X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

Vic Carucci

Just said on Siurius that he doesn't think there's any chance the Bills keep Spikes unless they are able to renegotiate his contract.

Didn't sound like he expects it will happen. Take that for what its worth, but I hope he's wrong.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Vic Carucci

I will be very bothered by this organization if they trade Spikes right now, before we even see what he has in camp, and especially if it's not for a trade thats too hard to pass up.

It will appear as little more than another cost cutting move, and that's total bull****.. We're ridiculously thin at LB to begin with, and we're going to dump off potentially our best LB for a mid round draft pick? Please

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

I don't see how that's possible (not shooting the messenger here). The Bills paid out Clements 1 year contract last season at $5 mill when several other positions needed to be addressed.

I see Spikes situation in the same light as Clements, although different considering the tag. While Takeo might be on the downward slide of his career, he's still better then what we have or could have at this point (unless Buffalo and Chicago could some how trade Briggs for Spikes - unlikely).

Even if we draft a LB in the 1st round, I still don't see the Bills shopping Spikes.

Comment

• Elminster
        #1 Kelsay Fan
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RedEyE
        I don't see how that's possible (not shooting the messenger here). The Bills paid out Clements 1 year contract last season at $5 mill when several other positions needed to be addressed.

I see Spikes situation in the same light as Clements, although different considering the tag. While Takeo might be on the downward slide of his career, he's still better then what we have or could have at this point (unless Buffalo and Chicago could some how trade Briggs for Spikes - unlikely).

Even if we draft a LB in the 1st round, I still don't see the Bills shopping Spikes.
        I disagree. I think Crowell and Ellison are both superior to Spikes at this point...and, as you pointed out, even if that's NOT true, it WILL be true shortly. I'd deal him if a 4th or better came my way. I say that because it's not an Emo situation where he absolutely has to go...we can handle his cap number just fine...
        Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Elminster
          I disagree. I think Crowell and Ellison are both superior to Spikes at this point...and, as you pointed out, even if that's NOT true, it WILL be true shortly. I'd deal him if a 4th or better came my way. I say that because it's not an Emo situation where he absolutely has to go...we can handle his cap number just fine...
          That's fine and I respect your opinion, but that leaves Haggen and Wire competing for the Sam LB slot. Haggen is still unproven IMO. Wire is clearly a depth player.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

I believe that the Bills want to renegotiate his contract which they have every right to do. His injury is never going to be 100% and they know this. Spikes can either be a jerk about or get cut. Nobody is giving up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

If you think our off season has been getting ripped so far wait until this happens. Again, we all watched Spikes getting to everything late when he was on the field. An undersized "slow guy" doesn't fit the Tampa 2 either.

I just wish we had one Vet LB coming in to replace him or fletch. Briggs to Buffalo baby!! Maybe that have to renegotiate so they can trade him.

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

I think they would like to renegotiate as well, but I'm not sure Spikes is willing to do that. This is why I believe that Buffalo will pay him out for the year and let him walk next season.....or hobble, whatever the case maybe.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Elminster
                How does subtracting spikes and replacing him with a 4th make the team better?

I think the team will keep him until the doctors decide he'll never get back to form. I think they will determine that at camp or OTA's.

IMO, Spikes stays unless we find a replacement for the Probowl Spikes. Either immediately ( A Briggs type) or potentially, (best lb'er in the draft.)

Like Dick said, if trading players does not make the team bettter, he's not gonna do it.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  How does subtracting spikes and replacing him with a 4th make the team better?

I think the team will keep him until the doctors decide he'll never get back to form. I think they will determine that at camp or OTA's.

IMO, Spikes stays unless we find a replacement for the Probowl Spikes. Either immediately ( A Briggs type) or potentially, (best lb'er in the draft.)

Like Dick said, if trading players does not make the team bettter, he's not gonna do it.
                  The doctors knew it was a problem before it ruptured. Why do you think the Bills are being so aggressive about this. That was Spikes limping all season by the way. The tear is too high to have a 100% recovery.

Comment

• jpdex12
                    • Jan 2005

There's a lot here that we may not know either. Yes he has been a key component on the defense but maybe Spikes wants to go to another team and maybe he is refusing to renegotiate his contract. We as fans have no idea therefore the team has to do what they feel is necessary. That said, he may be pushing to get cut or traded so OBD will have to make the best of it. Let's not start ripping the organization before we know the facts and they may not be know until he is gone from Buffalo.

All we can do is hope for the best. Marv and Dick will make something positive out of this.
                    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

I don't think his heart's in Buffalo anymore.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

What seems clear is that the Bills know - from their medical staff - that Spikes is not going to make a full recovery. Therefore, they are not willing to pay him close to $5 Million. If he renegotiates, I think he competes for a spot.

If he doesn't, I think he's gone. Either way, we draft at least one LB on day one.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• don137
                          • Jul 2002

I think we wait until the day of or after the draft to unload Spikes. Basically until after the Bills a LB.

Comment

• venis2k1
                            Youboty can hope
                            • Jul 2002

lets say we trade spikes, who would be the vocal "leader" on defense? schobel? Crowell? whitner? i would really like to have some sort of a veteran presence on the defensive side of the ball. in a perfect world, i would like to see us draft willis in the first, keep spikes this year, and reevaluate his situation next year.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Dec 2005

I'm surprised no one in the Buffalo media has tried to get an interview with Spikes. I'm not advocating it (just stiring the pot, really), but this seems like a media-type move. I'd love to know what he's thinking about his name being shopped and whether or not he's still committed to being a part of this team. My feeling is that he does still want to be a part of it, but I fully admit that this is a homer point of view... could just be a case of wishful thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X