top two guys.

Thats why I take a RB at 12..

And lets hope that McCargo has improved and will help stop the run.

X-Era
03-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Everybody talks about stopping the run, but forget that you also have to be able to run.

A Train is good to a point, but they need a stud like Peterson and Lynch to be able to consistently run the ball.

Irons, Hunt, Pittman could become decent players, but they are far bigger risks to me than the top two guys.

Im not stuck on round 1. I think Bush in the 2nd, or Hunt in the 3rd can still do the job and be an upgrade to Willis. That said, I want the best I can possibly get at RB, thats Lynch in my mind.

kernowboy
03-16-2007, 01:09 PM
We stop the run by drafting another DT in R1 like Okoye, giving us 4 decent DTs to continually rotate in and out, keeping them fresh and making sure they don't wear down.

We stop the run, by bringing in a big MLB with athleticism and speed like Zac DeOssie, 6.4, 250lbs running a 4.62, who we can grab at the start of Day2 and who can become a top LB for us.

We run the ball by bringing in a thumper like Brian Leonard who can also block and has great hands. Further down the line we can draft the lightening part of the combo in 2008 and moving Leonard to FB giving us the most versatile ground attack in the NFL with JP, Leonard and a lighter back like Raynell Rice or Steve Slaton.

We run the ball by forcing the opponents to look to the pass by trading up for Anthony Gonzalez a great route runner and No2 receiver

jdbillsfan
03-16-2007, 01:24 PM

I agree.

X-Era
03-16-2007, 01:42 PM
We stop the run by drafting another DT in R1 like Okoye, giving us 4 decent DTs to continually rotate in and out, keeping them fresh and making sure they don't wear down.

We stop the run, by bringing in a big MLB with athleticism and speed like Zac DeOssie, 6.4, 250lbs running a 4.62, who we can grab at the start of Day2 and who can become a top LB for us.

We run the ball by bringing in a thumper like Brian Leonard who can also block and has great hands. Further down the line we can draft the lightening part of the combo in 2008 and moving Leonard to FB giving us the most versatile ground attack in the NFL with JP, Leonard and a lighter back like Raynell Rice or Steve Slaton.

We run the ball by forcing the opponents to look to the pass by trading up for Anthony Gonzalez a great route runner and No2 receiver

Thats a list of 3 risky picks. Thanks but no thanks. Okoye? sure, but why when we have addressed DT last year. DeOssie? no, not as our new starter, too risky for a guy that many never be more than a backup. Leonhard? sure as a backup FB, who could earn the starting job. He doesnt have enough RB skills to be our new starter.

gr8slayer
03-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Lynch :pray: