PDA

View Full Version : Vic Carucci

Saratoga Slim
03-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Just said on Siurius that he doesn't think there's any chance the Bills keep Spikes unless they are able to renegotiate his contract.

Didn't sound like he expects it will happen. Take that for what its worth, but I hope he's wrong.

patmoran2006
03-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I will be very bothered by this organization if they trade Spikes right now, before we even see what he has in camp, and especially if it's not for a trade thats too hard to pass up.

It will appear as little more than another cost cutting move, and that's total bull****.. We're ridiculously thin at LB to begin with, and we're going to dump off potentially our best LB for a mid round draft pick? Please

RedEyE
03-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't see how that's possible (not shooting the messenger here). The Bills paid out Clements 1 year contract last season at $5 mill when several other positions needed to be addressed.

I see Spikes situation in the same light as Clements, although different considering the tag. While Takeo might be on the downward slide of his career, he's still better then what we have or could have at this point (unless Buffalo and Chicago could some how trade Briggs for Spikes - unlikely).

Even if we draft a LB in the 1st round, I still don't see the Bills shopping Spikes.

Elminster
03-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I don't see how that's possible (not shooting the messenger here). The Bills paid out Clements 1 year contract last season at $5 mill when several other positions needed to be addressed.

I see Spikes situation in the same light as Clements, although different considering the tag. While Takeo might be on the downward slide of his career, he's still better then what we have or could have at this point (unless Buffalo and Chicago could some how trade Briggs for Spikes - unlikely).

Even if we draft a LB in the 1st round, I still don't see the Bills shopping Spikes.
I disagree. I think Crowell and Ellison are both superior to Spikes at this point...and, as you pointed out, even if that's NOT true, it WILL be true shortly. I'd deal him if a 4th or better came my way. I say that because it's not an Emo situation where he absolutely has to go...we can handle his cap number just fine...

RedEyE
03-17-2007, 12:08 PM
I disagree. I think Crowell and Ellison are both superior to Spikes at this point...and, as you pointed out, even if that's NOT true, it WILL be true shortly. I'd deal him if a 4th or better came my way. I say that because it's not an Emo situation where he absolutely has to go...we can handle his cap number just fine...

That's fine and I respect your opinion, but that leaves Haggen and Wire competing for the Sam LB slot. Haggen is still unproven IMO. Wire is clearly a depth player.

HHURRICANE
03-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I believe that the Bills want to renegotiate his contract which they have every right to do. His injury is never going to be 100% and they know this. Spikes can either be a jerk about or get cut. Nobody is giving up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

If you think our off season has been getting ripped so far wait until this happens. Again, we all watched Spikes getting to everything late when he was on the field. An undersized "slow guy" doesn't fit the Tampa 2 either.

I just wish we had one Vet LB coming in to replace him or fletch. Briggs to Buffalo baby!! Maybe that have to renegotiate so they can trade him.

RedEyE
03-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I think they would like to renegotiate as well, but I'm not sure Spikes is willing to do that. This is why I believe that Buffalo will pay him out for the year and let him walk next season.....or hobble, whatever the case maybe.

justasportsfan
03-17-2007, 12:16 PM

How does subtracting spikes and replacing him with a 4th make the team better?

I think the team will keep him until the doctors decide he'll never get back to form. I think they will determine that at camp or OTA's.

IMO, Spikes stays unless we find a replacement for the Probowl Spikes. Either immediately ( A Briggs type) or potentially, (best lb'er in the draft.)

Like Dick said, if trading players does not make the team bettter, he's not gonna do it.

HHURRICANE
03-17-2007, 12:21 PM

I think the team will keep him until the doctors decide he'll never get back to form. I think they will determine that at camp or OTA's.

IMO, Spikes stays unless we find a replacement for the Probowl Spikes. Either immediately ( A Briggs type) or potentially, (best lb'er in the draft.)

Like Dick said, if trading players does not make the team bettter, he's not gonna do it.

