Why is everyone so enamored with NE's moves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

Why is everyone so enamored with NE's moves?

New England has had more success than any other team in the last decade, I will grudgingly admit that.

They have accomplished what they did by smart drafting, developing thier talent, letting their "stars" get away for big paydays, and not making any major FA moves (Rosey Colvin excepted.)

Now, after a "mediocre" stretch in which the coaching staff has been decimated, Belichick and co have completely abandoned the system that made them great, and instead have chased high priced FA's at various positions.

In other words, this offseason they stopped approaching the league like the Patriots and started acting like.....the Redskins. And this is supposed to make them better?

I think BB senses the window closing, either on this team or his career in NE, and he is taking a big gamble that this will keep it propped open a little longer.

We should be celebrating these developments, not cursing them.
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    also cheese
  • camelcowboy
    • Mar 2005

Re: Why is everyone so enamored with NE's moves?

Originally posted by paulB
    New England has had more success than any other team in the last decade, I will grudgingly admit that.

They have accomplished what they did by smart drafting, developing thier talent, letting their "stars" get away for big paydays, and not making any major FA moves (Rosey Colvin excepted.)

Now, after a "mediocre" stretch in which the coaching staff has been decimated, Belichick and co have completely abandoned the system that made them great, and instead have chased high priced FA's at various positions.

In other words, this offseason they stopped approaching the league like the Patriots and started acting like.....the Redskins. And this is supposed to make them better?

I think BB senses the window closing, either on this team or his career in NE, and he is taking a big gamble that this will keep it propped open a little longer.

New England is going for the kill this offseason. They better themselve with Thomas, they fixed the weakest position on they're team with Stallworth and Washington. And they have 2 first round picks. Brady, Maroney, Watson, Stallworth. A good online. I hate the pats, and i have a feeling they are not going anywhere.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
      !?!?!?!?!?
      • Mar 2006

thanks bro for realizing this...very few do in the football world.........first let me point out they haven't signed any stud WRs they lost one of the up coming LBs in Tully Banta-Cain and replace him with Adalius Thomas an aging player who really hasnt been that productive during his 8 year career until the past year or two maybe 3 and he probably will only have one more year at th top of his game....Wes Welker is a great overall role player but nothing really special....Kelly Washington has potential but we have been saying this for awhile.....Donte Stallworth is in the leagues substance abuse program and has never had over 1000 yard season.....does anyone see anything special here? Am I missing something?

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
        thanks bro for realizing this...very few do in the football world.........first let me point out they haven't signed any stud WRs they lost one of the up coming LBs in Tully Banta-Cain and replace him with Adalius Thomas an aging player who really hasnt been that productive during his 8 year career until the past year or two maybe 3 and he probably will only have one more year at th top of his game....Wes Welker is a great overall role player but nothing really special....Kelly Washington has potential but we have been saying this for awhile.....Donte Stallworth is in the leagues substance abuse program and has never had over 1000 yard season.....does anyone see anything special here? Am I missing something?
        All of this may be true but BB has turned lesser players into all-stars.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
          !?!?!?!?!?
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by gr8slayer
          I think that was Tom Brady......

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
            I think that was Tom Brady......
            Banta Cain
            Bruschi
            Gay
            Samuel

Just off the top of my head.

Comment

• redsoxkick101
              • Mar 2007

the pats add stallworth and wahsington and are not better? this makes no sense. banta-cain was a player who without Bill would be nothing and is not thomas. There is a reason they let him go and signed thomas. with two picks to add depth to the pats did will only help them. These moves are not redskin like because there were major depth issues.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                • Mar 2005

The team that won the AFC EAST, lost in the championship game. Adds the best Freeagent Linebacker. who at 30 is still a spring chicken compared to their present line backers. They have two first round picks. Add a explosive receiver in stallworth, and a dynamic special teamer in Welker. They are not worse this offseason. Harrison's comming back they kept Samuel. Im sorry you can rationalize it all you want they are a better team then last years.
                A.Thomas is a huge upgrade over Banta Cain.

Comment

• Stewie
                  • Aug 2002

Has he really though? Who was mediocre and then blossomed into an all star when BB got a hold of him?

BB has a great defensive mind, and is a great head coach, but it seems to me that in the era of free agency, he never won a thing until Mo Lewis almost killed Drew Bledsoe.
                  I love Weiner.
                  also cheese

Comment

• Stewie
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                    The team that won the AFC EAST, lost in the championship game. Adds the best Freeagent Linebacker. who at 30 is still a spring chicken compared to their present line backer. They have two first round picks. Add a explosive receiver in stallworth, and a dynamic special teamer. They are not worse this offseason. Harrison's comming back they kept Samuel. Im sorry you can rationalize it all you want they are a better team.
                    So, when everyone used to say the same thing about the Redskins every year, how did that usually turn out?

All I'm saying is that BB had a plan that worked, and he has decisievly moved away from that plan to one that has experienced less success when employed by other teams.

I think it's crazy to say they're better or worse... no games have been played yet. Everyone looks better on paper when they sign 3 or 4 FA starters. I guess we shall see...
                    I love Weiner.
                    also cheese

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

Has he really though? Who was mediocre and then blossomed into an all star when BB got a hold of him?

BB has a great defensive mind, and is a great head coach, but it seems to me that in the era of free agency, he never won a thing until Mo Lewis almost killed Drew Bledsoe.
                      Wasn't that his first year with NE though?

Comment

• Stewie
                        • Aug 2002

Wasn't that his first year with NE though?
                        Second, he went 5-11 in his first year, and I believe they were 0-2 when Bledsoe got hit in the third game.
                        I love Weiner.
                        also cheese

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                          !?!?!?!?!?
                          • Mar 2006

Banta Cain
                          Bruschi
                          Gay
                          Samuel

Just off the top of my head.
                          who said that was BB who made them who they r? first off TBC never had more than 43 tackles second of all Asante Samuels had his first season with more than 3 INTs this year with 10......Randall Gay, its his 3rd year in the league has done almost nothing since his rookie year, infact he has been injured soo much that he has played 8 games in the last 2 years so idk what BB has done to make him anything special and Bruschi began playing well before BB even came to New Engalnd as HC

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                            !?!?!?!?!?
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by redsoxkick101
                            the pats add stallworth and wahsington and are not better? this makes no sense. banta-cain was a player who without Bill would be nothing and is not thomas. There is a reason they let him go and signed thomas. with two picks to add depth to the pats did will only help them. These moves are not redskin like because there were major depth issues.
                            provide me with stats to prove that these guys are much better than what you already have

Comment

• Stewie
                              • Aug 2002

I won't argue that BB can make guys play better than they "are", or put them in positions to succeed more often than other coaches, but that doesn't change the fact that he has fundamentally changed his approach to his team.

I'm not crazy, I still think the pats are the team to beat in the AFCE, but only because they won it last year. I just don't buy into this silliness about how adding FA's makes teams instanty better, and that NE has greatly increased the separation between them and the other three teams. History just doesn't agree.
                              I love Weiner.
                              also cheese

Comment

Working...
                              X