This is a bold move in the draft but would you consider it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

This is a bold move in the draft but would you consider it?

What would you think if Buffalo used the #12 pick on Willis as he is more likely to be drafted before Lynch and then we traded our #43 pick and #94 pick this year and also our second round pick next to one of the teams at pick 13-15 before Green Bay gets their hands on Lynch and we draft Lynch with that second 1st round pick?

It would be like we drafted Willis in the 1st and Lynch in the second and then still had our 3rd round pick this year. It could happen at an even later pick than 13-15 especially if Peterson is still on the board after the #12 pick because GB would have either Lynch or Peterson in their sites with the #16 pick. We take the best DT available in the third and CB in the 4th this year.

Would you do this? I would!
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: This is a bold move in the draft but would you consider it?

Wow. Deja' vu.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• bflojohn
      • Aug 2005

Bold moves might, just might get this team into the playoff picture THIS YEAR!! I'm ALL for anything in this draft that manuevers this team into contention. I do think that your Green Bay assumption could be must that as they very well could take a WR at that spot IMO! The less spots to trade up the better!

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

i would rather trade half this years draft and next years 1st and 2nd to get calvin.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• jpdex12
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by bflojohn
          Bold moves might, just might get this team into the playoff picture THIS YEAR!! I'm ALL for anything in this draft that manuevers this team into contention. I do think that your Green Bay assumption could be must that as they very well could take a WR at that spot IMO! The less spots to trade up the better!
          Unfortunately, it may take something like this for some of our die hard fans to get off of Marv's friggin back. I trust we will make the right moves in the draft. I would crap if we pulled a whopping move like this. This would be tits! We would just have to talk a team into doing this now.
          Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
            Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
            • Mar 2003

I don't know about that. I am really against trading future day 1 picks for picks this year.

I'd much rather go Willis then Irons in the 3rd w/ DT and WR being our other first day picks OR Lynch/Peterson then Jon Beason in the 2nd with DT and WR addressed in the 3rd.
            "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
            -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jpdex12
              What would you think if Buffalo used the #12 pick on Willis as he is more likely to be drafted before Lynch and then we traded our #43 pick and #94 pick this year and also our second round pick next to one of the teams at pick 13-15 before Green Bay gets their hands on Lynch and we draft Lynch with that second 1st round pick?

It would be like we drafted Willis in the 1st and Lynch in the second and then still had our 3rd round pick this year. It could happen at an even later pick than 13-15 especially if Peterson is still on the board after the #12 pick because GB would have either Lynch or Peterson in their sites with the #16 pick. We take the best DT available in the third and CB in the 4th this year.

I like this. I suggested this 2 days ago if Willis and Lynch were both available at #12.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jpdex12

I dont disagree with that plan. I have never been a fan of holding on to draft picks like they are gold. Just as often as they turn out to be gold, they turn out to be dirt.

As Ive said, we need 3 starting spots from this draft, ILB, CB, RB. The rest is gravy. Could we use more? sure. Is it a must? no. Fact is a second or third tier FA can replace Tim Anderson. WR? sure, is it a have to have? no.

So moving up to lock up the #1, 2 or 3 ILB, CB or RB? yes that makes sense.

Now, that said. There are options in the 2nd even 3rd. I stand firm that RB is just too important a position to not get the best you can. Thats why Id rather get this first and foremost, and then grab the rest. Siler can play and he will be there in the 2nd. Guys like McCauley, even Bennett can play. Add in Youboty and I think we can survive the loss of Clements.

Having said that, I just falshed back to the Chris Watson days...uggghhhh....scarry. CB is SOOOO critical. It doesnt have to be the 1st pick, but we need a solid player.

How about moving up from the 3rd into the 2nd to get Siler AND McCauley? Lynch, Siler, McCauley? I can deal with that.

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                  i would rather trade half this years draft and next years 1st and 2nd to get calvin.
                  Yes, hes that good.