The doctors knew it was a problem before it ruptured. Why do you think the Bills are being so aggressive about this. That was Spikes limping all season by the way. The tear is too high to have a 100% recovery.

jpdex12
03-17-2007, 12:28 PM
There's a lot here that we may not know either. Yes he has been a key component on the defense but maybe Spikes wants to go to another team and maybe he is refusing to renegotiate his contract. We as fans have no idea therefore the team has to do what they feel is necessary. That said, he may be pushing to get cut or traded so OBD will have to make the best of it. Let's not start ripping the organization before we know the facts and they may not be know until he is gone from Buffalo.

All we can do is hope for the best. Marv and Dick will make something positive out of this.

Historian
03-18-2007, 05:29 AM
I don't think his heart's in Buffalo anymore.

Jan Reimers
03-18-2007, 05:52 AM
What seems clear is that the Bills know - from their medical staff - that Spikes is not going to make a full recovery. Therefore, they are not willing to pay him close to $5 Million. If he renegotiates, I think he competes for a spot.

If he doesn't, I think he's gone. Either way, we draft at least one LB on day one.

don137
03-18-2007, 10:16 AM
I think we wait until the day of or after the draft to unload Spikes. Basically until after the Bills a LB.

venis2k1
03-18-2007, 10:47 AM
lets say we trade spikes, who would be the vocal "leader" on defense? schobel? Crowell? whitner? i would really like to have some sort of a veteran presence on the defensive side of the ball. in a perfect world, i would like to see us draft willis in the first, keep spikes this year, and reevaluate his situation next year.

Don't Panic
03-18-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm surprised no one in the Buffalo media has tried to get an interview with Spikes. I'm not advocating it (just stiring the pot, really), but this seems like a media-type move. I'd love to know what he's thinking about his name being shopped and whether or not he's still committed to being a part of this team. My feeling is that he does still want to be a part of it, but I fully admit that this is a homer point of view... could just be a case of wishful thinking.

HHURRICANE
03-18-2007, 11:37 AM
When did Vic Carucci become such a Bills hater? Everytime I hear him it's Bills bashing. Wasn't he the one that ripped on Losman. He thinks the 49'rs got a HOFr in Clements by listening to him.

Considering everything is pure speculation I'll just wait. The Bills lose Nate, we're drafting a CB, we lose mcGahee, ohhh we're drafting a RB, we lose Fletcher, off we're drafting a LB. I've never seen a team so under the microscope. The Dolphins have been on a major purge and you don't see near the criticism and they have been out of the playoffs as long as we have.

Michael82
03-18-2007, 11:47 AM
If we had no plan on keeping Spikes, we should have traded him or cut him and then signed Cato June. :mad:

Typ0
03-18-2007, 11:55 AM

moving a player that does not play up to his contract value does improve the team. You have to look at things from a financial perspective too. There is opportunity cost involved when players don't bring home the bacon they are getting paid to bring home.

justasportsfan
03-18-2007, 11:58 AM
moving a player that does not play up to his contract value does improve the team. You have to look at things from a financial perspective too. There is opportunity cost involved when players don't bring home the bacon they are getting paid to bring home.

but that hasn't been determined by the doctors yet , per MArv.

Typ0
03-18-2007, 12:52 PM
but that hasn't been determined by the doctors yet , per MArv.

we do have evidence of his play though...we know how things looked last season. And they aren't going to say "Spikes is just going to be a fragment of his old self" if they are thinking a trade is possible.

North_Coast
03-18-2007, 01:51 PM
we do have evidence of his play though...we know how things looked last season. And they aren't going to say "Spikes is just going to be a fragment of his old self" if they are thinking a trade is possible.

I think that most sports medicine experts believe it takes more than a year for an Achilles tendon tear to heal which is why the Bills are waiting to see how he does in OTAs. There was another LB who tore his AT and came back almost 100% in his second year back (I can't remember his name). Sam Cowart, however, never made it back. It depends on the person and the injury.

I think that any trade would also be contingent on Takeo passing a physical.