PDA

View Full Version : This is a bold move in the draft but would you consider it?

jpdex12
03-17-2007, 12:37 PM
What would you think if Buffalo used the #12 pick on Willis as he is more likely to be drafted before Lynch and then we traded our #43 pick and #94 pick this year and also our second round pick next to one of the teams at pick 13-15 before Green Bay gets their hands on Lynch and we draft Lynch with that second 1st round pick?

It would be like we drafted Willis in the 1st and Lynch in the second and then still had our 3rd round pick this year. It could happen at an even later pick than 13-15 especially if Peterson is still on the board after the #12 pick because GB would have either Lynch or Peterson in their sites with the #16 pick. We take the best DT available in the third and CB in the 4th this year.

Would you do this? I would!

YardRat
03-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Wow. Deja' vu.

bflojohn
03-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Bold moves might, just might get this team into the playoff picture THIS YEAR!! I'm ALL for anything in this draft that manuevers this team into contention. I do think that your Green Bay assumption could be must that as they very well could take a WR at that spot IMO! The less spots to trade up the better!

Tatonka
03-17-2007, 01:08 PM
i would rather trade half this years draft and next years 1st and 2nd to get calvin.

jpdex12
03-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Bold moves might, just might get this team into the playoff picture THIS YEAR!! I'm ALL for anything in this draft that manuevers this team into contention. I do think that your Green Bay assumption could be must that as they very well could take a WR at that spot IMO! The less spots to trade up the better!

Unfortunately, it may take something like this for some of our die hard fans to get off of Marv's friggin back. I trust we will make the right moves in the draft. I would crap if we pulled a whopping move like this. This would be tits! We would just have to talk a team into doing this now.

ShadowHawk7
03-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't know about that. I am really against trading future day 1 picks for picks this year.

I'd much rather go Willis then Irons in the 3rd w/ DT and WR being our other first day picks OR Lynch/Peterson then Jon Beason in the 2nd with DT and WR addressed in the 3rd.

HHURRICANE
03-17-2007, 02:29 PM
What would you think if Buffalo used the #12 pick on Willis as he is more likely to be drafted before Lynch and then we traded our #43 pick and #94 pick this year and also our second round pick next to one of the teams at pick 13-15 before Green Bay gets their hands on Lynch and we draft Lynch with that second 1st round pick?

It would be like we drafted Willis in the 1st and Lynch in the second and then still had our 3rd round pick this year. It could happen at an even later pick than 13-15 especially if Peterson is still on the board after the #12 pick because GB would have either Lynch or Peterson in their sites with the #16 pick. We take the best DT available in the third and CB in the 4th this year.

I like this. I suggested this 2 days ago if Willis and Lynch were both available at #12.

X-Era
03-17-2007, 02:45 PM

I dont disagree with that plan. I have never been a fan of holding on to draft picks like they are gold. Just as often as they turn out to be gold, they turn out to be dirt.

As Ive said, we need 3 starting spots from this draft, ILB, CB, RB. The rest is gravy. Could we use more? sure. Is it a must? no. Fact is a second or third tier FA can replace Tim Anderson. WR? sure, is it a have to have? no.

So moving up to lock up the #1, 2 or 3 ILB, CB or RB? yes that makes sense.

Now, that said. There are options in the 2nd even 3rd. I stand firm that RB is just too important a position to not get the best you can. Thats why Id rather get this first and foremost, and then grab the rest. Siler can play and he will be there in the 2nd. Guys like McCauley, even Bennett can play. Add in Youboty and I think we can survive the loss of Clements.

Having said that, I just falshed back to the Chris Watson days...uggghhhh....scarry. CB is SOOOO critical. It doesnt have to be the 1st pick, but we need a solid player.

How about moving up from the 3rd into the 2nd to get Siler AND McCauley? Lynch, Siler, McCauley? I can deal with that.

X-Era
03-17-2007, 02:47 PM
i would rather trade half this years draft and next years 1st and 2nd to get calvin.

Yes, hes that good.

But why wont he want to be the #1 guy and command #1 money? Dont we have a #1 in Evans?

Is there a risk of Moulds/Peerless all over again?

Italian Stallion
03-17-2007, 02:58 PM

This was an incredibly stupid thing for Mike Ditka and the Saints to do for Ricky Williams...Not that I'm implying that CJ will turn out just like him- i dont think anybody could (living in a tent in the wilderness)

However what I'm trying to say is that I really don't think ANYONE is worth that much sacrifice when they haven't played a down in the NFL.

John Doe
03-17-2007, 09:33 PM
This was an incredibly stupid thing for Mike Ditka and the Saints to do for Ricky Williams...Not that I'm implying that CJ will turn out just like him- i dont think anybody could (living in a tent in the wilderness)

However what I'm trying to say is that I really don't think ANYONE is worth that much sacrifice when they haven't played a down in the NFL.

Plus, there is always the threat of a career ending injury.

Too many eggs in one basket.

jamze132
03-18-2007, 02:36 AM
My ideal draft would have us drafting Patrick at #12 and then trading back in to get Marshawn. This has been on my mind for a couple of weeks. I have a feeling that Marv is going to shut Kiper up this year.

kernowboy
03-18-2007, 04:26 AM
An awful, just awful suggestion

Why are people up on Lynch? He had a poor combine, has character issues and is vastly over rated. If he came out next year, there would be half a dozen RBs ahead of him. And there is no need to go after Willis with such a high pick. Again I wonder if we need him consider the LB depth in the draft.