But why wont he want to be the #1 guy and command #1 money? Dont we have a #1 in Evans?

Is there a risk of Moulds/Peerless all over again?

Comment

• Italian Stallion
                    Knows More Than You
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    This was an incredibly stupid thing for Mike Ditka and the Saints to do for Ricky Williams...Not that I'm implying that CJ will turn out just like him- i dont think anybody could (living in a tent in the wilderness)

However what I'm trying to say is that I really don't think ANYONE is worth that much sacrifice when they haven't played a down in the NFL.
                    BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Comment

• John Doe
                      Florida Man
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Italian Stallion
                      This was an incredibly stupid thing for Mike Ditka and the Saints to do for Ricky Williams...Not that I'm implying that CJ will turn out just like him- i dont think anybody could (living in a tent in the wilderness)

However what I'm trying to say is that I really don't think ANYONE is worth that much sacrifice when they haven't played a down in the NFL.
                      Plus, there is always the threat of a career ending injury.

Too many eggs in one basket.

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

My ideal draft would have us drafting Patrick at #12 and then trading back in to get Marshawn. This has been on my mind for a couple of weeks. I have a feeling that Marv is going to shut Kiper up this year.

Comment

An awful, just awful suggestion

Why are people up on Lynch? He had a poor combine, has character issues and is vastly over rated. If he came out next year, there would be half a dozen RBs ahead of him. And there is no need to go after Willis with such a high pick. Again I wonder if we need him consider the LB depth in the draft.

The draft move we should make is to package our 3rd rounders together and move back into Round 2 for a true No2 like Anthony Gonzalez

Kick off

R1 ... Amobi Okoye - we have light DTs who wear down in the Tampa 2 .. we therefore need 4 to keep them all fresh and Okoye has huge upside in this years DT class and next

R2a .. Brian Leonard .. a power runner, and a receiver and blocker, who can move the chains, help out the OL and catch down the field. Versatile enough to move to FB if we draft a much better RB than Lynch in 2008

R2b ... Anthony Gonzalez, a true No2

R4 ... Zac DeOssie, our MLB who can at least as good as Willis. And if DeOssie doesn't work out we can pick up someone like Dan Connor in 2008 and move Angelo inside.

Lynch isn't good enough to help us get to the SuperBowl, this year or next. But draft Okoye, Leonard and Gonzalez this year followed by Dan Connor and someone of the order of Slaton or Rice in 2008 will take us deep into the postseason then.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                            • May 2003

I think the Bills would be better served using all the draft picks they have. There are so many needs and I don't think they really should be trading multiple draft picks for one.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by kernowboy
                              An awful, just awful suggestion

Why are people up on Lynch? He had a poor combine, has character issues and is vastly over rated. If he came out next year, there would be half a dozen RBs ahead of him. And there is no need to go after Willis with such a high pick. Again I wonder if we need him consider the LB depth in the draft.

The draft move we should make is to package our 3rd rounders together and move back into Round 2 for a true No2 like Anthony Gonzalez

Kick off

R1 ... Amobi Okoye - we have light DTs who wear down in the Tampa 2 .. we therefore need 4 to keep them all fresh and Okoye has huge upside in this years DT class and next

R2a .. Brian Leonard .. a power runner, and a receiver and blocker, who can move the chains, help out the OL and catch down the field. Versatile enough to move to FB if we draft a much better RB than Lynch in 2008

R2b ... Anthony Gonzalez, a true No2

R4 ... Zac DeOssie, our MLB who can at least as good as Willis. And if DeOssie doesn't work out we can pick up someone like Dan Connor in 2008 and move Angelo inside.

Lynch isn't good enough to help us get to the SuperBowl, this year or next. But draft Okoye, Leonard and Gonzalez this year followed by Dan Connor and someone of the order of Slaton or Rice in 2008 will take us deep into the postseason then.
                              Are you really going to say Marshawn Lynch is overrated and then say they should draft Brian Leonard?

Comment

Working...
                              X