PDA

View Full Version : Bucs never intended to sign Grant

BILLSROCK1212
03-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Buccaneers | Team will make at C. Grant in 2008
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:13:19 -0700

Roy Cummings, of The Tampa Tribune, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers talked with free-agent DE Charles Grant (Saints), who was franchise tagged by the New Orleans Saints this offseason. The Buccaneers visit with Grant was an attempt to let him know they will make a run at him in 2008 if he is a free agent again. General manager Bruce Allen said, "We never intended to discuss a contract with him. We talked about his dreams and discussed his options. We obviously have a leg up on our competition."

bflojohn
03-17-2007, 02:10 PM
This ploy by the Bucs smacks of tampering to me!! Essentailly, they convey the fact that IF "you" are a free agent next year, we'll have an interest. I think this is an unfair advantage and puts a division rival in the drivers seat, possibly, and also gives Charles Grant agent an advantage in negotiations IMO. Remember, Grant is technically "under contract via the franchise tag administered in February. Call me crazy, but if the Dolphins, Patriots, or Jets ever did this to one of "our" franchised players I'd be pissed!!!

Italian Stallion
03-17-2007, 03:09 PM
I think it's a good idea and I bet more teams start doing it.

It's a way to let the player know, a whole year in advance, that your gonna be all up on him next offseason.

Not to mention that the Bucs might be hoping to get some sympathy and soem partisan play from him in the two division games this year. Maybe, just maybe, he won't try to hurt the Bucs chances to win too much, knowing how much that they like him!?!?

Bottom line is though, it pisses off a division rival.....which is never EVER a bad thing.

Maybe Marv should have Asante Samuel in for a grad slam at Dennys.

McBFLO
03-17-2007, 05:48 PM
This ploy by the Bucs smacks of tampering to me!! Essentailly, they convey the fact that IF "you" are a free agent next year, we'll have an interest. I think this is an unfair advantage and puts a division rival in the drivers seat, possibly, and also gives Charles Grant agent an advantage in negotiations IMO. Remember, Grant is technically "under contract via the franchise tag administered in February. Call me crazy, but if the Dolphins, Patriots, or Jets ever did this to one of "our" franchised players I'd be pissed!!!
It's not tampering. He's not under contract until he signs the 1-year franchise tender, which he has yet to do. He's free to discuss conntracts with whatever team he wants to. I think it's a very smart move on the Bucs part.