The draft move we should make is to package our 3rd rounders together and move back into Round 2 for a true No2 like Anthony Gonzalez

Kick off

R1 ... Amobi Okoye - we have light DTs who wear down in the Tampa 2 .. we therefore need 4 to keep them all fresh and Okoye has huge upside in this years DT class and next

R2a .. Brian Leonard .. a power runner, and a receiver and blocker, who can move the chains, help out the OL and catch down the field. Versatile enough to move to FB if we draft a much better RB than Lynch in 2008

R2b ... Anthony Gonzalez, a true No2

R4 ... Zac DeOssie, our MLB who can at least as good as Willis. And if DeOssie doesn't work out we can pick up someone like Dan Connor in 2008 and move Angelo inside.

Lynch isn't good enough to help us get to the SuperBowl, this year or next. But draft Okoye, Leonard and Gonzalez this year followed by Dan Connor and someone of the order of Slaton or Rice in 2008 will take us deep into the postseason then.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-18-2007, 06:55 AM
I think the Bills would be better served using all the draft picks they have. There are so many needs and I don't think they really should be trading multiple draft picks for one.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-18-2007, 06:56 AM

Why are people up on Lynch? He had a poor combine, has character issues and is vastly over rated. If he came out next year, there would be half a dozen RBs ahead of him. And there is no need to go after Willis with such a high pick. Again I wonder if we need him consider the LB depth in the draft.

The draft move we should make is to package our 3rd rounders together and move back into Round 2 for a true No2 like Anthony Gonzalez

Kick off

R1 ... Amobi Okoye - we have light DTs who wear down in the Tampa 2 .. we therefore need 4 to keep them all fresh and Okoye has huge upside in this years DT class and next

R2a .. Brian Leonard .. a power runner, and a receiver and blocker, who can move the chains, help out the OL and catch down the field. Versatile enough to move to FB if we draft a much better RB than Lynch in 2008

R4 ... Zac DeOssie, our MLB who can at least as good as Willis. And if DeOssie doesn't work out we can pick up someone like Dan Connor in 2008 and move Angelo inside.

Lynch isn't good enough to help us get to the SuperBowl, this year or next. But draft Okoye, Leonard and Gonzalez this year followed by Dan Connor and someone of the order of Slaton or Rice in 2008 will take us deep into the postseason then.

Are you really going to say Marshawn Lynch is overrated and then say they should draft Brian Leonard?

jpdex12
03-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Are you really going to say Marshawn Lynch is overrated and then say they should draft Brian Leonard?

No kidding! That is one of the dumbest things I have heard yet. Lynch has a better per carry average than Peterson, he is more versatile and he has stayed healthier in his collegiate career. That doesn't sound overrated to me.

jpdex12
03-18-2007, 08:04 AM

Kick off

Can you tell us what it was that made you think that he performed poorly in the combine? Details?

What character issues are you talking about? Details?

You talk about us having light DT's that wear down in the Tampa 2 but Okoye has weighed in lighter than the DT's that we have now.

No need to go after Willis at #12? Let's take some chump that not many have heard of in the 18th round to fill an important hole on the defense at LB. Glad you're not our GM!

Leonard better than Lynch? Buffalo draft Slaton or Rice in 2008? We better hope to be picking in the top 5 then if you expect that! If that happens then we finished poorly in 2007. If that happens then it was probably because we picked DeOssie in the 6th round for our MLB spot.

Gonzalez is the only decent name I've hear in this post. What the hell?

Don't Panic
03-18-2007, 08:39 AM

I will gladly say that, especially if we get Leonard in the 3rd. Lynch is not worth the #12 pick IMO. At #12, it HAS to be an absolute sure thing. He is not. However our 3rd round pick would be a great spot to get Leonard. If we grab him with our current 2nd, it may be too high, but hard to argue the 3rd.

ParanoidAndroid
03-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm not convinced that such a move would be a good idea, bold or not. We all know that we are building and we're not about to win a superbowl this year. So why not use these draft picks to fill other holes on the team, especially when RB's are, as they say, "a dime a dozen?"
If last year's draft taught us anything, it is that good players can be found all throughout the draft if you choose wisely. Having so many draft picks contribute to an improved product on the field last year, with two day one picks who didn't really get to show us what they had due to unfortunate circumstances, should convince us to either stand pat or trade down to increase our number of picks.

Tatonka
03-18-2007, 11:35 AM

i wasnt saying that i would want to do that, per say... i was saying that if we were going to make some ridiculous trade manuver.. i would want to do it for calvin..

patmoran2006
03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Id give up all my first day picks for Calvin Johnson; I dont care how many people say Im stupid and a Madden generation GM.

At the end of the day, Losman would be throwing the ball to Calvin Johnson and Lee Evans with a better OL, and NOBODY in the league would be able to stop it.

If we go 7-9 again, we'd be losing 31-28 every game and we'd be doing it with the best WR tandem in the league for the next 7 years

Tatonka
03-18-2007, 11:42 AM
well, technically, if we got calvin, you can bet your ass that evans wouldnt be resigning in 2 years.

patmoran2006
03-18-2007, 11:48 AM
He would if we decided it was a premium spot and kept them both happy, like Indy has with Wayne and Harrison through the years..

And nobody can really ***** about the priorities of a team that wins every year either.

justasportsfan
03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
all offense and no defense? Yup, that 's how the 90's bills won 4 sb's.